Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how would one watch a movie shot in 2:35. If you change it to wide you eliminate the black bars but also lose info on the sides. I guess one could squeeze the image to fit but then everyone would look too tall like everyone used to look on TV years ago while watching Million Dollar Movie.

Since a lot of films ARE shot in 2:35 [MORE than you know], the beauty of the OLED [and Plasmas] are their infinite black levels. You have to live with that reality that it won't fill your screen. A few years ago at The Meridian showroom in Chelsea I had an occasion to view their $144K projector equipped with an anamorphic lens projected onto a 144" Stewart curved screen [Lawrence of Arabia in 1080p was the film] and it looked stunning as that 2:35 image filled the entire screen, courtesy of the anamorphic lens.

Which is why I appreciate 3D on OLED monitors, most especially with 2:35 films as it extends the parameters of the TV monitor admirably while still maintaining the black bars top and bottom. It's something you have to live with [the BLACK BARS].

BTW, the replacement bulb on that $144K projector was $6K. Ridiculous!

I've just bought a Sony 55" KD55AF8BU OLED (I hope it fits in the space o_O! ), arriving Wednesday with luck. Downloaded the manual, and interestingly it says OLEDs can suffer from burn-in like plasma, I didn't think they could as LEDs don't, but I suspect it must be down to the use of Phosphors to get the colour. :eek: I'll just have to be careful.
View attachment 36957

Yes OLED's are vulernable to burn in....playing the same static images in the same location for prolong periods of time will do it...worse than LG claimed...never had that problem with plasma displays because I broke the set in...early versions of plasma displays were very vulnerable...but they overcame most of that...OLED is early in it's lifespan and faces a lot of the same problems other new technologies have to overcome...there are some applications(stationary sign message boards)that won't be wise for an OLED application...the average home user with "varied" watching patterns should be safe from burn in...all these technologies have limitations....you have to chose which one is the least bothersome for your lifestyle..

Yes OLED's are vulernable to burn in....playing the same static images in the same location for prolong periods of time will do it...worse than LG claimed...never had that problem with plasma displays because I broke the set in...early versions of plasma displays were very vulnerable...but they overcame most of that...OLED is early in it's lifespan and faces a lot of the same problems other new technologies have to overcome...there are some applications(stationary sign message boards)that won't be wise for an OLED application...the average home user with "varied" watching patterns should be safe from burn in...all these technologies have limitations....you have to chose which one is the least bothersome for your lifestyle..

Clinty, I've not experienced any burn in since acquiring my OLED [2 years of constant use], and yes, I have fallen sound asleep [in my clothes*] with the TV on.

You, my friend, have found a thousand sundry reasons not to part with your Plasma TV, but once you've experienced OLED .... there's NO turning back. And BTW, my Panny Plasma died after 5 years of use [and it wasn't overused].

*Too MUCH information?

Clinty, I've not experienced any burn in since acquiring my OLED, and yes, I have fallen sound asleep [in my clothes*] with the TV on.

*TOO much information?

You, my friend, have found a thousand sundry reasons not to part with your Plasma TV, but once you've experienced OLED .... there's NO turning back. And BTW, my Panny Plasma died after 5 years of use [and it wasn't overused].

you notice I did say varied viewing users should be ok... my only complaint about my current display is it's only 65inches I've seen OLED many times....but after those deep blacks...that motion tech really sucks...one of my 4 plasmas is 10 years old with no sign of failure....I'M glad you like your display...but for some us...those awesome blacks aren't enough

you notice I did say varied viewing users should be ok... my only complaint about my current display is it's only 65inches I've seen OLED many times....but after those deep blacks...that motion tech really sucks...one of my 4 plasmas is 10 years old with no sign of failure....I'M glad you like your display...but for some us...those awesome blacks aren't enough

I have never experienced motion artifacts when viewing my OLED unless you're overly sensitive to it. Just keep some dramamine handy.

Clinty, you'd probably have more ease ordering a mail order bride than buying a new OLED TV. Jeeez!

zcaf5.jpg

EMOTION ARTIFACTS, CLINTY?

2001: A Space Odyssey 4K: Got the urge to spin this last night after a day full to the brim with chores and such (I gotta earn watching gems like this!).

Image: Wow. Lots of detail, colours were all awesome - really bright while still keeping Dave's skin looking pretty realistic.
Audio: I selected the Restored and Remixed DTS-MA 5.1 and it was great. All hiss is gone, bass is huge, rumbled the couch and rattled the fronts on my new cabinet (might have to stick some more blu-tack in strategic places). The surround mix wasn't that great though. Good separation between fronts and centre but there's not much happening from the rears. Oh well.

Despite the surround mix, still a gem and worth the upgrade.

Last edited:
The Sony had the best of the Motion software, way better than the LG (even though all the manufacturers use the LG panels). The Philips was pretty good as well, but no FreeSatHD which the Sony had as well, so a double + for the Sony. Although I have a Sky TV satellite box, I need Free to view satellite for some free-to-air channels as standard terrestrial Digital TV reception is poor where I live. Anyway roll-on Wednesday when it is delivered.

So how would one watch a movie shot in 2:35. If you change it to wide you eliminate the black bars but also lose info on the sides. I guess one could squeeze the image to fit but then everyone would look too tall like everyone used to look on TV years ago while watching Million Dollar Movie.

I've watched a variety of content on my 2016 OLED in a variety of aspect ratios (4×3, 1.66, scope, etc) over the last year and a half and have never had burn in issues.

I've watched a variety of content on my 2016 OLED in a variety of aspect ratios (4×3, 1.66, scope, etc) over the last year and a half and have never had burn in issues.

you said the magic word.....variety....that's the key...not the same static images in the same location...most people with normal viewing habits will be fine

198119_large.jpg

finally gets released in the US today

In a word ..... ASTOUNDING. Native 4K, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, a superbly immersive 5.1 soundtrack remastered for this edition. It looks like the film was shot yesterday. My 4K Pick of the year!

Unless you saw the 70mm Roadshow 2001 in a state of the art 60's theater [and it WAS awesome], you've never experience 2001: A Space Odyssey quite like this.

50192974_5fff8c0b71.jpg

HAL ........ TAKE A BOW!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I had not heard of this movie so I read some reviews and ordered the 4k mastered version from Amazon this morning.
What a good flick that is. I bought the super bit version way back before HD. It only has two audio tracks dolby-dts and nothing else but the flick. Outstanding PQ, and the DTS soundtrack is terrific.

Heathers (1988) BD:
I watched the new 4K scan (no 4K release though) last night and it's very. No damage.
There's a new DTS-MA 5.1 mix in addition to stereo and mono. Only a few things stood out on the 5.1 (some discrete locker noises and synth swells from the score), so it's not great but better than nothing.
It's got a Region B logo on it but I'm not sure if it's Region B locked.
It's a fun watch. I dig it anyway.
Here's a link if anyone's interested (that horrendous new artwork is on a cardboard slip case and one side of the BD slick - the original artwork is on the other side): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heathers-B...d=1545266446&sr=8-1&keywords=heathers+blu+ray

I just finished watching the complete first season of Animal Kingdom and just received Season two today. An excellent show with a nice immersive use of surrounds.

What amazed me, the first season which I paid UNDER $10 for was released on just two BD~50 discs at a very low bit rate and thankfully, my OPPO 205 4K upsampling feature made it look absolutely PRIMO on my LG OLED TV.

Thankfully, season two released through WARNER ARCHIVES spreads 13 episodes across 4 BD~Vs at roughly double the bit rate.

If you liked SONS of ANARCHY, you'll LOVE Animal Kingdom.

51wb1d23wBL.jpg

Last edited:
Back