HiRez Poll Styx - THE MISSION [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Styx - THE MISSION

• Total voters
When I put on new new music, I usually listen until 3 or 4 songs come up in a row that don't grab my attention and then I move on to something else. I just listened to "The Mission" (stereo) for the first time and was expecting to move on but....I listened to the entire album! I was impressed. I'm not a big Styx fan, however, I like the surround disc of "Cyclorama" which occupies a place of honor on my shelf. I am planning on buying "The Mission" on Amazon, hopefully, in conjunction with the Amonia Avenue bluray (not available on Amazon yet).

I think he’s talking about dead center in the rear channels... when you have stuff dead center in the rear channels, it makes the discrete elements in the left and right rear a little less clear (IMO)... I also love vocals dead center in the front ;)

spot on! 👍
referred to among other things as the "Centre Back" position in ye olde Quadde days, it was a bit of a no-no to have the same content in both Rear channels simultaneously (irrespective of delivery method/format) as it would image the Rears away from emanating behind or to the side and more upfront, thus destroying the surround effect of whatevers going on back/over there.

(knocking one of the Rears out of phase, so long as the consumer delivery method were not to be something like SQ, would result in a more diffuse yet more surround-y effect).

what recently reminded me of this phenomenon was playing a so-called "unreleased 5.1" of Van Halen's Jump on a DL from what i suspect was a bootleg DTS BD-R compilation; the exact same 'big synth' bits had been positioned (potentially duplicated from one stem?) in both Rears and it skewed the Rears more upfront, which i am sure was not the intention of the fellow who created the mix. unless its a genuine mix by an engineer who was paid to do it, in which case i know why it was shelved.

anyway, apologies for the diversion, back to Styx ☺️

Back