Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Clint: I heard about this a while ago and have been looking forward to it as most CC BDs are Region A locked and my Sony is Region B locked.

MakeMKV can rip any BD and remove the region coding. Playback on a cheap media player with full lossless HD video and HD audio.

You’re missing out on thousands of region locked movies that aren’t available to us ‘B types’.

Criterion has announced the release of David Lynch's controversial 1986 film BLUE VELVET for May 2019. So why are my not excited? Criterion has gone to the trouble of doing a complete 4K restoration of the film, including a 5.1 remastered Surround track which includes 51 minutes of deleted footage, outtakes, etc. so why not release it in Native UHD 4K INSTEAD of 1080p❓❓❓

With so many duds actually being released in UHD 4K, I really wish Criterion would up the ante and start releasing all future product in NATIVE UHD 4K.

It would hopefully give the fledgling format the major boost it so desperately needs.🎬

See the source image

Last edited:
In a weird twist, this year's Academy Awards will NO longer honor best achievement for Cinematography in its televised portion instead relegating it to a private award ceremony. Sound familiar.......akin to the Grammy Awards for BEST SURROUND REMIX which suffers a similar fate.

IMO, Cinematography IS the heart and soul of Cinema. And so many memorable films owe their status to the Cinematographer who captures unforgettable images through their lens.

Perhaps ALL these award shows could do with less chatter [and frankly BS] and salute the true heroes of Cinema ......... the all important CINEMATOGRAPHER!📽🎞

See the source image

First Man (2018) BD:
  1. Watched this last night and enjoyed it.
  2. Lots of different shot styles that separate it from/help it complement other space exploration movies.
  3. Fidelity was really good with all the right amount of rumbling and creaking you'd expect.
  4. A decent amount of surround action. I had it so loud though that might have drowned some of it out.
  5. The 4K is apparently a 2K upscale (and most of it shot on 16mm) and with recent 2K upscaled 4Ks I've seen, I think I'll stick with BDs in future when there's not a native 4K release.
Worth a look.

Season Three of the HBO original series TRUE DETECTIVE is absolutely riveting TV with stars Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff turning in truly brilliant performances. Set in the Ozarks circa 1980 and encompassing intersecting timelines spanning three decades, the story concerns the disappearance of a young brother and sister which triggers an intense and often violent search for the perpetrators. Ali and Dorff's characters, two local detectives, 'inhabit' their characters from 1980~2015 with an intensity rarely seen on the small screen.

Running 8 episodes ........... the series' denouement [Episode 8] premiers this Sunday night [February 24th].

Might I add, T Bone Burnett's music is fantastic and the production values are exceptionally high.

Highly Recommended!(y)(y)

See the source image

See the source image

Last edited:
The UHD NATIVE 4K release of Ridley Scott's Gladiator is outstanding. The HDR, Dolby Vision DTS~X transfer is the best I've ever seen this magnificent film on Home Video. Hans Zimmer/Lisa Gerard's music score harks back to old fashioned epic cinema. Included are the Director's cut and the extended cut. Highly Recommended.

See the source image

The UHD NATIVE 4K release of Ridley Scott's Gladiator is outstanding. The HDR, Dolby Vision DTS~X transfer is the best I've ever seen this magnificent film on Home Video. Hans Zimmer/Lisa Gerard's music score harks back to old fashioned epic cinema. Included are the Director's cut and the extended cut. Highly Recommended.

See the source image
Damn it, man! Every time you post these classic 4K movies, I end up buying them! If you work for the movie studios, your plan is working... I just bought Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, and 2001 all in 4K. I don't even have a 4K TV. (At least I have an OPPO 203, which I may eventually take out of the box)🤪

Damn it, man! Every time you post these classic 4K movies, I end up buying them! If you work for the movie studios, your plan is working... I just bought Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, and 2001 all in 4K. I don't even have a 4K TV. (At least I have an OPPO 203, which I may eventually take out of the box)🤪

Damn it, man....liberate your Oppo 203 from incarceration and if you have a 2K capable TV .... you're halfway there!

You are in a tough spot...if it's not Ralphie enticing you to buy these movies....it's Adam singing the praises of Dutton....man...you never had a chance did you😆

More twists than a pretzel, great production values and IMO, the new hit of the 2019 mid~Winter Season:

See the source image

A Bona Fide 4~👂👂👂👂, 5~⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐and 1~🌜 Recommendation❗:ROFLMAO:and it's on the ABC network boys and girls and grey matter〰〰〰

The Reviews are IN:

Buford Botts, rural Blue Balls, Pennsylvania: Me and the
[sexy, scantily clad] Missus went 🐷 wild over this show!

Schmedley Zhosté, Grimstad, Norway: This show broke the ice between me ... my significant🌹 other.....and our boarder!

Last edited:
Coming to a home theater near you on April 23.......Ridley Scott's ALIEN in Native UHD 4K.....two cuts .... Theatrical version and Director's Cut.

IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM😭so try texting, instead!

Movie: Awesome. Looking forward to seeing it on 4K. It'll be the 4th format I've bought it on too.
Packaging: Grrr, cardboard makes me want to bleed acid.

FINALLY saw Alfonso Cuarón's ROMA on Netflix and was immediately immersed in his privileged childhood of having grown up in Mexico City during the early turbulent 70's, the son of a well to do doctor and the trials and tribulations suffered by his 'nanny/servant' Cleo.

ROMA_USEFORANNOUNCEMENT.jpg

Most striking was the B&W cinematography expertly shot by Cuarón on the Alexa65 digital camera himself and the ultra immersive sound design which captures every nuance of ROMA.

Roma.jpg

I watched this movie last night on Netflix in 4k, not my favourite genre - but I liked it.

It looks fantastic - I have just watched Battlestar Galactica with grains and shaky cam - watching Roma, really shows you what can be done with a camera. Alfonso Cuaron is an awesome talent - he did Gravity too!!

I was very impressed with the sound - the Atmos mix is something else - you are "there". If you have Atmos - watch this movie!!

I hope Alfonso choose to do more space/scifi next time :)

Coming to a home theater near you on April 23.......Ridley Scott's ALIEN in Native UHD 4K.....two cuts .... Theatrical version and Director's Cut.

IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM😭so try texting, instead!

10418_tn.jpg

Looks cool... I'm heading to see Alien at the cinema tonight as there is a 40th anniversary screening... 👽 Have never seen any of Alien series on the big screen so looking forward to it! 📽 Hopefully I won't eat so much popcorn that I burst?! 🍿😱

Back