Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Netflix's newest Sci Fi Offering Altered Carbon has an incredibly immersive discrete surround mix and channels the original Blade Runner so effectively in mood and atmosphere. An intriguing series with up and coming new lead man Joel Kinnaman [The Killing; Robocop remake], it doesn't skimp on amazing CGI effects and futuristic mayhem. Catch it if you can.

http://hdqwalls.com/wallpapers/altered-carbon-netflix-tv-series-2018-5c.jpg

Netflix's newest Sci Fi Offering Altered Carbon has an incredibly immersive discrete surround mix and channels the original Blade Runner so effectively in mood and atmosphere. An intriguing series with up and coming new lead man Joel Kinnaman [The Killing; Robocop remake], it doesn't skimp on amazing CGI effects and futuristic mayhem. Catch it if you can.

Heard some good things been wanting to check it out :banana:

Color me old, but I'm really looking forward to the LOST IN SPACE remake -- 5.1 at least, please!

<deep robotic voice moving across the sound field> DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

(should point out I mean the upcoming NETFLIX series . . . give NETFLIX credit, they do 5.1 well! Exhibit A: the two seasons of DAREDEVIL)

Last edited:

Visually stunning. For me the sound was fantastic, except that some of the dialogue was a bit muffled. It could be my setup, bit other Netflix originals sound great across the board.

I love Altered Carbon, very cool SciFi series. Nice surround.

I saw the horror flick "The Ritual" (2017), on Netflix, about some english dudes hiking in the Swedish woods, great movie with a nice Atmos soundtrack, spooky sounds coming from "everywhere".

Most impressive Atmos soundtrack i have experienced to date, was the movie "The Great Wall" (2017) (Blu Ray) with Matt Damon, great use of the ceiling channels and some excellent bass! Great popcorn movie.

A recent BD watch was Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express remake. If you haven't seen it:

Movie: I enjoyed it. Emotional impact cranked up to 11. I liked Kenneth as Poirot.

Picture: Shot on 65mm, so everything's tip top. Some great long steadicam shots too.

Audio: DTS-MA 7.1 on my 5.1 setup. Spot on but nothing terribly discreet stuck out to me in the surround department. However, the real treat was the end credits. Michelle Pfeiffer sung Kenneth's lyrics perfectly. If you get your ears up to your centre speaker, you can hear her voice isolated from the instruments. I musta listened to it about 15 times. She rules! Tons of interesting extras on the BD too. Well worth a look if you've got about 4 hours to spare (includes time for multiple Michelle listens).

Last edited:
Saw It (2017) tonight, excellent creepy movie, I am a big Stephen King fan and have read the book and watched the mini tv-series a few times.

It (!!!) have a very effective dynamic Atmos soundtrack - contributing to the creepiness.

Ben: Derry started as a beaver trapping camp.
Richie: Still is! Am I right, boys?

:oops:

Just came back from the Museum of Science IMAX theater where I saw SW The Last Jedi in 3D......WHOAAAAAA NELLLYYY!!!!!! Besides the exponentially better visual experience (3D has come a LOOONG way... and besides, they ARE IL+M,,,so.. INDUSTRY STANDARD... I was getting a kick from all the FX/dialogue surround placements ...and curiously enough I noticed that during the end credits, the orchestra was more front centered....interesting... and maaannn this second time around you can see so many other things.. definitely a classic.. RIP CARRIE FISHER!!!!

not a movie but was just surfing and happened upon the season premiere of HBO's Westworld and some pretty good surround. Discrete and lots of low frequency sweeping effects which are very good, Hans Zimmer-esque.

Jonathan Nolan (Chris Nolan's brother) is exec producer/creator so that makes some sense.

Last edited:
not a movie but was just surfing and happened upon the season premiere of HBO's Westworld and some pretty good surround. Discrete and lots of low frequency sweeping effects which are very good, Hans Zimmer-esque.

Jonathan Nolan (Chris Nolan's brother) is exec producer/creator so that makes some sense.

I DVRed that first episode [Season 2, Episode 1] and will watch it later.

But I did purchase the entire first season in 4K which has Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision and HDR10 video and it's really pretty spectacular and the price for 3 UHD 4K and 3 BD~Vs is incredible and it comes in a very classy metal tin:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Westworld-Season-One-4K-Blu-ray/183154/#Review [REGION FREE and LESS than $5 per disc]

HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION!

Not gonna scan 17 pages of this thread but...Saving Private Ryan won an Oscar for sound editing, if I recall correctly. The surround track on that Blu-ray is pretty astonishing.

Speaking of Blade Runner, the movies re-release on 4k and ATMOS has a stunning surround mix in ATMOS.
As I cannot play 4k and Atmos at the same time in my setup, I have learned to take the HD video and mix it with the Atmos track. I now have both blade runner movies waiting on my drive to be enjoyed for the nth time, bit in Atmos

Here are my notable recent watches:

Experiment in Terror (1962):
1. This has a new 5.1 mix created from fronts/centre and sound effects, and as you'll all know is something that's hardly ever done for an oldie. Mostly it's coming from the fronts/centre but there are moments of discretion (discreetness?) with crowd noises and bird tweets from the surrounds.
2. Henry Mancini's score and music cues have some really low and robust sounds. I was quite surprised to hear it. Just shows to go that the information is already there to make something sound awesome.
3. The image is pristine and created from a 4K scan. I didn't see a mark on it. If every BD that I have that's been created from a new 4K scan was actually available on 4K, I would have made the 4K upgrade (TV/player/receiver/cables) by now. Not sure what the hold-up is but it's probably a combination of someone wanting too much money for the privilege of making better quality available and the smaller labels waiting until one of their peers coughs up and makes the first move. That just guarantees less 4K movies in the market and less reason to upgrade though. Big sigh.
4. The movie itself is a gem. I enjoyed every second of it. Technically perfect in all the main areas too.
5. Lee Remick: What a jaw-dropping stunner. Whoa.
6. Glenn Ford: Solid and awesome as always. Bit of a weird combing of the hair but he was probably hiding the dome so fair enough.
7. Region free and you can buy it here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Experiment...26160604&sr=8-1&keywords=experiment+in+terror

The Shout (1978):
8. Dual mono or stereo so not much going on in terms of the surround mix but it has really quiet quiets and really loud louds. Fidelity is great.
9. The movie itself is freakin' freaky-as too. Man.
10. Genesis' Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford did the soundtrack.
11. Really cheap but Region B only: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shout-Blu-...=1526160658&sr=1-1&keywords=the+shout+blu+ray

... and if you can't get enough Susannah York:

Images (1972):
12. Another 4K scan, so it's pristine.
13. Audio was dual mono or stereo but fidelity was superb.
14. Another freaky, freaky movie. Altman ruled.
15. Buy the Region B here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Robert-Alt...qid=1526160779&sr=1-1&keywords=images+blu+ray

Last edited:

The Shout (1978):
8. Dual mono or stereo so not much going on in terms of the surround mix but it has really quiet quiets and really loud louds. Fidelity is great.
9. The movie itself is freakin' freaky-as too. Man.
10. Genesis' Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford did the soundtrack.

Cool.. so , is it basically 1978 Genesis???

Watched Blade Runner 2049 on blu ray a couple of days ago. It had a very dynamic soundtrack (the bass!!!!), the Atmos mix was wonderful, and a excellent soundtrack, Hans Zimmer contributing. I loved the film.

I read that the 4k version of the original have a great Atmos soundtrack too, so I've ordered that one, now I just need a 4k disc player :LB

Back