Steven Wilson working on 5.1 mixes of Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" and "Ricochet"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:SB:unsure: Now I'm wondering how many in Surround! If its just Phaedra (1974), Rubycon(1975), Ricochet (Live) [1975], Stratosfear (1976), Encore(Live) [1977], Cyclone (1978), and Force Majeure (1979) I'll be over the moon!

Could we ever see the earlier TD Quads reissued at some point in time?

Considering the seventies time period of those albums , we could see the release of any "shelved " quads amongst those titles.
Afterall Steven Wilson is at the helm. :)

The thread about this topic over at the SH forum has gotten a bit interesting. Starting on page 6 there are posts from members "Wouter" and "24db" who are involved in the project in some way. No solid details have been made public as they can't talk out of turn but some hints have been dropped.
Nice.....yes, very interesting. Should be a good one. I will certainly be looking forward to the final info on content.

The thread about this topic over at the SH forum has gotten a bit interesting. Starting on page 6 there are posts from members "Wouter" and "24db" who are involved in the project in some way. No solid details have been made public as they can't talk out of turn but some hints have been dropped.
Intriguing read on SHF, got to have it, its a no brainer for me like the huge Floyd box set, though hopefully it won't be quite as expensive :eek:

Intriguing read on SHF, got to have it, its a no brainer for me like the huge Floyd box set, though hopefully it won't be quite as expensive :eek:

I'm in on this if it hits, not enough of this style music available in surround; as long as it doesn't cost anywhere near the Toto "All In" set (more like- "All up in my pocket book:censored:"!)

Interesting news , well tidbits really , as we won't know box contents (virgin years 73 - 80 ) until closer to Xmas.
There is a bit that won't be there , OHR Tapes and Green Desert , Sorcerer ST . and something live (don't worry they recorded lots of 70's live stuff during the virgin yrs).
And I agree with plan9 (as he stated on the shf ) "Hope they release some standalone 5.1" for us fans, that are not fanatics " [ Good on him :) ]
(budgeting type fans like me want that ) I'm a fan just not every cd or BD at once please .
There are musings about UMG committed to keeping the cost down, and another smaller set .

Preorder up for a target date of MAY/JUNE 2019.
But once again we'll know a--ROUND ..Xmas.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting indeed. I look forward to this release but I doubt I will be able to afford another ‘Pink Floyd-The Early Years’ style boxset :unsure:

Interesting news , well tidbits really , as we won't know box contents (virgin years 73 - 80 ) until closer to Xmas.
There is a bit that won't be there , OHR Tapes and Green Desert , Sorcerer ST . and something live (don't worry they recorded lots of 70's live stuff during the virgin yrs).
And I agree with plan9 (as he stated on the shf ) "Hope they release some standalone 5.1" for us fans, that are not fanatics " [ Good on him :) ]
(budgeting type fans like me want that ) I'm a fan just not every cd or BD at once please .
There are musings about UMG committed to keeping the cost down, and another smaller set .

Preorder up for a target date of MAY/JUNE 2019.
But once again we'll know a--ROUND ..Xmas.
Esoteric have released Tangerine Dream "The Pink Years Albums: 1970-1973 Box set" containing Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Zeit & Atem. Which as its Christmas and I have some amazon vouchers I've ordered. Whether the remasters are off the Quad masters remains to be seen or more accurately heard (though I've only DP II)! https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/early-tangerine-dream.2462/

I haven't looked around much to see how much of this is known, but anyway a cut and paste from Steven's Twitter ;
"On the classic album remixing front, I’ve reluctantly had to decline most projects of this kind recently in order to concentrate on my own music.
But one project I did take on was a substantial Tangerine Dream box set focussing on the golden 70’s Virgin Records era – although this is strictly
speaking not a “remix” project, as the majority of my work was selecting and mixing previously unreleased studio recordings, 3 full CD’s worth in fact.
For a TD fan this should be a pretty mind blowing release, and if all goes to plan it should be out in the Spring.

I have also been slowly moving towards finishing another remix in the XTC series, as well as one more Jethro Tull album, 1979’s Stormwatch,
I would expect both to be late 2019 releases."

EDIT: Sorry for mucking up this thread, I thought I was in a different one...although it IS Tangerine Dream related........

I haven't looked around much to see how much of this is known, but anyway a cut and paste from Steven's Twitter ;
"...one project I did take on was a substantial Tangerine Dream box set focussing on the golden 70’s Virgin Records era – although this is strictly
speaking not a “remix” project, as the majority of my work was selecting and mixing previously unreleased studio recordings, 3 full CD’s worth in fact.
For a TD fan this should be a pretty mind blowing release, and if all goes to plan it should be out in the Spring.

EDIT: Sorry for mucking up this thread, I thought I was in a different one...although it IS Tangerine Dream related........

NOTHING mucky about this post!

Oh oh, not talking remix on the TD Virgin Box . Just cds........

Good to know Tull has another coming , though .

Anyways Christmas has come and gone and I'm eagerly awaiting the official tracks list for that TD box . Perhaps one day soon.

"On the classic album remixing front, I’ve reluctantly had to decline most projects of this kind recently in order to concentrate on my own music.
But one project I did take on was a substantial Tangerine Dream box set focussing on the golden 70’s Virgin Records era – although this is strictly

I’m a little confused by this… I had read that we were getting a couple of TD albums in 5.1 surround… Does this mean that we are not getting those albums, or is someone else doing the 5.1 mixes, not SW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a little confused by this… I had read that we were getting a couple of TD albums in 5.1 surround… Does this mean that we are not getting those albums, or is someone else doing the 5.1 mixes, not SW?

This is lifted directly from the latest SoundonSound magazine, which features a substantial interview with Steven Wilson on his remixing work:
We leave Wilson with his sixth solo album to write and record, a slew of further live shows to perform, a Blu-ray DVD of a recent Albert Hall date set for release, and various remixes in the works, including the next in his series for both Jethro Tull and XTC, plus a boxed set of Tangerine Dream material set for release with his 5.1 remixes of Phaedra, Ricochet and an unheard 1974 album.

This is lifted directly from the latest SoundonSound magazine, which features a substantial interview with Steven Wilson on his remixing work:

Thanks, but there’s still a discrepancy between this and what Steven wrote about this not really being a remix job, so I’m still confused… I guess we’ll see in due course

Back