Tagging frustration...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hi all -

I'm pretty good at tagging music files, but sometimes I get stumped and I honestly don't know the answer. First off, I use Tag and Rename. I realize many of you use other tagging programs, that's fine. My question is more general.

So, let's say I make my own music folder with songs pulled from different albums. Let's say I choose to rename everything (other than song title) so that it all goes into 1 folder. I use program to mass convert all the names (album name, artist, song, song number, genre). Sometimes, Foobar still parses out the songs as if they are not all named the same....as if they are in a different folder. Is there some hidden meta-data that I can't see that isn't being overwritten by my basic changes?

Foobar shows different properties than some of the tagging programms, just select all the files of that particular album in foobar, select properties and see what's different. Sometimes the date differs on bonustracks for instance and foo has a column called performer that has to be uniform as well.

There is a difference between the "artist" tag and the "album artist" tag. For example, the artist for the tune Say, Say Say is Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson, but the album artist is Paul MaCartny alone. If you are loading up the library using the artist tag, what you describe is the likely result.

In Kodi there is an option to ignore the artist and sort only by album artist. There is probably something similar in Foobar. So when you tag a compilation, you would use the same album artist for every track in the folder but different artists tags. When you play the album the correct artist name pops up in the info screen.

There is a difference between the "artist" tag and the "album artist" tag. For example, the artist for the tune Say, Say Say is Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson, but the album artist is Paul MaCartny alone. If you are loading up the library using the artist tag, what you describe is the likely result.

In Kodi there is an option to ignore the artist and sort only by album artist. There is probably something similar in Foobar. So when you tag a compilation, you would use the same album artist for every track in the folder but different artists tags. When you play the album the correct artist name pops up in the info screen.

Good point, foobar does sort per album-artist. (y)

Foobar shows different properties than some of the tagging programms, just select all the files of that particular album in foobar, select properties and see what's different. Sometimes the date differs on bonustracks for instance and foo has a column called performer that has to be uniform as well.
You, my man...are a freaking star! Your method showed me the problem, which I quickly corrected. Wow!!!
Thank you!!!

:SG

These silly little problems are the sort of things that keep me up at night. lmao
Cross one off the list....and, since I now know a quick way to check these "outliers".......I can fix all my other rogue titles that have similar problems.
Additionally, in my case, it WAS "album artist". I went back to my Tag/Rename program and as I said earlier, that particular tag was not visible in the window I typically use...but I found it in another tab called "additional"! Heck, I never even looked there.... Now I know to check that as well.

Yeah, in my specific case, it was an issue with album artist...which is not even a choice in Tag & Rename as far as the main window of tag editing. I found it in another tab that I'd never looked in. Wish I could move that tag into the main screen so I know what info is being populated....

Yeah, in my specific case, it was an issue with album artist...which is not even a choice in Tag & Rename as far as the main window of tag editing. I found it in another tab that I'd never looked in. Wish I could move that tag into the main screen so I know what info is being populated....

I use Tagscanner that does show that tag, great program.

Gos, you can control how you view T&R. Here is my default view.
1544805599493.png

And for Comp Covers, say Kiss My Ass, I use the artist as artist and Kiss as Album Artist so it behaves the way I want.
You can also have it always set Artist and Album Artist as the same, to include an overwrite if there is data there; poke about in options.

and a more clear example of how I tag comps.
1544805794660.png

For a general comp, say an OzzFest disc, my Album Artist is Compilation: Metal and the Artist remains Artist.
I use Clementine on my PC tagging in this way doesn't break any players I am aware of but lets me sort exactly how I want for my Stereo music.

Relatively little experience with tagging here, but what I have noticed is variations between different programs and the embedded tags shown for a given Flac file. For me, one of the quicker methods to get a glance is to right click on the Flac file/Properties/ID-Tag....1544808344103.png

Wish I could help, but I'm having problems of my own which I'll post in this thread after your matter is resolved.

So my problem is more how an Oppo 205 responds to tags. I just heard back from Oppo that DSF files (DSD) won't appear in the on-screen categories, namely "Artists, "Albums" and "Genre." Only FLAC, MP3, M4a, AIF, etc are supported.

Also, they got back to me on the problem I've been having with fast forwarding FLAC. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Turns out that Gapless Playback must be "off" to ensure fast forwarding of FLAC without intermittent problems. (Of course, the machine fast forwards DSF with no problems because it doesn't support Gapless Playback for that format!) MODERN TECHNOLOGY!!! :SB

Gos, you can control how you view T&R. Here is my default view.
View attachment 37031
And for Comp Covers, say Kiss My Ass, I use the artist as artist and Kiss as Album Artist so it behaves the way I want.
You can also have it always set Artist and Album Artist as the same, to include an overwrite if there is data there; poke about in options.

Well, I'll have to look harder then. I didn't see any place to change my "view".

(Of course, the machine fast forwards DSF with no problems because it doesn't support Gapless Playback for that format!) MODERN TECHNOLOGY!!! :SB

It's a nuisance, but you can get smooth DSF playback if you rip to whole-disc files with cue sheets instead of individual track files. You can still use the cue sheets to jump to individual songs. Well, most of the time. My experience with Oppo is that they make/made great disc spinners, but some of the streaming functions can be buggy.

Back