Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folsom Prison is mainly ambience but sounds great and Silver which has some duets with George Jones and has the hit "Ghost Riders In The Sky" was remixed by Brian Ahearn who also remixed Emmylou Harris' Producer's Cut DVD~A....will give it a listen tonight to confirm the quality of the 5.1.

Actually never had the opportunity to listen to "San Quentin" fully in quad back in the day. But I was surprised at how good that rear channel sounded on one track. The track was supplied by Jim Fosgate on his SQ and Stereo Sampler tape which came with his Tate 101A . Some excellent quad tracks on that tape fwiw. (y)

Now I have to put the SACD Silver on my want list.
thanks,(y):D

Herbie Hancock - Thrust AF 4.0 SACD 2016

In case you all didn't notice ( ;) ), I have been updating the QQ Columbia Records (and associated labels) Page by noting their modern digital release. This includes the AF, AP, DV, Rhino, and other releases of these quad classics.

Check it out and let me know if I missed any, and it's also a great place to see what else might appear from D-V or some other modern label.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Columbia.htm

Ralphie...2 things...first...that is PEARL in the photo...second thing...read post 5 on THIS THREAD about Pearl

Although I usually respect poster Q8's analyses, he also includes Loggins and Messina's first album [which IMO was a great QUAD SACD from AF] in his analysis of what went wrong with Pearl. https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10945#comments

IMO, Quad 8 tracks aren't representative of the format and I'm sure the original Columbia QUAD masters would be much more representative of Pearl.

In almost EVERY case even fredblue [Adam] has commented on how much better the D~V or AF QUADs [from the master tapes] 'trump' [for wont of a better word] the Q8 or SQ/CD~4 sources.

Pearl always sounded great on vinyl and I'm sure a QUAD SACD would do it absolute justice. Even wonder whether SONY Japan would ever release it in their special 7" custom packaging in QUAD?

BTW, how does the MoFi Stereo SACD sound, Clint?

Although I usually respect poster Q8's analyses, he also includes Loggins and Messina's first album [which IMO was a great QUAD SACD from AF] in his analysis of what went wrong with Pearl. https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10945#comments

IMO, Quad 8 tracks aren't representative of the format and I'm sure the original Columbia QUAD masters would be much more representative of Pearl.

In almost EVERY case even fredblue [Adam] has commented on how much better the D~V or AF QUADs [from the master tapes] 'trump' [for wont of a better word] the Q8 or SQ/CD~4 sources.

Pearl always sounded great on vinyl and I'm sure a QUAD SACD would do it absolute justice. Even wonder whether SONY Japan would ever release it in their special 7" custom packaging in QUAD?

BTW, how does the MoFi Stereo SACD sound, Clint?

I haven't listened to it yet...I'll let you know after I do:)..I can't comment on the quad version of Pearl...I've never heard it..

Folsom Prison is mainly ambience but sounds great and Silver which has some duets with George Jones and has the hit "Ghost Riders In The Sky" was remixed by Brian Ahearn who also remixed Emmylou Harris' Producer's Cut DVD~A....will give it a listen tonight to confirm the quality of the 5.1.

I find Silver deadly ordinary. Not exactly the most exciting surround mix.

Please, Please Dutton-Vocalion

We want these Quads in SACD

BARRY MANILOW -
- II. Arista AQ-4016 (CD4), 7301-4016H (Q8) :)
- This One's for You. Arista AQ-4090 (CD4) :)
- Tryin' to Get the Feeling. Arista AQ-4060 (CD4), 7301-4060H (Q8) :)

Regards,

I'm sure I've mentioned this somewhere in the past, but I'd love a Frank Chacksfield 2fer:

Chacksfield Plays Bacharach combined with Chacksfield Plays Simon & Garfunkel & Jim Webb

I have both as Q4 conversions and they sound amazing. Since Dutton/Vocalion has already offered other Chacksfield albums as 2fers on CD, it would seem a logical choice for them to make. Both album offer superb Quad mixes.

R-2611232-1480347145-5134.jpeg.jpg

R-2233016-1271315592.jpeg.jpg

Another bit of fantastic soul from the RCA vault: The Nite-Liters' "Morning, Noon & The Nite-Liters". This is the whole New Birth horn section doing some of the best funky instrumentals ever recorded, including "K-Jee", which was later covered by MFSB and appeared on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Great stuff!

R-8738044-1511599651-8716.jpeg.jpgR-8738044-1511599654-6758.jpeg.jpg

Aside from "America's Choice" and "Yellow Fever", the rest of the HT quads were only available as Q8s here in the US. I always found it so ironic that the largest selection of quad titles is confined to one of the lower-quality formats...

You know why, right? Ford put Quad 8-track players in cars as optional equipment starting in 1970 and they really promoted the hell out of them (because it was a real pricey upgrade). They worked with Bill Lear's consortium to make sure there was plenty of software for them :)

Just one suggestion from me:

If Dutton Vocalion can reissue the Quadraphonic mix of "Blue Jays" from Justin Hayward & John Lodge (of the Moody Blues) on Multichannel SACD, I'll probably buy two of them! :)

justin%20hayward%20-%203.jpg

I'm digging this new country direction. Who else would have the stones to release QUAD COUNTRY music in 2018?

Hopefully, this paves the way for some Waylon, Dolly Parton, Jerry Reed and if we're really lucky: Donna Fargo, Roy Clark and maybe, maybe, just maybe some Jim Croce. All of these Quad titles have REALLY good mixes.

How controlling is Bob Dylan of his back catalog? Any chance we could get Nashville Skyline or Desire in modern, discrete SACD?

I'm very much in for obtaining anything in discrete form that was SQ-only back in the day.

Perhaps the Janis Ian Quad?

Please D-V!! Continue this more pop/country oriented direction. It's making me money poor but surround sound rich! :music

Last edited:

I stand by what I wrote. I still feel that some of the early mixes with elements placed willy-nilly do not make good Quad. Sure, they show you how things were recorded but they lack a coherence that makes me personally not feel any connection to the music. A Good Quad mix is immersive and logical where you have the drum kit either in front of you or behind you. Because you'll never see a drum kit with one guy hitting the snare in one corner, one dude hitting the kicker pedal across the room in another corner. It just doesn't make sense.

Add in the muddiness of the Q8 and some elements get buried or lost entirely. Another good example of a poor format is Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out at Night. ArmyofQuad's conversion finally breathed some life into the mix and EQ'd it properly so that you COULD tell the difference between a Ride Cymbal on the left or a Crash on the right.

I love Q8's, but sometimes.... their mastering sucks!

However, I will concede that since hearing the AF SACD of Loggins and Messina - with it's newfound clarity, I will say that I can now understand the intent of the engineer at the console. While I do not agree with the mixing choices, I can understand the separating of the drum equipment. It does allow the listener to hear each individual part.

I'd just rather hear it across the front or the back. It's why I often say I'd love to have access to the multitracks so I could show what I could do. Anybody who has heard my own personal remixes loves them!

Minnie Riperton/Johnny Mathis/Andy Williams/Switched On Bach?

Switched On Bach would require artist approval from Wendy Carlos.

The others - Minnie Riperton, Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams - are all from Sony and could be very do-able!

A Minnie Riperton two-fer in Surround SACD with Perfect Angel and Adventures in Paradise would be excellent.
Great idea.

On the easy listening front I wonder what might be possible for James Last - and even Bert Kaempfert?

On the pop front I'd love Paranoid by Black Sabbath and Piano Man by Billy Joel. Not to mention Santana's first album.

On the easy listening front I wonder what might be possible for James Last - and even Bert Kaempfert?

On the pop front I'd love Paranoid by Black Sabbath and Piano Man by Billy Joel. Not to mention Santana's first album.

Billy Joel and Santana are part of the Sony Music Quad Catalog.
So you never know. :)

The James Last Quads are a lot of fun but as most of them are comprised of medleys, I wonder if the rights wouldn't get a bit pricier. I have a hard time understanding the whole rights issue.

One of the reasons those Last albums are so much fun is that we get to hear hits from the Glam era (Sweet, Slade, etc...) mixed in with some Wings (Jet), Hollies, Golden Earring (Radar Love), Abba and more underground poppy stuff like Shady Lady and some of the best and worst of Schlager but sung in (sometimes bad) English by a mixed chorus similar to the Ray Conniff bunch but as if after too many German beers. Extremely of its time, but I enjoy hearing these albums once in a while.

I'd love any Quad from the usual German Pop Gurus like Robert Delgado, James Last, Bert Kampfert, Pete Thomas, etc...

[video=youtube;nI3OC5TLavM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI3OC5TLavM&t=2s[/video]

Back