Technics SA-5800x found in attic! Weal right front channel, Advice?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralpharoni

Hi,
I recently picked up some great looking quad equipment from a family who found them in the attic of a house they bought. Among them is a Technics SA-5800x which looks great but has a weak front right channel.

Its a monster and it seems to be well made and it sounds good. The weak channel is audible with speakers. It shows on a tape deck so it is not a power section problem. The ear speakers work. It is present with the Aux input the tuner and the tape input. That narrows it down to the front channel preamp section. I have a terrible scan of the service manual )better than nothing.) I want to repair the problem. I would love to recap but it simply is not valued highly enough to be worth it since I will sell it eventually. I tried the deoxit first with no success. I have pulled and inspected the tone control board and see no obvious burnt bits, leaks or bad solder. I just can't figure the schematics out.

I am capable of recapping boards and testing components. I have rebuilt some power supplies and amplifier sections in the past but I don't really know what I am doing here. Can anyone tell me where I should be looking for this problem? Which board to start with? Any known weaknesses on this model? I would really appreciate it. Here are a couple of screens from the manual.

Back