Stormbringer: Remastered/+DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britmarc

Remastered CD/DVD edition
Original Stereo Album

1974 Quad Mixes in Stereo and 5.1 versions

Audio CD (19 Jan 2009)
Label: EMI
ASIN: B001M2IXEA

Amazon.uk GBP 15:69

I was the the one who wrote and asked.

They (EMI) didn't wanna include the high rez track because the general public has no interest in such. That may be the case (it is, really, due to crappy marketing), but it's really a missed opportunity not including such. It's not like it was recorderd for DD 5.1 or even DTS 5.1. If they could have included a real high rez DVDA they could have satisfied everybody!

I wrote and complained about this, it'a possibly wayyyy too late, but I encourage everybody who has an interested in high rez surround to make their voices heard, unless it'll will for sure never be included again!

write, and speak up;

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

and they can forward your views to EMI.

On another note Mute is also going to release the Nick Cave catalog in 5.1 surround. Demand high rez from them also, wheter it'll be SACD or DVDA:

[email protected]

Speak up!! Make your voices heard!!!

They (EMI) didn't wanna include the high rez track because the general public has no interest in such.
Actually EMI has signed an exclusive worldwide deal with Depeche Mode, too.
Their new album is scheduled for April - if you want it to be hi-rez just like all its predecessors were, think twice about contacting the company: http://www.emigroup.com/Links/Default.htm

Track Listings
Disc: 1
1. Stormbringer (2009 Digital Remaster)
2. Love Don't Mean A Thing (2009 Digital Remaster)
3. Holy Man (2009 Digital Remaster)
4. Hold On (2009 Digital Remaster)
5. Lady Double Dealer (2009 Digital Remaster)
6. You Can't Do It Right (2009 Digital Remaster)
7. High Ball Shooter (2009 Digital Remaster)
8. The Gypsy (2009 Digital Remaster)
9. Soldier Of Fortune (2009 Digital Remaster)
10. Holy Man (Glenn Hughes Remix)
11. You Can't Do It Right (Glenn Hughes Remix)
12. Love Don't Mean A Thing (Glenn Hughes Remix)
13. Hold On (Glenn Hughes Remix)
14. High Ball Shooter (Instrumental)
Disc: 2
1. Stormbringer (Quadrophonic Mix) (5.1 DTS 48/24)
2. Love Don't Mean A Thing (Quadrophonic Mix) (5.1 DTS 48/24)
3. Holy Man (Quadrophonic Mix) (5.1 DTS 48/24)
4. Hold On (Quadrophonic Mix) (5.1 DTS 48/24)
5. Lady Double Dealer (Quadrophonic Mix) (5.1 DTS 48/24)
6. You Can't Do It Right (Quadrophonic Mix) (5.1 DTS 48/24)
7. High Ball Shooter (Quadrophonic Mix) (5.1 DTS 48/24)
8. The Gypsy (Quadrophonic Mix) (5.1 DTS 48/24)
9. Soldier Of Fortune (Quadrophonic Mix) (5.1 DTS 48/24)
10. Stormbringer (Quadrophonic Mix) (Stereo 48/24)
11. Love Don't Mean A Thing (Quadrophonic Mix) (Stereo 48/24)
12. Holy Man (Quadrophonic Mix) (Stereo 48/24)
13. Hold On (Quadrophonic Mix) (Stereo 48/24)
14. Lady Double Dealer (Quadrophonic Mix) (Stereo 48/24)
15. You Can't Do It Right (Quadrophonic Mix) (Stereo 48/24)
16. High Ball Shooter (Quadrophonic Mix) (Stereo 48/24)
17. The Gypsy (Quadrophonic Mix) (Stereo 48/24)
18. Soldier Of Fortune (Quadrophonic Mix) (Stereo 48/24)
19. Stormbringer (German TV Clip)

I was the the one who wrote and asked.

They (EMI) didn't wanna include the high rez track because the general public has no interest in such. That may be the case (it is, really, due to crappy marketing), but it's really a missed opportunity not including such. It's not like it was recorderd for DD 5.1 or even DTS 5.1. If they could have included a real high rez DVDA they could have satisfied everybody!

I wrote and complained about this, it'a possibly wayyyy too late, but I encourage everybody who has an interested in high rez surround to make their voices heard, unless it'll will for sure never be included again!

write, and speak up;

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

and they can forward your views to EMI.

On another note Mute is also going to release the Nick Cave catalog in 5.1 surround. Demand high rez from them also, wheter it'll be SACD or DVDA:

[email protected]

Well i wrote asking the question and the reply from EMI was pretty much there was/is no demand for a full strength DVDA of this !!! DTS 96/24 is good enough !

Just suppose - and I mean suppose - EMI could be talked into doing a full DVDA.
Their reasoning is along the lines of "The hardware to play DVDA is limited & the market small. DTS 9624 was chosen to get to the widest possible market as an acceptable compromise".
I am currently trying to change their minds...........

Their reasoning is along the lines of "The hardware to play DVDA is limited & the market small. DTS 9624 was chosen to get to the widest possible market as an acceptable compromise".

That was basically the rsponse to my question why not DVDA as well. They seem to acknowledge that there is a market, just not one they want to entertain unless its the 'Beatles'.

I ordered my copy through Deep-Purple.net and received an e-mail yesterday to confirm that it will be posted on 23 February. Can't wait really because I have not heard the quad version for a long time - problems with my JVC demodulator.

The reason that "The hardware to play DVDA is limited & the market small" is because the labels screwed the hardware companies by their failure to release new product (virtually) after 2004. I've always said that the hardware guys did their part, it was the software guys who dropped the ball. Once the software stopped, why keep making players? (Thank you Oppo)

Amazon uk sent me an email telling me that my copy has been dispatched! Still waiting to see exactly how much it cost with the exchange rate. Guessing about $19 including shipping. Would have preferred hi-res, but a new surround release is appreciated!

K

Good news here - would you please share your views on the release once it arrives?

In fact, I've been thinking about a release calendar here at QQ for some time and finally came up with something. If interested, please let me know what you think! And any input is more than welcome.

Amazon uk sent me an email telling me that my copy has been dispatched! Still waiting to see exactly how much it cost with the exchange rate. Guessing about $19 including shipping. Would have preferred hi-res, but a new surround release is appreciated!

K

Received this email this morn...

"Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.
You saved ÂŁ3.71 with Amazon.co.uk's Pre-order Price Guarantee!
The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.
The following title(s) decreased in price:
Stormbringer: Remastered/+DVD
Price on order date: ÂŁ15.69
Price charged at dispatch: ÂŁ11.98
Lowest price up to and including release date: ÂŁ11.98
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: ÂŁ3.71
ÂŁ3.71 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee. "

hey, even some savings...no HiRes but not bad for 12 GBP...
Yeah . I preodered it in ...October-Nov????

Can't wait for Krimson's MCH discs..unfortunately I don't dig PT, it don't move me or speak to me, so I can't be geeked about it-I'm happy for all of you fans out there, though...

always had been amazed by stupidity and low efficiency of thinking/acting by big corporations.
4 or 8GB quite enough room to put there HiRes stereo PCM, LoRes DTS (both can be read by any modern DVD machines) and HiRes MLP or PPCM.
i believe those released DTS version were produced not from .mp3 sources. hence what a big deal to pack source tracks to different formats and put them together on one media?

"The hardware to play DVDA is limited & the market small. DTS 9624 was chosen to get to the widest possible market as an acceptable compromise".
so what?
maybe small but anyway still there. in the waiting.
that's is great advantage of DVD media to bring to the end user not only the different contains but even same stuff in different forms, format and specifications, to finally please any consumer.

what the big labels did that they did nothing to influence the grows of the small market.
even in the face of fall of sales of obsolete CDs they cannot take look at future and start to build their new consumers base.

well this arrived yesterday so i had a quick listen last night my initial impressions:

DTS presentation good
PCM stereo also good
No MLP bad
The Mix sound pretty much like an original quad mix rather than a modern 5.1 mix.

not the best Deep Purple album but not bad, the sound though on both teh album and Cd sounds a bit thin, I love Roger Glovers bass sound on In rock etc.. and Glenn Hughes just sounds poor by comparison.

I assume at some point we will get to vote on this !!

My copy showed up a few days ago and I've had a chance to play it a few times now. I think it sounds great! I wish it would have been released as dvd-a, but I'm not real sure my 50 year old ears could hear the difference any more. But I can tell a huge difference between the dts mix on here and my old quad-dts conversion I got a few years back. This sounds so much clearer and the bass really comes through better. It's not true quad though as they have remixed it to use the center/sub channels. Haven't listened to the stereo mix on either disc and probably won't, other than to maybe listen to the new remixed tracks once.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it and even though it's only dts, I'm happy to add another surround title to my collection. Here's hoping the Paranoid disc becomes a reality.

K

I love quad mixes from the 70's but I'm not into DVD-A or SACD
the answer then is not DTS but SQ, QS or CD-4

Someone that has both versions (new dvd and old quad) can compare the two releases removing the center/sub channel from the new one?
Just to understand if they derived the 5.1 mix from the quad, leaving the original quad untouched (same as the old DTS CD by HDS), or messed up with the masters.

Back