Steven Wilson Steven Wilson's thoughts on streaming music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a nephew that says all the kids in his High School just hack Spotify accounts to stream without paying so the artist makes no money there.

Not to mention all the people who still just illegally DL music so IMO Steven Wilson doesn't grasp the practical reality of streaming music and that's why the industry is still hurting.

All streaming does is digitize music and make it easier to access but it also makes it easier for people to just hack Spotify and stream for free also.

As MANY artists, even big name acts, will testify: The REAL money is in touring and make NO mistake: the artists will never be properly remunerated for their music, especially when giant [read: GREEDY] conglomerates are in charge of distributing their music.

so independently distribute like Pearl Jam did, or at least I think they tried to do.

it doesn't make any sense to me that there is no system to charge per stream. Even a .10 charge split 50/50 is better than the deal they have now.

I hate to say it, but the audience of people buying physical copies of mainstream releases is increasingly going to be diehard fans, luddites, and cranks. I increasingly only buy physical copies of surround media, because streaming is not an option (obviously) and I don't really have the time to rip my surround collection so I still use the disc spinners. If I want to hear a new stereo-only release, I just stream it. The only RBCDs I'm buying are esoteric classical material that's not on Spotify.

Reading this I think about something I read that a member of King Crimson said...that they went on tour and received no pay 'cause the record company told them that "touring and live shows are in support of your album". Wow.

This is where I ended up since my last Post on this Thread (March, 17).

I’ve stated in other Threads that I was planning on purchasing a turntable. Then, I did purchase one but ended up returning it, unopened. The reason? I had second thoughts after reading about and watching videos on taking care of your cartridge needle and vinyl records. WTH?? I have a hard enough time taking care of myself. :LOL:

Although, I still find the vinyl phenomenon fascinating and may revisit it again someday, I ended up trying out the free 30-day trial on Tidal and I just started my first paid subscription month. In a nutshell, I like it a lot. I’m using the 16/44.1 kHz version and can say that it sounds really good, with the exception of the really compressed crap. Ever since I purchased my new Denon AVR, CD quality has sounded fantastic. I could not say that before. So, now I either Tidal or play my surround disc titles via my OPPO player. Occasionally, I will attach one of my external hard drives to the Denon AVR because it will play every file Gapless. However, the only Surround titles it will play are DTS-CD so I use the OPPO.

After much research, I’ve come to a conclusion on where we are now and will be for a few years. Mostly vinyl and streaming music from places like Amazon, iTunes, Spotify and Tidal. It seems, the only way your going to find any two-channel (stereo) music that isn’t compressed to death is via the vinyl format. I see streaming for the masses that mostly don’t care for quality and vinyl for people who do. Unfortunately, the future for surround sound releases looks bleak. I hope I’m wrong and it changes but right now, I see a niche, trickle effect, taking hold.

Back