Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang. That's pretty cool that it's been done in hi-res, but I was hoping to finally get the announced/unreleased Quad version. I'm sure most of us have heard the stereo version. Ah well, it was just an idea.

Dang. That's pretty cool that it's been done in hi-res, but I was hoping to finally get the announced/unreleased Quad version. I'm sure most of us have heard the stereo version. Ah well, it was just an idea.

Until the QUAD masters of RIOT are finally liberated from their dusty vaults, the good news is that the STEREO SACD of RIOT does decode well via my Pre/Pro's DSP mode....and AmazonUK is charging a royal bundle for this SACD remaster!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DP4I5FA/?tag=hraudio-21

In answer to your last question: ORG Music did release a great sounding remastered STEREO SACD of Sly's RIOT a few years ago and it's still available: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=8834#tracks

Here's a GREAT price: https://www.musicdirect.com/optical-disc/sly-and-the-family-stone-theres-a-riot-goin-on-hybrid-sacd

It's also available as a Stereo DSD Download from the ORG Music SACD transfer
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...ot_Goin_On-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

There was a Boston Pops recording of Sousa marches which had a jet fly from back to front, I think, on the last track and it was great. I do hope DV gets around to releasing it.

there's a terrific Mancini does Sousa Quad, does a whole fun thing with an airforce/airshow flypast! that might be it!?

Correct. Mancini Salutes Sousa and it was released in QUAD.

Yes, One of my favorite "go-to" titles. Correct me if I am wrong, we are closing in on the last of the Mancini Quads. In addition to Sousa, there is "Theme From"Z" and Other Film Music", "The Best of Mancini Vol1" and "The Best of Mancini Vol2"
The 2 best of titles just have too many iconic Mancini tunes not to release. Keeping fingers crossed.

Yes, One of my favorite "go-to" titles. Correct me if I am wrong, we are closing in on the last of the Mancini Quads. In addition to Sousa, there is "Theme From"Z" and Other Film Music", "The Best of Mancini Vol1" and "The Best of Mancini Vol2"
The 2 best of titles just have too many iconic Mancini tunes not to release. Keeping fingers crossed.

there's also his "Hangin' Out" album in Quad, which has TSOP on it among other things, DV are yet to release afaik?

Cool, would gladly snap up another Mancini.

Talking of TSOP - they could follow the Hues release up with MFSB - Love Is The Message and Rick D/GH with They Only Come Out At Night... Would have a nice Disco/Rock flow to things... :cool:

Really digging the last releases though, they're all superb!

great suggestions! 👍

DV could do an MFSB 2-fer, there's 2 fabulous Quads of theirs! (the other is "Philadelphia Freedom"..! i love, love, love it.. yes i do!)

there's a load of Winter family Quads (maybe we'll get them in the Winter rather than over the Summer! or possibly in "Autumn", as the song goes.. ho ho ho!), including 2 x previously unreleased Quads that we know exist, afaik there's;

1.) EW's White Trash with Jerry LaCroix,
2.) EWG TOCOAN,
3.) EWG Shock Treatment,
4.) EWG with Rick Derringer,
5.) Johnny Winter S/T,
6.) JW Still Alive & Well,
7.) JW Saints & Sinners,
8.) JW John Dawson Winter III..

just the thoughts getting me licking me lips! yummy!

Purely from a business standpoint though, the traditional audience for easy listening music is on a rapid decline, as far as pure numbers is concerned. Yes, they can count on a few new listeners ... but they are far better off expanding into more rock, jazz and blues titles if they want to grow. They simply can't sustain their business with a market segment that is well-into their 70s and 80s.
I would have to think that these latest rock/pop titles will end up selling better than the easy listening stuff. So I guess it comes down to how much more does it cost for them to license Art Garfunkel or the Guess Who than it does Danny Davis or Ray Conniff?

Hopefully this foray into rock/pop is paying off for them and they continue!

1.)...
EW's White Trash with Jerry LaCroix,
2.) EWG TOCOAN,
3.) EWG Shock Treatment,
4.) EWG with Rick Derringer,
5.) Johnny Winter S/T,
6.) JW Still Alive & Well,
7.) JW Saints & Sinners,
8.) JW John Dawson Winter III...

Ohhh, dayum Adam, I never went back and actually listed these up!

Cheers for this. I would do the Snoopy dance for each and every one of these, however many or few. And no, it would not be pretty. But it would happen anyway.

Ohhh, dayum Adam, I never went back and actually listed these up! Cheers for this. I would do the Snoopy dance for each and every one of these, however many or few. And it would not be pretty. But it would happen anyway.

haha.. i'm sure your dancin' would be fab! 😋

as Wild Cherry sang on their "Electrified Funk" Quad (largely ignored, highly recommended!)

"..when you're layin' the beat and you're playin' guitar
and you put it to the music and you're makin' on out
when you play it for the people and you get them to stand,
its for sure you've got yourself a dancin' music band..

..You gotta dance, dance, dance, dance, dancin' music band!

HEY, HEY!

You got a dance, dance, dance, dance, dancin' music band..

OOOHHHH SHA NA NA NA NA NAAA..!!"

(cue blistering guitar solo!)

Düde. I could only dream to aspire to that level of funky dance action.

No, sadly, the reality will look something more like this:

XanderSnoopy4.gif

There was a Boston Pops recording of Sousa marches which had a jet fly from back to front, I think, on the last track and it was great. I do hope DV gets around to releasing it.
In addition to the Pops RCA recordings, Thomas Mowrey recorded/mixed their 70s recordings for Polydor in quad as well, as I understand it. I don't believe any were ever released in quad: https://www.discogs.com/artist/272491-Thomas-Mowrey

Cool, would gladly snap up another Mancini.

Talking of TSOP - they could follow the Hues release up with MFSB - Love Is The Message and Rick D/GH with They Only Come Out At Night... Would have a nice Disco/Rock flow to things... :cool:

Same here. Bring on another Mancini (Hangin Out + Mancini Salutes Sousa), the two MFSB albums and They Only Come Out at Night.
My credit card is ready! :)

Back