Suggestions for 5.1/quad-to-stereo mixer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I'd like to have the capability to mixdown 5.1 or quad to stereo, using any combination of inputs. Reason? Analyzing mixes by soloing one or two channels, or this:

All front channels -----> stereo R
All rear channels -----> stereo L

Back in the old analog days (70's), Easily done. Since I was using two stereo amps -- one front, one rear -- I simply plugged one stereo-to-mono adapter into each unit's headphone out, then used those as R and L headphone inputs. The balance and volume controls on each unit easily provided any volume level for each input channel.

Here in the digital world, not so easy.

More channels to deal with, plus can't do that headphone-out trick.
And since I'll be using the six-channel analog out of my player(s) -- with no control over volume -- it'll have to have individual level control.

So ... I need some kind of basic analog mixer that takes six RCA inputs, mixes, and assigns two channels of output.

Any suggestions for something basic that will do this?
Be nice if it were small, cheap, and unpowered (passive).

Thanks.

71492.jpg

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7149

Wait a minute, are you envisioning a box with nothing but RCA connectors and potentiometers?
No "active" electronics?

Turns out, no. Reviews say I’ll need a powered mixer to get any volume.

This ART with 4 stereo RCA inputs looked great but is actually mono output only:
BB6A8437-6207-4562-A060-751EC5EC9AA0.jpeg

So I ordered this $60 stereo, powered one that arrives today:
FF84D35F-1D0C-4813-A4C2-FDEE822C0D23.jpeg

No headphone out level (lame), so hope I can use input levels for that.
Won’t be able to fully control individual levels on each stereo input pair, but ... best I came up with.

If you've got analogue outs can you just send a pair to different inputs on an amp? Say, Front LR to Aux, Rear LR to Aux 2, centre & sub to Tuner, for example?

You just gave me an idea for a whole new thread:

Things We Lost With Digital

Actually, using a MC digital file and Audacity, you could re-assign channels and adjust individual channel levels very easily. In addition to all that, you can change phase characteristics, EQ characteristic and more. It would provide much more capability and flexibility for your analysis endeavors. Not to mention the software is free.

Back