• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

SURROUND RELEASES overview

OdysseyMusik

Reaction score
Brilliant work by haikubass!!! and the SURROUND RELEASES

8 years of 427 releases! (Some came out multiple times)
Have copied them all to a sheet and sorted the bands to get a single overview:
Google Sheet Overview

(Couldn't sort with links so it's without links, but the release year can be used to look up the links in haikubass blogs)

rtbluray

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
(Can see there is only 2 Depeche Mode albums on the list, but their first 13 albums are in DTS 5.1?)
Their first 12 albums (including live album '101') are available as SACDs, and the studio SACDs all come with DTS DVDs.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Yes! 2016 skould be 104 not 106. Thx!
Here the right one comes:
View attachment 28882
;)
I did post on another thread that 2017 is a lackluster year for anticipated multichannel releases. Doubtful, that 2016's 104 multis will be equalled this year. What we can anticipate are a few more from AF, perhaps some additional Sony Japan Santana QUADS and I know Dutton Vocalion probably won't make any more announcements until November/December 2017.

It is good news that SONY Hong Kong is re~releasing a few of their single layered multichannel SACDs and hopefully that trend will continue. And perhaps we'll finally see Steve Wilson's MUCH anticipated Tears For Fears: Seeds 5.1 remaster. And of course, Alan Parsons Eye In the Sky.

Other than that, the multichannel release schedule for 2017 seems rather grim. Except for the VERY occasional AF multi, the American reissue companies have little or NO interest in releasing multichannel titles and I don't anticipate that trend to change which leaves SONY Japan/Hong Kong and UK's Dutton Vocalion to continue a few multi SACD releases a year. And of course, that occasional multi title from independent artists from band camp, etc. who seemingly have turned to downloads rather than releasing on physical disc.

Universal and Warners are sadly MIA and unless Warner/Rhino can pull another Chicago Quadio~like boxset out of their hat, nothing anticipated on that horizon, either.

The year is still young and we can only hope that this lackluster trend will pick up steam in future months.

Philip Spinner

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
Were we not saying the same thing here at the beginning of 2016. Then all of a sudden. I'm just guessing but the people who mix these for surround are hopefully in the studios right now hard at work mixing future titles. After all these people are just like us and would rather be playing golf or baseball in the summer months rather than sitting behind a mixing board.

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I see Brian Wilson "That Lucky Old Sun" on the list, but no listing in the forum (that I could find). Anyone heard the surround mix on this?

haikubass

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
I see Brian Wilson "That Lucky Old Sun" on the list, but no listing in the forum (that I could find). Anyone heard the surround mix on this?
It's a really good mix for a live-in-the-studio performance. Dolby Digital. Not totally discrete, but the instruments are placed in all channels and the soundfield sounds satisfying. The audience is almost non-present, the applaus is very sparse. The narratives from the studio version are left intact, FWIK. No further intermissions, though.
Some unorthodox mixing choices here, too, like different instruments in the centre and the main vocal rather in the rears. But it's all good.
Oh, and to avoid any misconception - it's this version. And here's the DVD trailer.

Last edited:

OdysseyMusik

Reaction score
2017 has just beated the number of 2016 surround releases according to haikubass' lists.
My guess that's the best source in the world!:)

surroundreleases-2017-10-27.jpg

And the year is not over yet!
At least one more from Surroundmusic.one will come in a few weeks; An EP of John Hickey - The Storm Tree Suite

OdysseyMusik

Reaction score
Ooooooops!!! Wrong numbers (reused 2016).... damn.... Sorry!
So it seems 2017 will not be as good as 2016, but better that the previous years tho....

As it is now :
surroundreleases-2017-10-25.jpg

Hoping for more up to x-mas!;)

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Stumbled on this thread, super great job, thank you. More need to view this.

OdysseyMusik

Reaction score
Through 2017 it didn't look like 2017 could top 2016, but it turnes out to be close!:D
I've updated the overview where you all can see all 535 (!) releases from 2009 alphabetic on the google sheet.
surroundreleases-2017.jpg
A big thanks to haikubas!!!

fac23

Reaction score
Nice! A small nitpick… These Nick Cave albums are in fact separate releases:
Let Love In
Murder Ballads
The Boatman's Call
No More Shall We Part
Nocturama
Abattoir Blues & The Lyre of Orpheus
Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!