"The Band - Live at the Academy of Music 1971" in 5.1 surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomwrock

I just ordered this from Amazon.com. 4 cd and 1 dvd. The DVD lists 25 audio only tracks + 2 filmed performances. Anyone know anything about this? The label is Capitol Records (Universal) release date September 17, 2013. So the big question is: Dolby Digital or DVD-A? This could be good or, I'm hoping, GREAT! :yikes

I just ordered this from Amazon.com. 4 cd and 1 dvd. The DVD lists 25 audio only tracks + 2 filmed performances. Anyone know anything about this? The label is Capitol Records (Universal) release date September 17, 2013. So the big question is: Dolby Digital or DVD-A? This could be good or, I'm hoping, GREAT! :yikes

Live At The Academy Of Music 1971 is produced by Robbie Robertson, with co-producers Michael Murphy and Matt D'Amico. The stereo mixes for the first two discs and the DVD's 5.1 Surround mix were done by Bob Clearmountain, with the stereo mixes for discs 3 and 4 helmed by Sebastian Robertson and Jon Castelli, assisted by Ryan Nasci. The collection was mastered by Patricia Sullivan at Bernie Grundman Mastering. The concerts were originally recorded by Phil Ramone with Mark Harman.

Has anyone taken the plunge and can attest to the surround mix on the disc 5 DVD? A huge fan, but maybe not for $75 unless it is irresistible.
I also see where they are taking pre-orders for Van Morrison's "Moon Dance" boxset with a 5.1 BR disc.

Last edited:
It's not great. There are moments when the horns sparkle from the reasrs but for the most part its disappointing in surround

Terrific article! Lays out the business model for what we want and how we want it. Labels listen up!

More articles like that in trade journals might (unlikely I admit) shame the management of music companies to actually listen to what people with the money want to purchase!

More articles like that in trade journals might (unlikely I admit) shame the management of music companies to actually listen to what people with the money want to purchase!

I purchased the box set on the day it was released. I have the 2004 remastered 2 cd set as well. I can hear the difference between the 2004 cds and the 5.1 DVDa . a world of difference, the 5.1 is clean clear and crisp compared to the 2004 cds. the surround sound is subtle, not overwhelming. it sounds more like a live in the studio than a live in concert.

How can you shame people that have repeatedly shown they have no shame? Only the vision of gold will get their attention- how do we get them to see there's tons of money to be made, even if it's to be made in smaller bunches?

This is my first post here. I was looking for a poll of this mix but I guess it isn't up yet. Anyway, I love the Band but the surround mix from this box is a major letdown. The rears do not have anything of interest. Mostly all I hear is a muted reverb effect of what is already playing in the front or the audience cheering as songs start and finish. The stereo mix on the first 2 CDs was redone by Bob Clearmountain and he obviously spent some time and effort to make it different-- better I think than the same cuts from Rock of Ages. The surround mix was also done by Bob Clearmountain but the improvement on his stereo mix is to my ears totally nonexistent-- really not even worth firing up the rears. I have yet to listen to the soundboard mix from the third and fourth CDs.

I got this some weeks ago and listened to to the dvd several times. I have to say, I really enjoy the surround mix. It's true, there's not too much happening in the rears, but nonetheless I got a real "concert-attending" feeling. It sounds much better than the 2-channel version. Don't know, how to express this, my knowledge of english language isn't too good...
Anyway, in my oppinion this is a great disc!

I have been enjoying my copy of this release! I have no complaints about the 5.1 mix. I enjoy the CD's too and the additional tracks. The soundboard is what it is. I'd rather have some nicely mastered material from multi track tapes, but I'm not going to dump on the whole set because of this. No worse then some of the Grateful Dead archival stuff that gets released all the time. You take soundboards for what they are. Diamonds in the rough or sometimes you get the warts, feedback and all. C'est la vie.

The 5.1 mix is on a par with the Concert For Bangladesh dvd.......not bad but could be better imho.

Back