'The Beatles' - The White Album Listening Thread - Your thoughts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But The White Album has 30 tracks so did you leave one out?
BTW, I've been riding around in my Acura jamming out to the 5.1 mix of Album 2 (and Album 1 too) especially "Revolution 9"
I've never listened to that track so much in my entire life, but in 5.1 that track totally works!
It really is like it was composed with surround sound in mind.
I'm sure if they had the technology back then, they would have mixed it in surround sound.

:)

CLINT: It sounds great in the car. Rev9 is the BEST, but I love cranking "Happiness Is a Warm Gun". For some reason that track excels in the car.
I have separate folders for each CD and have also been really enjoying the sessions and demo tracks. This is a great package, worth the price, which is something I can't say about every $100+ box set I've ever bought.

RYAN: Ooops! Thanks, it's funny I was playing it through on the way in to work and the display said "Piggies" but I heard "Blackbird". After doing some investigating, it turns out when I was cut and pasting the songs out of the output.flac file gen'd by Audiomuxer, I somehow left those songs together as one track and tagged it as "Piggies". Thus, I had 29 tracks.

So.................I just went back and extracted, tagged, and patched. Now I have 30!

Thanks!

I’d love to see the sales numbers on this set. Especially, in comparison to Sgt. Peppers.

I see Apple Music has the Super Deluxe Edition available for purchase and streaming. That’s the entire box minus the Blu-ray mixes.
I think The WA50th will outsell Pepper.
I originally posted that on SHF last week along with some other stuff as kind of a F U to all of the nitwit ninnies thinking it might get a flame thing going.
Silly me, those folks only care about what they post, what they want and who's to blame.

Last edited:
I ended up getting this for $140 shipped from Amazon.jp which I think is a great price.
IME pre-ordering is the best policy unless you want to wait for a while.
With this release it might be different with the Christmas shopping season upon us.

Last edited:
I'd really like to hear a sample of the BD stereo remix; I mean the stereo mix with better dynamics.

I've been listening to the remix on Tidal (which is hi-res, but using the CD mastering), and I find it very good but also ear fatiguing. I'm excited about this remix, really - I think it sounds great and is quite faithful to the mono mix, but there's something harsh to it that makes me lower the volume after the first two tracks... I'm not bothered by compression at all, I think it's EQ, at least that's what bothers me.

Last edited:
I reversed Revolution 9 to show my son the “Turn Me On Dead Man” thing, which was cool... but then I played him the intro to ELO “Fire On High” backwards and he was cracking up: “The music is reversible but time isn’t... turn back... turn back”... so great, lol!

Man I tell you what...if there was a poll for "Father of the Year"....you would win by a landslide...the things you do for your son and with him...taking him to concerts...sharing thoughts on music....geeze….needless to say I never had any of those experiences growing up... you are the MAN(y)

I haven't had much time with this set yet, only one round with the 5.1 mix which I liked. I was initially skeptical of buying this set, as I haven't bought any Super Deluxe box set yet (except used copies of DSOTM and WYWH Immersion sets). Most of them time I find those Super Deluxe sets bloated affairs which bundle some essential material with lots of fairly useless stuff for an extremely inflated price. This Beatles set, on the surface, looked like another bloated set. If you break down the price per disc, it's pretty expensive for a bunch of demos and outtakes if you are in it mostly for the surround mix.

All that said, I bought it somewhat on a whim, but am pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the demo stuff I have heard so far a *lot*! Not sure it's something I will return to very often, but it was very listenable.

I would like to point this out to everyone who has a problem with the EQ.
The White Album has a 'sonic signature', like any great album it doesn't sound like every other album and was not intended to.
I made that point about George's comment to George Martin about how it was bright and he liked it, this points to something
much deeper. 1968 had much that was annoying and disquieting, this album is reflective of that musically and lyrically as is the mix.
Abbey Road will be an audiophile experience. This is not intended to be an audiophile album, though some of it is very well recorded ...but if you notice, there is a push in the upper EQ and I'm not expert enough to say where, but it's push there is very intentional to unsettle.
Reflective of the times, not trying to be reflective of how great your stereo can sound.

I would like to point this out to everyone who has a problem with the EQ.
The White Album has a 'sonic signature', like any great album it doesn't sound like every other album and was not intended to.
I made that point about George's comment to George Martin about how it was bright and he liked it, this points to something
much deeper. 1968 had much that was annoying and disquieting, this album is reflective of that musically and lyrically as is the mix.
Abbey Road will be an audiophile experience. This is not intended to be an audiophile album, though some of it is very well recorded ...but if you notice, there is a push in the upper EQ and I'm not expert enough to say where, but it's push there is very intentional to unsettle.
Reflective of the times, not trying to be reflective of how great your stereo can sound.

Remember Let It Be - Naked? Well, if they come out with The Beatles (The White Album) - Cleaned then I'll buy that one too.

Ok, got the box yesterday. I carefully slit the bottom cellophane so I can lift plastic from book. Thanks for the heads up on that. I've listened to a bit of everything for an hour or so. Ok, I need more time to think about what I'm hearing. The box is expensive and I expect, maybe, price drops before skyhigh prices settle in. I'm glad I brought this, if I don't like it, I can certainly sell it.

Mono sounds good, Stereo as well sonically, as these are LPCM. At first blush the Surround mixes are great. I completely agree with "finally they get it." The surround mixes sound a bit different sonically depending on using High end Dolby or DTS. I don't think this is bricked like Sgt. Pepper might have been a bit. These mixes both Stereo and Surround sound like the White album. Surround mixes excellent. Again, there is a Hell of a lot to digest just on the Blu-ray alone. There is some brightness and compression here, no doubt about it, but nothing I can't fix on my Amp. But I need to listen more, much more before I can say anything definitely.

One thing I can say for sure, if you buy one thing make sure you get the White Album. Imagine and Electric Ladyland are must haves too. Like I said, prices for all of these will go up and down, and there should be sales coming up.

I have been living with this in the car since Friday. Both the 5.1 and all of the out takes. I got a bit reflective!!

Spinning back to 1968, we (as kids) looked at "The Beatles" (the group and the album) in a much different way than we do today, 50 years later. Today, we hear "Honey Pie" and think, "There's Paul's granny stuff, no wonder John hated some of these tunes. How did that type of song get on a rock and roll album?", or listen to "Bungalow Bill", with Yoko's vocals, and think "No wonder the group got annoyed with John with Yoko in the studio and singing on the album". Today we hear John tunes, Paul tunes, George tunes, we complain that George got shafted by not getting "Not Guilty" and maybe "Sour Milk Sea" on the album. We hear the songs and the albums with (up to) 50 years of prior listening.

But back in 1968, the Beatles were like a mystery. They were rarely seen on TV, there was not a lot written about them, and anything that came out was a big deal to Beatles fans. When we listened to this album, we really didn't think "Paul Song", "John Song", etc. In fact, I would guess that over 50% of the listeners of this album back in 1968 could not tell John from Paul vocally. That may sound ridiculous today, but it is true. I remember getting into arguments with other kids about who was singing what!

So when songs went from "I Will" to "Why Don't We Do it in the Road" and "Wild Honey Pie", most listeners thought "Beatles songs", not individual songs. Sure, that wasn't the case, but back then - that was the illusion.

So we had this double album with beautiful melodies, loud metal sounding songs, strange sound effects, an old fashioned '20s tune, all kinds of stuff. No other artists of the time had such a wide variety of musical styles on one release. Something for everyone, along with tracks many hated. Hey, it's a double album.

But - in 1968, you pretty much HAD to listen to the entire side, so if you liked "Mother Natures Son" but hated "Yer Blues", you had to sit through both, unless you got up and moved the needle. No cassettes, and the only recordable media at the time was reel to reel, which was "reel" expensive, and not many high school kids had one.

Today, if this album came out, we'd take the tunes we like, put them on our phones, and we'd never hear the other songs again.

So, these are the things I was thinking when I was listening to the SESSIONS track today in the car. I am so glad that I filed this album away 35+ year ago and never played it all the way through in that time. Now I can take the heavy rotation without reaching for the skip button.

That's one of the problems with these 50 year old releases. They're great (hopefully), we're happy to get them (finally), but the tunes, if they were good, are etched in our brains and float around dangerously at the saturation point.

This is why I am much happier listening to "Happiness is a Warm Gun" than say, "Revolution 1" or "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da". It's not that those two are not great tunes, they've just got a lot more miles on them. Ya know?

Back