Technics SA-8500X has died - suggestions?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRC

Hi all - just discovered this forum while researching about my dead SA-8500X. Not bad considering I started with a full 4 channel system in 1974 - but I got here eventually! So it's my first post here . . .

I've owned this unit since new (I used to work for National Panasonic / Technics in the UK in the 70s). It's been in storage for a while and worked when I fired it up a couple of weeks ago, but now something's given up and there is no sound on any input. Everything lights up, fuses all OK, but maybe an electrolytic capacitor or two has died in the PSU (well that's what I read)? The protection relay clicks over when turned on - not sure if that's correct or indicative of a fault. I have the service manual with circuit diagram and can wield a soldering iron but not sure where to start.

There's signs of slight burning on one of the power source boards but not sure if that's sufficient to cause the problem. The tracks look OK on the reverse side of the PCB.

Burn-740-741.JPG

Any suggestions?

Alternatively, if anyone is interested in buying this unit for restoration then let me know. A great project for a vintage enthusiast!

TIA

Back