Talking Heads 'Stop Making Sense' Blu-Ray October 13, 2009

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomwrock

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense is being released on Blu-ray October 13, 2009, with DTS-HD MA 5.1. Amazon has it for preorder at $21.99.

Two important things about this one:

1. Would be nice (if unlikely) that the fullscreen image will be included, and

2. A widening of the dynamic range and separation unfortunately absent on the DVD edition.

But if it's just a transfer of the DVD, without any other extras or interest, I'd pass on this one, the video's only gonna be so good anyway, and the audio options are what will really matter, IMO.

ED :)

Here is a review at digitalbits.

Palm's new Blu-ray Disc edition, released to commemorate the film's 25th anniversary, features a new 1080p transfer mastered from a 35mm interpositive. The resulting image presents the film looking as good as we've seen it at home. Stop Making Sense has always been somewhat high-contrast and grainy - a little soft on detail. But that's certainly true to the theatrical experience of the film, and the BD image captures it all well. Blacks are deep and dark, and fine detail is fair. The occasional nick or scratch is visible on the negative, but the image overall is quite good looking, with moderate grain rendering a very film-like quality to the presentation. The audio quality is absolutely fantastic. Lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1 is available in your choice of the live audience "feature" mix or a "studio" mix (of the two, the studio mix is recommended, as it makes the best use of the 5.1 audio space). Also available is the same PCM 2.0 stereo mix that was available on the DVD.

Extras include everything that was on the previous DVD edition, including audio commentary with Demme and all four band members, storyboards with notes by Byrne, a pair of bonus songs, Byrne's self-interview video, text notes and the film's trailer. Exclusive to the Blu-ray is a never-before-seen, hour-long press conference with the full band, filmed in 1999 at the occasion of the film's theatrical re-release.

Stop Making Sense was actually the first DVD i bought - maybe I could make this one the first bluray. :)

Did anyone get this yet?
In Canada I was hoping to get this today at local futureshop but looks like its not out till Oct.27th so there is another thing to wait for besides my KC late orders.

peter

Did anyone get this yet?
In Canada I was hoping to get this today at local futureshop but looks like its not out till Oct.27th so there is another thing to wait for besides my KC late orders.

peter

I picked this up over the weekend. My receiver is in the shop so my back-up will only decode the standard DTS stream. So far I have only listened to the "Studio" 5.1 mix and it sounds great. I have never heard the DVD version so I can't compare but the dynamic range and soundstage are rendered quite well - the rears are not overly active but they work well in context of the overall presentation.

The PQ is OK but not the best I have seen - there are a few spots here and there where I noticed some flaws but this is such a great concert film that it's very easy to overlook - definitely happy with this purchase. I rarely sit through an entire concert disc - this had me from start to finish!

Did anyone get this yet?

peter

And even at that the FS may not even have it in-store. They hardly get any of the new BR music titles on the release date. Where are the ones from the last 2 weeks, Rick Wakeman and Toto? Not to be seen. I wouldn't count on getting it at BestBuy either. HMV will likely have it in limited quantites at a higher price than the $19.99 listed by FS and BB. This is just what I have noticed from my year+ of buying music BR titles.

And even at that the FS may not even have it in-store. They hardly get any of the new BR music titles on the release date. Where are the ones from the last 2 weeks, Rick Wakeman and Toto? Not to be seen. I wouldn't count on getting it at BestBuy either. HMV will likely have it in limited quantites at a higher price than the $19.99 listed by FS and BB. This is just what I have noticed from my year+ of buying music BR titles.

Guy, I hear you. I did go a extra step with FS employee and asked them to check their computer for inventory for this title and it showed 130 copies ordered across all their stores in Canada. Between that and seeing that amazon says its a Oct.27th release date will recheck FS on the 27th to see if they have gotten it in. Well its worth the wait for me to get it at 19.99 and I prefer in store vs through mail.

peter

Guy, I hear you. I did go a extra step with FS employee and asked them to check their computer for inventory for this title and it showed 130 copies ordered across all their stores in Canada. Between that and seeing that amazon says its a Oct.27th release date will recheck FS on the 27th to see if they have gotten it in. Well its worth the wait for me to get it at 19.99 and I prefer in store vs through mail.

peter

Thanks for the information. I guess an order for store pickup next Tuesday morning will be called for.

Even the lossy Dolby 5.1 on the regular DVD sounded excellent. Can't wait to hear it in DTS MA.

Just walked in the local BB today and picked it up. If this Tuesday is the official release day in Canada someone better tell BB. Excellent sound. I like the studio version so far the best. Tighter sound. This one also seems to use the center channel more than most concerts for everything including the bass. Sounds fantastic. Video is probably as good as it could be. Still better than the regular version from that respect. The audio is perfect anyway.

Just walked in the local BB today and picked it up. If this Tuesday is the official release day in Canada someone better tell BB. Excellent sound. I like the studio version so far the best. Tighter sound. This one also seems to use the center channel more than most concerts for everything including the bass. Sounds fantastic. Video is probably as good as it could be. Still better than the regular version from that respect. The audio is perfect anyway.

Guy, well they just got it at FS here in Vancouver BC today and I have it in my hands now. Guess it takes a bit more time getting over those Rocky Mountains to get over to the wet coast.
Can't wait to hear this one but it might take a back seat to KC for tonight as my wife just called me to let me know I got something in mail from Burning Shed today.

peter

Back