Streaming multichannel via SPDIF

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayards

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Until recently my Media PC upstairs was wi-fi connected to an Xbox 360 downstairs and that was attached by optical to 5.1 amp. I played all my lovely 5.1 surround albums encoded in WMA format.

I now have the same music on a new Media PC in the lounge - only difference is that it is all on the hard drive. The new MCPC is connected via coax to same amp.

Media Center plays the 5 channel test, and all DVD, Blu-ray and HD-DVD films pass their 5.1 sound through the SPIDF connection fine - even using native Windows Media Player 11.

However when I play a known WMA surround file I can only get stereo. Reading other sites and this it seems as if this will have to be the case! Anyone know any better player software that can play WMA in surround via SPIDF, or should I re-encode my surround material to something else that can cope.

Any ideas gratefully received

Howard

I think this question was asked & answered yesterday. The thread contained both a software and hardware suggestion. Do a search; I am sure you will find it. If I happen across it today I will post back here.

Back