Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah.. anyway, so we've drifted off piste somewhat..!
anyone want to put money on there being no Nilsson Quads from DV/anyone this year?
i'll bet you two Ray Conniffs and a Percy Faith it don't happen! :LOL:

And I'll raise you a Liberace!

24-liberace.jpg

I'll raise you a Henry Mancini and a Hugo Montenegro... :)

I did email them a while back (on Ralph's recommendation) to say what a wonderful job they were doing... Also had a few suggestions of my own personal choice. Think Nilsson Schmilsson was on there... I'd be keen to see any of these coming soon too - Harold Melvin, Spinners, Temptations, Edgar Winter, J Geils Band, BTO. I'm sure whatever they put out will be good... :phones

And now WE KNOW for sure that Dame Elton John surely raided Liberace's wardrobe! That settles THAT!

KingLouisXIVREX_468x691.jpg

i wondered where that hat had got to! that's the last time that bitch steals my threads! (not sure if it was widely reported at the time but that hat he wore for his 50th birthday bash, in Ralphie's pic here, fashioned into a galleon, actually blew out real smoke from one of its cannons!! ha!!) o_O

Wow....that's really sad there haven't been any A-List Titles titles released...and you waiting all those months...geeze...what a tragic event....oh wait...what about that Fleetwood Mac album...and that Gun's & Roses release...that does seem A-List to me...and the Big Pink...and a little group called the Beatles has one due soon...and a fella that played in that band...Mr. Lennon...his album sold a few copies...oh yea...that Jimi Hendrix dude...he's got 2 stereo hi rez releases coming along with a surround title...I think you might have heard of him...he's sorta A-List...and there was Styx.....Alan Parsons...Billy Joel...and the Doobie Brothers set is coming soon

Of all the times to complain about not getting surround releases...THIS ISN'T IT...we are getting so many A-Title releases that a lot of people are finding it hard to buy them all...and then there is you...waiting and praying for what?...Best of The Guess Who Vol 2:rolleyes::rolleyes:
None of those titles you mention are D/V are they?

And yes, Best of Vol. 2 is much more expensive to license, there is a reason for that.

Man you are full of negativity. First it's "why won't D-V do any rock?" and then they do, and then it's "the rock D-V did isn't A-list!!". Maybe you should take a step back and look at the quantity and quality of what's come out this year alone compared to the two years previous. Start with the two Art Garfunkel albums, which have never been licensed for reissue by any label, ever, and you got them in audiophile-quality quad SACD. Not to mention the excellent Guess Who (I'd much rather have Road Food and #10 than a single disc GH v2) and Derringer (have you even checked to see if the Winter albums are OOP in the UK? They'd have to be for D-V to reissue them) two-fers (artists people have been asking for for years) and the recent Poco disc that might be one of the best-sounding, best-reviewed quad discs to date, and that's just in the last six months! As for country, you got the Lynn Anderson 2fer this year as well, which I believe is the first pair of straight country/western albums to see quad reissue on SACD - Rose Garden is one of the top selling country albums of all time, and the Greatest Hits album contains a further four Billboard Country #1s.

Maybe you should look at the way things are trending and think about the quick timescale that they've happened on, especially in light of the glacial pace that some other audiophile reissue companies work at.
I never said that those albums were not great sounding, or that they weren't best-reviewed quad discs to date, (where ever that happened). I also never said Art Garfunkel was rock, no not at all. And no, I never said Lynn Anderson was Waylon Jennings either. And I'm glad you'd rather have Road Food & #10 because that is what came out, but not everyone would and you should respect that some of us would rather have Vol. 2 of "Best of" to go with our already issued (by AF) Vol, 1. even if you prefer that two-fer. Having Vol. 1 and then Vol. 2 would of completed a double set in quad, which is quite appealing and provide for even more of the hits, and tracks from a few more albums by the GW.

I never said the quality of D/V SACDs was in question, so I don't know why you are preaching about that.

But I do appreciate that you've stated another reason why no Winter albums are likely to be reissued by D/V.

Thanks for the intervention...this seems like a repeat of the AF period...everybody loved Marshal and then they didn't...at first they just took for granted what he was doing for us...then it evolved into outright criticism...it's not enough that Dutton is giving us superb quality..but at an unbelievable price point..
It ain't a repeat of anything. It's an observation that rings true. D/V are not heading into the rock material in any way like AF did. It's not being negative it is stating a fact. That are not going in that direction and it's clear now. But this is not a bad thing either because there are many folks who prefer easy listening, soft pop, country-rock, and soundtracks / classical.

You can color these observations as negativity, but I don't see it that way. I don't dislike Dutton / Vocalion, have no issues with their choices, sound quality or prices. They are just not going into rock, especially hard rock like AF could and did. Why is that negative? It still leaves room for Nilsson's quad titles? They fall into a softer pop genre than the rock I am speaking of. And there are many more softer type pop and soft rock titles to be considered in the future.

There is (still) a possibility Waylon Jennings paperwork is being considered by all parties, and that could still happen, just needs more time. But for rock like Alice, BOC, Winter, etc. no, not looking good is it!!!

I fail to see the intervention needed here. There ain't jack s$#t you can do about any old these facts really. It is simply the way it is.

I never said that those albums were not great sounding, or that they weren't best-reviewed quad discs to date, (where ever that happened). I also never said Art Garfunkel was rock, no not at all. And no, I never said Lynn Anderson was Waylon Jennings either. And I'm glad you'd rather have Road Food & #10 because that is what came out, but not everyone would and you should respect that some of us would rather have Vol. 2 of "Best of" to go with our already issued (by AF) Vol, 1. even if you prefer that two-fer. Having Vol. 1 and then Vol. 2 would of completed a double set in quad, which is quite appealing and provide for even more of the hits, and tracks from a few more albums by the GW.

I never said the quality of D/V SACDs was in question, so I don't know why you are preaching about that.

But I do appreciate that you've stated another reason why no Winter albums are likely to be reissued by D/V.

Regarding your last statement, I likewise was NOT aware that albums currently in print were NOT eligible for QUAD SACD reissue. Which does explain a lot. Since I'm not in the reissue business....how would I [we]?

I also misspoke when I alleged that D~V was not going to [likely] reissue any two~fers anymore as steelydave did point out that A Little Night Music was indeed a double LP [on 1 QUAD SACD] and the Rubinstein Classical disc was a two~fer and bonus material [which I was aware of] was added to the other three September 2018 reissues.

As I stated in my above post, we QQers have always been a tough bunch to satisfy [regarding reissues in surround] but in hindsight, through the efforts of Jon Urban's QQforum and its many informed posters, THINGS HAVE HAPPENED this year that very few of us could ever have anticipated in the Surround department.

It's like the word is out that to remix one's album in surround is suddenly chic, makes perfect sense [they do sound better than their stereo counterparts] and have piqued the interest of audiophile enthusiasts worldwide.

I've always said, Never Look A Gift Horse in the Mouth and IMO, Dutton Vocalion has done an awesome job in reissuing the 'moribund' QUAD masters of the past in spectacular sonics and at a nice price. If only all the other reissue companies, past and present, combined, could accomplish what this Watford, UK company has achieved in such a short time and in such an incredibly TIMELY fashion.....and furthermore easier on the budget [as opposed to spending $30 list for a single Stereo SACD which we have to wait months...or even years....for]!

ALL HAIL THE WONDERFUL WIZARD of WATFORD::ROFLMAO:and anyone who groans will have their rear speakers disconnected!o_O

ga2.jpg

Last edited:
In light of yesterday's announcements (and the revelation that DV has access to PIR's quads !!), I thought I'd post an updated suggestions list, though I have mentioned some of these before.

These are all Sony and seem plausible for D-V to attain:

O'Jays- Survival & Family Reunion (these were SQ only)
Harold Melvin- Black & Blue & Wake Up Everybody
MFSB- Love Is The Message & Philadelphia Freedom
Dave Mason- It's Like You Never Left & Dave Mason
REO Speedwagon- Lost In A Dream & This Time We Mean It
BS&T- Mirror Image & New City
Sly Stone- Small Talk & High On You
Redbone- Message From A Drum & Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes
Bartok- Concerto For Orchestra & The Miraculous Mandarin
Buddy Miles- Chapter VII & Booger Bear
Janis Ian- Between The Lines & Aftertones
Herbie Hancock- Sextant & Secrets

A couple others that would have to be single disc:

David Essex- Rock On
Raiders- Indian Reservation
Loggins & Messina- Native Sons
EWF- Spirit
Ted Nugent- Free For All
Wild Cherry- Electrified Funk
Labelle- Phoenix

Also not sure who owns the Columbia/Windfall stuff, but there are various Mountain and West, Bruce & Laing quads out there...

Go D-V!

Regarding your last statement, I likewise was NOT aware that albums currently in print were NOT eligible for QUAD SACD reissue. Which does explain a lot. Since I'm not in the reissue business....how would I [we]?

I also misspoke when I alleged that D~V was not going to [likely] reissue any two~fers anymore as steelydave did point out that A Little Night Music was indeed a double LP [on 1 QUAD SACD] and the Rubinstein Classical disc was a two~fer and bonus material [which I was aware of] was added to the other three September 2018 reissues.

As I stated in my above post, we QQers have always been a tough bunch to satisfy [regarding reissues in surround] but in hindsight, through the efforts of Jon Urban's QQforum and its many informed posters, THINGS HAVE HAPPENED this year that very few of us could ever have anticipated in the Surround department.

It's like the word is out that to remix one's album in surround is suddenly chic, makes perfect sense [they do sound better than their stereo counterparts] and have piqued the interest of audiophile enthusiasts worldwide.
Today, It is chic to include a surround mix with a big box. It adds spice, sparkle and class. And economically it works in a more expensive set. If it makes a box set sell 1,500 more copies at $59.99 or $89.99, that is a big enough deal for the majors.

So far as OOP titles, while i mentioned to Marshall (at AF) that Shock Treatment was currently OPP, and that there is a quad mix just dying to get out. He stated not OOP in Europe. So he didn't say it was a rule, but he considered how many folks world wide would want this one. So D/V I can see avoiding anything "in print" even if they were available to license. These labels want to cover every angle, and every possible sale/market.

I do agree that having QQ presence online has been very beneficial to us. The labels do drop in now and again and see what we are up to. See what we are waiting for. And us then to go over to the SH music forums and plaster the news there as well is good for business, it's free promotional muscle, and it does = sales.

Mountain CLIMBING! would be awesome in surround!

The only Mountain quads are The Best Of Mountain, Avalanche, Flowers Of Evil. I suspect The Best Of and Flowers Of Evil may be unavailable as they were distributed as GRT Q8s rather than Columbia. All of GRT's quad masters are said to be gone.

Avalanche and the two West, Bruce & Laing quads (Why Dontcha, Whatever Turns You On) were all released on Q8 by Columbia and hopefully still exist somewhere...

Problem with ABC and it's GRT-released tapes is that neither GRT, nor ABC exist anymore. So anything that might have been left at the GRT duplication houses probably either got turfed or taken home by the workers. That's sort of evidenced by how many GRT-reproduced titles we've seen have their master tapes appear on eBay over the years.
I'm not 100% how the process worked, but I'm sure a master tape was sent to GRT and duplication masters created from that tape. Now, did that first Master have to be returned or destroyed? Problem comes from if it were returned to ABC, by 1978, it was almost certainly destroyed or disposed of during the great purge. That is of course, unless some artists (such as in the case of Jim Croce) the artist/estate had paid the tape fees and was allowed to keep them. If it were destroyed, it was either destroyed or snuck into private hands. Then comes the big issue of does that person still have the tapes, were they stored properly, are they willing to do anything with them? Ugh. headaches.

We do know that some DO exist in private hands. Would be quite an ordeal to get those master tapes into the right hands, prepped, baked, digitized and then throw on top all the legal issues that I'm sure would come along with something like this.
I've never seen the ebay listings that some have seen. Was it generally a particular label like GRT, or Ampex, that seemed consistent? Or all over the place titles? What titles are out there (based on ebay sales) but not surfaced as conversions as of yet? How much does a quad master slave reel go for?

I wish I had worked at GRT or ABC / Dunhill, and could have saved the multis and quad masters by the trunk load. There would have been not only Robbin reels, but Quick-SRT reels out there as well to enjoy. At 15 years old I knew which was the wind was blowing and it was coming from all four directions. And I was ballsy enough to pack a dumpster in a way that was meant to be unpacked later that evening.

Even the slave masters for Q8 duplication must sound better than the released Q4 reels, and be just fine for home listening / + conversions.

Dunhill, huh? Guess it is too much to hope for some HP LOVECRAFT in multi. . . .
Yes it is, but Three Dog Night I was referring to. There should have been a 3DN quad of Golden Biscuits, and Mamas and Papas 16 Golden Greats.

But I would have dumpster dived for 1/4 in reels of Coming Down Your Way, and Countdown to Ectacy risking being fired or arrested in a heartbeat. Or simply carried an over-sized lunch box in and out every day until the pink slips were issued.

Some folks must have hoarded some reels but have now passed on and nobody knows now.

Yes it is, but Three Dog Night I was referring to. There should have been a 3DN quad of Golden Biscuits, and Mamas and Papas 16 Golden Greats.

But I would have dumpster dived for 1/4 in reels of Coming Down Your Way, and Countdown to Ectacy risking being fired or arrested in a heartbeat. Or simply carried an over-sized lunch box in and out every day until the pink slips were issued.

Some folks must have hoarded some reels but have now passed on and nobody knows now.

I think several of the ABC/GRT quad masters (Three Dog Night, Steely Dan, etc) somehow ended up on eBay...

Last edited:
Back