'The Beatles' (White Album) [50th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-ray Disc!]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this is where I'm different than a lot of folks here. Of course I prefer better sonics, but the music is so much more important to me than the fidelity. In the case of The Beatles (both the album and the band) the material is so essential as to be listened to in spite of areas where the sonics do leave something to be desired.

Back in the USSR on the Love 5.1 absolutely ruined me. I didn't think it was possible to get that level of fidelity from The White Album (or the other Beatle albums for that matter); so now I want it all the time! Kind of like getting laid the first time.

None of those takes were used for 40 years because John's Bass VI was so horribly out of tune for what was supposed to be rehearsals. That's why Spector "fixed" the take of LAWR by putting string and choir on to bury the out of tune part. It was all that could be done in 1969. For years autotune couldn't effectively correct things below about 120 Hz. I think it was about 2001 that Antares finally figured out a way around that limitation. Not long after, Naked comes out and all of those woefully out of tune bass parts are suddenly in tune. Coincidence? I think not.

I guess I don't understand.

Are you talking about bass guitar parts? I don't understand what "John's Bass VI" is. When did Lennon play bass guitar on the album?

Why cant it simply be that the boots you are referring to are different takes from the ones released commercially?

Man I would/will be all over getting a surround version of the White Album (The Beatles) but in all honesty I'd be more hyped for Abbey Road...

My actual gripe (and this may be quite controversial!) is that it should have been originally released as a single album - not a double!

Transporting back to 1968 my tracklist would be...

1. Back in the USSR
2. Dear Prudence
3. Glass Onion
4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Paul's granny music just scrapes in)
5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
6. Blackbird
7. Julia
8. Birthday
9. Helter Skelter
10. Revolution (The good version)
11. Cry Baby Cry

And I would have left the rest for B sides/Anthology. :phones

Abbey Road has a much better flow if you ask me. Even better then Sgt Pepper. :eek:

I can sense the :mad:

Peace and love :cool:

Last edited:
Man I would/will be all over getting a surround version of the White Album (The Beatles) but in all honesty I'd be more hyped for Abbey Road...

My actual gripe (and this may be quite controversial!) is that it should have been originally released as a single album - not a double!

1. Back in the USSR
2. Dear Prudence
3. Glass Onion
6. Blackbird
7. Julia
8. Birthday
9. Helter Skelter
11. Cry Baby Cry

Abbey Road has a much better flow if you ask me. Even better then Sgt Pepper. :eek:

Actually, Mr Smithers, it was George Martin himself who advised the Beatles to release the White Album as a single album telling the Fab Four that he thought it to be "overindulgent."

Apparently, he was overruled and well, the rest is history!

https://www.last.fm/music/The+Beatles/The+Beatles+(The+White+Album)/+wiki

1. Back in the USSR
2. Dear Prudence
3. Glass Onion
6. Blackbird
7. Julia
8. Birthday
9. Helter Skelter
11. Cry Baby Cry

Oh my...Dear Mr. Smithers....you were doing so well on here...my early choice for "rookie of the year" honors...and then you had to post those songs...oh boy....leaving off Rocky Raccoon and Bungalow Bill...BLASPHEMY..

Gee...The Beatles Love album in 5.1 is the only one I’ve consistently played in the past few years. I even own the box set of Sgt. Peppers and have yet to open it. And, I’m pretty sure I have every digital release in the catalog except the mono versions.

I like LOVE...but I can't get back in my "time machine" when I listen to it...it just doesn't produce the memories of the past because the versions are so different....when I hear the songs on Peppers it takes me back in time...and like I said...I do like it a lot...but I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it...

Oh my...Dear Mr. Smithers....you were doing so well on here...my early choice for "rookie of the year" honors...and then you had to post those songs...oh boy....leaving off Rocky Raccoon and Bungalow Bill...BLASPHEMY..

For your penance, Mr. Smithers, you have to write ROCCO RACOON and BUNGALOW BILLY 200 times on the chalk Board!

BTW, Clinty, Rookie of the Year should go to our newest moderator, SNOOD, UNLESS he was born in the U.S.S.R.:eek: collusion, WHAT collusion?

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand.

Are you talking about bass guitar parts? I don't understand what "John's Bass VI" is. When did Lennon play bass guitar on the album?

Why cant it simply be that the boots you are referring to are different takes from the ones released commercially?
Since they wanted "no tracking" (no overdubs) on the album, John or George would have to play bass on Paul's piano songs. John played his bass lines on an instrument called a "Fender VI". It is sort of a cross between a standard six string guitar and a bass. The strings are heavier than a guitar, but not as heavy as standard electric bass strings. The scale length is longer, but not the full 34" of a standard bass. It was an instrument that was designed for the guitar player who wanted to occasionally play a bass line, but didn't want to get used to a new instrument. The take of LAWR that was used on naked has been booted for years, and it is plainly evident that the bass part is out of tune.

Get Back/Let it Be was almost entirely recorded not only by EMI, but also by a film crew. These tapes have circulated for years under the term (IIRC) "Nagra Reels". Literally dozens of hours of rehearsal recordings. Some of these takes were all Spector had to work with when he complied the LIB album. As with eveything Beatles, it has all been carefully documented and there are people who can not only identify which take, but also what hour of what day it was recorded on.

The bottom line point for me is, as easy especially in hindsight it is to tear down Phil Spector, he actually did a fairly remarkable job of turning a sow's ear into a silk purse (to paraphrase Lennon). If he was so terrible, why did John and George both work with him again. If his arrangement of LAWR was so distasteful, why did a very similar arrangement (using synth and horns instead of an orchestra) show up on Wings Over America? If Paul really had such strong feelings about keeping it simple, he certainly had ample opportunity to do so.

Not to mention Monkey. That one rocked as hard as anything in 1968.

I thought the 5.1 remix of Sgt Peppers from Giles sounded like a bass hyped up and distorted club mix or something. If this White album release is going to be a repeat of that…

I thought the fidelity I heard on that Love edit fest sounded like the real deal but I couldn’t get past the edits and threw it away. I didn't even think I was a fanatical fan but apparently the originals are seared into my brain. Reworkings or alternate universe editions would go over much better if the originals were available though, I think.

The original UK mono pressings are unobtainium collectors items. I’ve never heard serious vinyl transfers. Sadly those 24 bit 44.1k hyped USB set releases are the best copy I’ve heard. The MFSL vinyl for the stereo mixes are the best stereo masters I’ve heard and put the hyped "24 bit" stereo remasters to shame. Would be great to hear the mono mixes like that! Was always sad that that box didn’t include the singles (and also the mono editions for that matter). Wonder if we'll ever get to hear unmolested copies of those Prism AD 192k transfers they talked about so much.

Yeah... So, I'm in the minority on all this with quite a lot of people it seems! Bad attitude and ungrateful and all that.

Is there anything out there beyond that Love edit or the hyped remasters? I feel like I must have missed something good by now. Has anything been released that features the original fidelity or an odd surround mix that snuck out that’s truly gold? I’d love to lose the bad attitude!

I thought the 5.1 remix of Sgt Peppers from Giles sounded like a bass hyped up and distorted club mix or something. If this White album release is going to be a repeat of that…

I thought the fidelity I heard on that Love edit fest sounded like the real deal but I couldn’t get past the edits and threw it away. I didn't even think I was a fanatical fan but apparently the originals are seared into my brain. Reworkings or alternate universe editions would go over much better if the originals were available though, I think.

The original UK mono pressings are unobtainium collectors items. I’ve never heard serious vinyl transfers. Sadly those 24 bit 44.1k hyped USB set releases are the best copy I’ve heard. The MFSL vinyl for the stereo mixes are the best stereo masters I’ve heard and put the hyped "24 bit" stereo remasters to shame. Would be great to hear the mono mixes like that! Was always sad that that box didn’t include the singles (and also the mono editions for that matter). Wonder if we'll ever get to hear unmolested copies of those Prism AD 192k transfers they talked about so much.

Yeah... So, I'm in the minority on all this with quite a lot of people it seems! Bad attitude and ungrateful and all that.

Is there anything out there beyond that Love edit or the hyped remasters? I feel like I must have missed something good by now. Has anything been released that features the original fidelity or an odd surround mix that snuck out that’s truly gold? I’d love to lose the bad attitude!

MOST unfortunately, Jim, those exceptionally well preserved Beatles Master Tapes have been a consistent CASH COW for ALL involved, except, it seems, the buying public. I considered LOVE an exceptional album because, unlike yourself, I don't know every snippet of Beatles' music like the back of my hand and took it for what it WAS: A Soundtrack and/or CAST RECORDING, of sorts, for a Cirque de Soleil VEGAS [read: GLITZY] "Musical."

I have the USB 44.1/24 remasters and although they'll never be definitive, they serve their purpose [besides, I procured them from a friend for FREE]!

As for the Pepper 5.1 remix. Definitely a TEPID affair but considering it was derived from Four Track Masters, a credible job and on MY system.....it sounds FRESH....free of tape hiss and other anomalies associated with 1960 era magnetic tape, especially considering all the mix downs and sound effects squeezed onto just 4 tracks.

I have never heard or heard of the Prism AD 192 transfers* but they sound like a 1:1 or HOLY GRAIL of actually what is on those well preserved Beatles' master tapes.

Will we ever get to hear them? Universal now owns the catalogue and as long as they can churn out remaster after remaster never giving us the actual ABSOLUTE, DEFINITIVEl sound of those masters, probably doubtful .... in OUR lifetime.

*Definitive back~up digital copies, bit for bit, of the actual Beatles Masters because as we all know, no matter how well preserved, Magnetic Tape hardly has an indefinite shelf life.

Last edited:
The MFSL vinyl for the stereo mixes are the best stereo masters I’ve heard and put the hyped "24 bit" stereo remasters to shame.
The MFSLs were a mixed bag at best. There were issues with Help! and the MMT was an unmitigated disaster. Some of them were pretty good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back