• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Surround movies

timothyemerson

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Apocalypse Now Redux 4K: Watched this gem last night at ear-splitting volume:

1. Looking and sounding superb on 4K.
2. Some surround moments that stood out from the previous BD release were the rain scene when they visit the bunnies and the bird/forest sounds when Chef and Willard are hunting mangoes.
3. Fidelity is excellent. The low end has way more kick than previous releases. Bass drum in Hau Phat Suzie Q scene sounds great.
4. As with a few other 4K Atmos releases, I had to up the centre channel 2dB on my 5.1 set-up.

Truly movie magic.

bluelightning

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score

2. Some surround moments that stood out from the previous BD release were the rain scene when they visit the bunnies and the bird/forest sounds when Chef and Willard are hunting mangoes.
3. Fidelity is excellent. The low end has way more kick than previous releases. Bass drum in Hau Phat Suzie Q scene sounds great.
4. As with a few other 4K Atmos releases, I had to up the centre channel 2dB on my 5.1 set-up.

Truly movie magic.
Awesome. I am really stoked about watching this. Yesterday I finally had a chance to watch John Wick 2. Oh what fun it was. It has an awesome Atmos. All sorts of stuff going on in the surround channels.

salsdali

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score

Truly movie magic.
arclight scene was also impressive.

All the other times I've seen this movie over the years, probably at least 20 times, the arclight always sounded like just one big explosion, but in this atmos mix I could hear multiple drops, very distinct and discrete, the way I'm sure it really sounded like over there at the time.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
A harrowing look at World War I through an astounding restoration/colorization process which director Peter Jackson undertook to again bring the horrors of War into the 21st Century. When you're finished watching this chilling docudrama and realize that over a million souls were lost in a war which started with the assasination of Archduke Ferninand and the similarities to another war [Viet Nam] in which the men returned home from battle only to be met with adversity, indifference and alienation, the hope that nothing like this ever happens again hits home. BTW, Jackson dedicates this film to, among others, his Grandfather who served in WWI.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
A harrowing look at World War I through an astounding restoration/colorization process which director Peter Jackson undertook to again bring the horrors of War into the 21st Century. When you're finished watching this chilling docudrama and realize that over a million souls were lost in a war which started with the assasination of Archduke Ferninand and the similarities to another war [Viet Nam] in which the men returned home from battle only to be met with adversity, indifference and alienation, the hope that nothing like this ever happens again hits home. BTW, Jackson dedicates this film to, among others, his Grandfather who served in WWI.
Not that it's important, compared to all that, but how's the surround, mate?

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Not that it's important, compared to all that, but how's the surround, mate?
Peter Jackson worthy, mate. Newly recorded with directionality all over the map. It's on FIOS now......which is where I watched it. Truly worth watching.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
A fascinating overview of Martin Scorsese's THE IRISHMAN coming soon to NETFLIX and movie Theaters:

See the source image

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Aretha Franklin's legendary LOST FILM "Amazing Grace" has finally been restored and has a 5.1 BD~V release on Studio Canal. Read the New York Times Review: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/arts/music/aretha-franklin-amazing-grace-documentary.html

Available from AmazonUK [Region B] watch the amazing video sample on the website:

Last edited:

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
A fascinating overview of Martin Scorsese's THE IRISHMAN coming soon to NETFLIX and movie Theaters:

See the source image

Man Pesci looks like no joke serious here; don't think this will be another "My Cousin Vinnie" roll!

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Joe Dante's classic GREMLINS for children and adults of ALL ages was released on NATIVE UHD4K on October 1st for its 35th Anniversary from Warner Brothers with a remastered DTS MA HD 5.1 24/48 soundtrack [HDR]

Read the Review @ Highdefdigest: https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/73869/gremlins4kultrahdbluray.html

See the source image

A BOY and his GREMLIN🤩was it as good for you as it was for me?

Last edited:

salsdali

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score

See the source image

Haven't seen it yet but seems silly to have Al Pacino play Jimmy Hoffa because as we all know, NO ONE plays Hoffa better than Jack Nicholson. :)

b.smith

Reaction score
Aretha Franklin's legendary LOST FILM "Amazing Grace" has finally been restored and has a 5.1 BD~V release on Studio Canal. Read the New York Times Review: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/arts/music/aretha-franklin-amazing-grace-documentary.html

Available from AmazonUK [Region B] watch the amazing video sample on the website:

Not sure what to think about Dom Robinson's review for DVDFever.co.uk which in part stated:
"Note that it willl have been shot in 4:3, but the cropping top and bottom to give a now-traditional 16:9 ratio loses nothing important. In addition, there are options for stereo and 5.1 sound, but you’d be hard pushed to tell much difference other than, perhaps, moving some instruments into the rear speakers."
Duh!

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Not sure what to think about Dom Robinson's review for DVDFever.co.uk which in part stated:
"Note that it willl have been shot in 4:3, but the cropping top and bottom to give a now-traditional 16:9 ratio loses nothing important. In addition, there are options for stereo and 5.1 sound, but you’d be hard pushed to tell much difference other than, perhaps, moving some instruments into the rear speakers."
Duh!
This documentary/music video is now being offered on Amazon Prime. As with even most modern concert videos, very few are actually discrete so it's not surprising that this doc is front heavy, especially considering its date of production.

Last edited: