Styx - The Mission - coming to 5.1 surround Blu-Ray in July!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure hope they are gentle on the mastering of the Bluray for this album as that is my only criticism of the cd as it is mastered hotter than I would like and this is after they said they are going for an anolog recording and trying to do it like the classic albums but they forgot to be gentle on the mastering.
Dynamic Range are mostly between 7-9 and most of their older classic albums its between 11-14.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/130718

The songs are great though as have been relistening in past couple of days.
Here's another interesting read I found while waiting for this:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/styx-the-mission-review/

I sure hope they are gentle on the mastering of the Bluray for this album as that is my only criticism of the cd as it is mastered hotter than I would like and this is after they said they are going for an anolog recording and trying to do it like the classic albums but they forgot to be gentle on the mastering.
Dynamic Range are mostly between 7-9 and most of their older classic albums its between 11-14.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/130718

The songs are great though as have been relistening in past couple of days.
Here's another interesting read I found while waiting for this:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/styx-the-mission-review/

Hopefully, since STYX went to the trouble of recording The Mission all analogue, the 96/24 BD~A 5.1 should comfortably eclipse the 'limitations' of the 16/44.1 RBCD.......at least in theory! I'm sure it will sound SUPERB!:giggle:

I swore my vinyl had a higher DR...but I’ll double check that. Whoop!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised, Gene, since the LP version usually has higher DR ratings than the digital counterpart [but NOT always] especially since the MissionLP was probably mastered from an all analogue chain...and not a digital intermediate!

I got the email from Amazon stating:
"Hello,
We're writing about the order you placed on April 27, 2018 (Order# 111-5690531-6169832). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:
Styx "The Mission [CD/Blu-Ray]"
Estimated arrival date: July 20, 2018
We'll make every effort to get the delayed items to you as soon as possible. Any other items in this order will be shipped according to the delivery dates listed on Your Orders:

I am still a bit concerned that it is not offered on the Styx site. Btw, WAS there ever a quad of Grand Illusion released???

Don't trust vinyl DR readings:

[MEDIA]

Excellent video... I love when he says he knows there was know difference between the masters because he mastered them both! Still, while in this case the DR is different but the master is the same, there are many examples I’ve heard where the vinyl and cd masters DO sound significantly different.

Thanks for the video. How many new vinyls in 2018 have a unique master next to the CD? Very few I’d guess.

But anyway, sometimes there ARE obvious differences, but it’s interesting whether it’s because of a different master or the (limitations of the) format in itself or other reasons.

Here's the full info on the release:
https://us.udiscovermusic.com/styx-the-mission-cd-blu-ray.html

The two-disc package will include a CD of the original album, as well as a Blu-ray of THE MISSION mixed in 5.1 Surround Sound by singer/guitarist TOMMY SHAW and producer Will Evankovich accompanied by stunning visualizations for each of the album’s 14 songs based on the album artwork. Other extras on the Blu-ray include: “The Making of The Mission Documentary” of exclusive interviews of SHAW and Evankovich, four music videos—“Gone Gone Gone” (official video), “Gone Gone Gone” (video created by NASA), “Radio Silence” (lyric video) and “Radio Silence” (live video from Syracuse, NY)—and three hi-res audio playback modes.

DISC 1 CD
1 OVERTURE
2 GONE GONE GONE
3 HUNDRED MILLION MILES FROM HOME
4 TROUBLE AT THE BIG SHOW
5 LOCOMOTIVE
6 RADIO SILENCE
7 THE GREATER GOOD
8 TIME MAY BEND
9 TEN THOUSAND WAYS
10 RED STORM
11 ALL SYSTEMS STABLE
12 KHEDIVE
13 THE OUTPOST
14 MISSION TO MARS

DISC 2 - BLU-RAY
THE MISSION IN 96 KHZ 24-BIT
• 5.1 SURROUND SOUND AND STEREO
BONUS CONTENT:
• THE MISSION: 5.1 AUDIO VISUALIZER VERSION
• MAKING THE MISSION: AN IN - DEPTH LOOK INTO THE CREATION OF STYX’S LATEST CONCEPT ALBUM.

MUSIC VIDEOS:
• GONE GONE GONE
• RADIO SILENCE
• BREAKING THROUGH FEAT. “GONE GONE GONE”

Approx Run Time: 162 mins
Audio: 96kHz 24-bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
96kHz 24-bit Dolby TrueHD 5.1
96kHz 24-bit PCM Stereo
Video: 1080p / 23.98fps / 1080i / 29.97fps /
16:9 Widescreen

20180606_150921_9443_1045415.jpeg

http://styxworld.com/news/453111/styx-announces-two-new-album-releases-for-june-and

Here is official from Styx site announcing the 2 bluray releases.

I know Clint mentioned the Tommy Shaw-"Sing for the Day", I am really curious about this, did anyone watch it on AXS as we don't get that station in Canada.

Really interesting lineup of stuff to watch all things Styx on June 30th on AXS

And, on June 30, AXS TV presents a “Saturday STYX” lineup headlined by insightful conversations and classic performances. The day begins at 1pE, as TOMMY SHAW, JAMES “JY” YOUNG, and LAWRENCE GOWAN sit down with Dan Rather to discuss their legendary career, the creative process behind some of their most enduring songs, and what drives them to keep performing in “The Big Interview.” Next, STYX joins The Red Rocker for an epic hangout session backstage at The Venetian in Las Vegas in “Rock & Roll Road Trip With Sammy Hagar” at 2pE. Then, the band sails into Sin City for an unforgettable career-spanning set in “STYX: Live At The Orleans Arena Las Vegas” at 2:30pE; followed by TOMMY SHAW’s incredible performance with Cleveland’s renowned Contemporary Youth Orchestra in Sing For The Day! at 3:30pE. The block will re-air in its entirety immediately following at 5pE.

http://styxworld.com/news/453111/styx-announces-two-new-album-releases-for-june-and

Here is official from Styx site announcing the 2 bluray releases.

I know Clint mentioned the Tommy Shaw-"Sing for the Day", I am really curious about this, did anyone watch it on AXS as we don't get that station in Canada.

Really interesting lineup of stuff to watch all things Styx on June 30th on AXS

And, on June 30, AXS TV presents a “Saturday STYX” lineup headlined by insightful conversations and classic performances. The day begins at 1pE, as TOMMY SHAW, JAMES “JY” YOUNG, and LAWRENCE GOWAN sit down with Dan Rather to discuss their legendary career, the creative process behind some of their most enduring songs, and what drives them to keep performing in “The Big Interview.” Next, STYX joins The Red Rocker for an epic hangout session backstage at The Venetian in Las Vegas in “Rock & Roll Road Trip With Sammy Hagar” at 2pE. Then, the band sails into Sin City for an unforgettable career-spanning set in “STYX: Live At The Orleans Arena Las Vegas” at 2:30pE; followed by TOMMY SHAW’s incredible performance with Cleveland’s renowned Contemporary Youth Orchestra in Sing For The Day! at 3:30pE. The block will re-air in its entirety immediately following at 5pE.

WOW...I owe you a big thanks(y)...I didn't even know that channel existed...and I have it on Directv...channel 340!...I'm watching it right now...a documentary of Deep Purple Machine Head...I've looked ahead at the programs and it's loaded with music shows...a lot of Prince material today...I'll look ahead and schedule some recordings of the programs...

Back