The Band - Music From Big Pink (50th Anniversary CD/Blu-Ray/2LP/7" Deluxe Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a quick listen and I have to admit that I'm disappointed. The 5.1. mix is certainly a mixed bag. Some songs are really good and discrete, some not at all. See below the comparison title 2 (to kingdom come) and title 5 (the weight), no action at all on the rears:

I just ordered this and now I'm thinking of canceling after seeing that wave representation of The Weight. It's kind of weird, most of the music is in the center channel. I don't think I've seen or heard that before.

as I wrote earlier in the thread...

Unless Clearmountain has elements used to create the four-track, there's not much latitude to get creative...unless you bring in clever extraction tricks used by upmixers.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...cd-blu-ray-2lp-7-deluxe-set.25095/post-378400

Hi,

titles 1, 5 and 8 are not discrete, rather 3.1 with some 'double stereo' in the rears. However, the songs which ARE discrete are quite good.

Probably part of my disappointment is the 'value for money'. Here in Europe you have to pay at least 90 Euros at the moment (appr. 105 USD). The price in America is much better!

Thanks for that info. I just canceled my order. The Weight and Chest Fever were two of the main songs I wanted in surround. I won't use the vinyl. Do people really listen to a side of vinyl for 12 minutes and get up to flip the record? I'm much too lazy for that. Also thanks for the info about a version of The Weight being on the DVDA of The Last Waltz which I happen to have but haven't listened to for a while. I forgot about the bonus songs which included The Weight and it does sound good.

After first listening to the Bluray i am positive even if all songs aren´t perfect 5.1 tracks.
Even "The weight" sounds better than earlier versions i think.
The surround effect on that one is more that you get an better clarity and an good bass.
Even if the version on the Last waltz DVD-A had an discrete version of that song i am not sure it actually sounds better.
It is not good to compare them as i think the version on the Last waltz is better than the original track.
But even if that is my opinion i think the sound quality is being better on the new Bluray.

It´s not the best to give an opinion after one listening but after all negative reviews i wanted to bring my different view.
To me this feels like an new record now.
I hope i will continue to like it as much as after first listening.
I can get irritated about the two vinyl discs but that is another thing.
Compared to other expensive boxes that has been released this year this one is actually quite cheap.
I am treating the vinyl as an piece of art that definitely is not for playing as it would slowly damage them.

"Do people really listen to a side of vinyl for 12 minutes and get up to flip the record? I'm much too lazy for that."
Yes, I do....its an improvement over the 3 minutes on my 78s. That's also how I retain my girlish figure.....hahaha

You go girl. That's one way to get exercise I guess.

Mine shows up tomorrow from Amazon - finally! Looks like I ordered this really early on before the pricing was worked out ...

Music From Big Pink - 50th Anniversary [2 LP/CD/7"/Blu-ray Audio][Super Deluxe]
Price on order date: $124.98
Price charged at shipping: $65.64
Lowest price before release date: $65.64
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: $59.34

I initially had preordered from Walmart but canceled that and ordered from Amazon.com when they dropped the price. I received my copy from Amazon on Monday and had received notice back on 8/30 that my Walmart order was canceled and I was not charged.

Today I got one from Walmart (actually doesn't say Walmart anywhere on the packing slip just "Returns Center", but the pricing on the packing slip matches my Walmart order). It had shipped on Tuesday via FEDEX 2nd day air. Weird.

I double checked my credit card and I haven't been charged. A gift?

I initially had preordered from Walmart but canceled that and ordered from Amazon.com when they dropped the price. I received my copy from Amazon on Monday and had received notice back on 8/30 that my Walmart order was canceled and I was not charged.

Today I got one from Walmart (actually doesn't say Walmart anywhere on the packing slip just "Returns Center", but the pricing on the packing slip matches my Walmart order). It had shipped on Tuesday via FEDEX 2nd day air. Weird.

I double checked my credit card and I haven't been charged. A gift?

Same thing just happened to me..I'm listening to it right now in fact...in my case I had cancelled...then went to amazon and paid for a Friday delivery...so they screwed up...so I went back to Walmart with the store option pickup and I got the notice to pick it up today and then an hour ago I heard this noise outside and it was Fed Ex...as they can't be bothered to knock on your door...they just sneak away...and yes it was a plain box(classic Walmart)with something like Returns Dept in the sending address....it's no gift....just somebody's mistake that will probably get them fired when the company finds out what happened....

I will contact Walmart and let them know what happened....I'm not going to cheat them...

Another nice package...I'm not one that loves the books..so this one is especially appealing to me...organized very well..

IMG_3234.JPG
IMG_3236.JPG
IMG_3237.JPG

I've listened to this release and I'm very satisfied with it(y)I'm even doing something I never do...I'm listening to the stereo version....and I'm even going to listen to the CD...let me just say that I did a lot of research on this title and I wasn't sure I was going to take a chance on it...the source material was bad 15 years ago...so it was going to be a challenge to make this album sound very good...I thought it was risky to even attempt a surround from the existing tapes...I'm sure a lot of sonic manipulation would be required...the offsetting factor was the Bob's...Clearmountain and Ludwig...they have proven themselves over and over again...so I opted to purchase...so my expectations were low..

For those that worship at the altar of soundwaves and charts and measure seismic wave activity...this release isn't for you...the numbers won't be favorable...but for those of us that just listen to the music and treat it like the artform it is...you will be pleased...it has a very warm vinyl type sound...not cold and clinical...it's not bright at all...so far the stereo version sounds very good as well...and for some they might prefer this to the surround version for one reason...the surround version is very center channel oriented...which I like...it's my preferred style of surround music....but regardless of what version you prefer...I can't understand how anyone could term any of these songs BAD...and I don't really understand the comparisons with the Last Waltz...it's another situation like LOVE and Sgt. Peppers...apples and oranges being compared...Big Pink is an album...the very first album released in 1968...now many fans prefer the other works by them...like THE BAND and of course the Waltz...and that's fine...but to compare one song(the Weight)from the DVD-A to the original version on here means little to me...it may be better to some or just different to others...but it has little to do with this album...unless you bought it for the sole purpose of getting another version of the Weight that you thought was better...IMO this is an outstanding job done by the "Bob's"...there are moments in this 50 year old recording that amaze me...it's not going to win over a lot of the "number counters" on here...but I think most that understand the mountain that had to be scaled for this to sound this good will be happy

I'm going to mention one thing that has bothered me for awhile...but a disclaimer is necessary first...I do understand the frustration and anger over the prices imposed to our friends in Europe and other parts of the Globe...the taxes and fees imposed in these countries around the world sometimes shock me...I guess we in the US just take it for granted...but it is real...but although it's understandable I don't think it should be used as a component in the music evaluation...this whole concept of "value" has crept into the fabric of the forum...if you believe that music is an artform then cost should have nothing to do with your evaluation...do you think a Picasso or a Rembrandt would be judged by how much it costs....perhaps a name change on the surround polls...The Blue Light Surround Forum Polls...in honor of K-Mart...or Value Mart Surround Polls...well anyway...I just thought I would get that thought out there...I would personally take a plain brown paper bag with no Book and photographs and just the music inside...but since that's not possible I do like the style of this release...just enough to interest and not overboard with library material or buttons....

Last edited:
Clint, Clint, Clint.
How many times do we have to have this discussion?
Re-issues are all about what they are not, not what they are.

The sooner you realize this the more dissatisfied you will be and the more you can complain about not getting what doesn't exist!
Get it? Got it. Good! ;)

After first listening to the Bluray i am positive even if all songs aren´t perfect 5.1 tracks.
Even "The weight" sounds better than earlier versions i think.
The surround effect on that one is more that you get an better clarity and an good bass.
Even if the version on the Last waltz DVD-A had an discrete version of that song i am not sure it actually sounds better.
It is not good to compare them as i think the version on the Last waltz is better than the original track.
But even if that is my opinion i think the sound quality is being better on the new Bluray.

It´s not the best to give an opinion after one listening but after all negative reviews i wanted to bring my different view.
To me this feels like an new record now.
I hope i will continue to like it as much as after first listening.
I can get irritated about the two vinyl discs but that is another thing.
Compared to other expensive boxes that has been released this year this one is actually quite cheap.
I am treating the vinyl as an piece of art that definitely is not for playing as it would slowly damage them.

I am replying to my own note.
Now i have had time to listen to this BD more than once and i am still very satisfied.
The lack of surround on some of the tracks is very much compensated by the excellent sound quality.
I compared The Weight with the MOFI sacd and the BD blows it away i think.
The surround on the BD is missing in discreet audio but the sound is way better.
As i said it feels like i have gotten an completely new record to listen to.

The Version of 'the weight' on the DVDA is a totally different recording, probably done much later. It's from 'the Last Waltz Suite', not part of the actual Concert.
Hmmm... I'm confused now. I meant the DVD-A of Music From the Big Pink. I've been gone from home a long time, but I seem to remember I have the actual album on DVD-A. The Weight from the Big Pink DVD-A is from The Last Waltz?!

Last edited:
Can someone do me a big favour (and thanks in advance) and post the surround listing Bonus tracks of this new release ?
Can't seem to find it anywhere . :)

Whoops !! Never mind I found it now. :) (couldn't see the forest for the trees )

Back