SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And there was me thinking that the last Das Lied I bought - this one by Kubelik/Baker/Kmentt-Bavarian RSO - would be my actual last. Oh, how I fall into such folly and fanciful thinking, for just as there is no spoon in The Matrix, there is no end to Mahler in this matrix...

51P3GXg2ULL._AC_UL436_.jpg
There's always another...

I like MTT's take, but I prefer a female voice in the final song. I'm guessing it will be these soloists: https://www.concertgebouw.nl/en/con...st-festival-orchestra-ivan-fischer/17-05-2020

I discovered a new favourite last week when I went to a small concert in the West End of Glasgow that featured recent graduates from The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. First up was a Bach cello suite that was played on viola. It was alright. But the star of the show was Stabat Mater by Pergolesi. I hadn't heard of Pergolesi before but what a piece of music. I mean, I was able to clap at the end but it took me about 5 minutes if not more to properly come back to reality as I'd been transported to another dimension, such was the quality of the composition and performance.

Sadly, there were only about 30 people in the audience in a venue that could have accommodated a few hundred: I can only imagine it didn't draw a bigger crowd as Pergolesi isn't as well known as Beethoven or Mozart and being students, the performers didn't have the promotional gravitas of an established orchestra. Either way, anyone who thought about going but chose not to lost out big time.

I haven't bought it yet, so any recommendations (the one by Abbado/LSO sounds good to my ears)?

I guess I'm enamored by this also; ordered it for $9 U.S. Thank you Derek!

Have you heard this one Lute, and if so, how is it?
View attachment 41398

Yes, I have it. That is a wonderful album of lute music from Great Britain in the early Baroque era. The surrounds are ambient and beautifully capture the delicate sounds of the instrument. There is plenty of detail while still providing plenty of air above the strings. Jakob Lindberg is one of the finest lutenists performing today. Actually, when I read your post, I was just listening to another beautiful album of his, which I also highly recommend.

Italian Lute Virtuosi of the Renaissance (BIS SACD)

Last edited:
One more outstanding album by Jakob Lindberg

Nocturnal: lute music from Dowland to Britten (BIS SACD)

Recording of the Month over on MusicWeb International: HERE

View attachment 41427

All who love the lute should hear this album and, on doing so, will, I suspect, want to own it.

And who doesn't love THE LUTE, Brett? Will put it on my list.

Christmas in July. Well... I found this one in the bargain bin, so I gave it a try. The performance is beautiful. Singers and orchestra do an excellent job. The MC recording is what I would describe as very immersive. The surrounds are not discrete, but (as in many releases from Membran) the rears offer plenty of volume. The recording was made in 2005 and creates a nice balance between the musicans and the natural resonance of the Trinitatis church in Copenhagen.

Last edited:
Schumann quartets: was looking at this Norwegian SACD, but it's not surround. Neither is the Tacet. Anyone know of a good surround Schumann quartets compilation? Or is this one worth having even in stereo? As far as the symphonies go, I've ordered the SF Orchestra w/Michael Tilson Thomas in surround (I used to live there, and he's about to leave in a year, so might as well have some momento). . . .

Schumann quartets: was looking at this Norwegian SACD, but it's not surround. Neither is the Tacet. Anyone know of a good surround Schumann quartets compilation? Or is this one worth having even in stereo? As far as the symphonies go, I've ordered the SF Orchestra w/Michael Tilson Thomas in surround (I used to live there, and he's about to leave in a year, so might as well have some momento). . . .

View attachment 41543
The SACD of this is absolutely in surround, as far as I can tell. The Ying version is good, though, and if you have a 7.1 setup you can take advantage.

View attachment 41383

Musique and Sweet Poetrie (SACD)

Emma Kirkby (soprano)
Jakob Lindberg (lute)

Listening to an old favorite. Only ambient surround but an excellent album to chill to.

Enjoyed Musique and Sweet Poetrie this afternoon; and Lute you never mentioned what an enchanting voice Dame Emma Kirkby has, almost imagined the Sirens on the shores of Sirenum scopuli calling Odysseus to crash his ship while in aural rapture.

Enjoyed Musique and Sweet Poetrie this afternoon; and Lute you never mentioned what an enchanting voice Dame Emma Kirkby has, almost imagined the Sirens on the shores of Sirenum scopuli calling Odysseus to crash his ship while in aural rapture.
Aaaah.... Emma 🤗 Yes, what a voice!
Sorry, I've been listening to her for so long that I just assumed that everyone else was, too. And that recording has become a particular favorite of mine. Both Kirkby and Lindberg use the moments of silence between the notes most effectively. Their music making really does allow oneself to feel as if one’s been transported to another world in enchanted rapture. ✨ Glad to hear you love it as well.

Last edited:
I discovered a new favourite last week when I went to a small concert in the West End of Glasgow that featured recent graduates from The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. First up was a Bach cello suite that was played on viola. It was alright. But the star of the show was Stabat Mater by Pergolesi. I hadn't heard of Pergolesi before but what a piece of music. I mean, I was able to clap at the end but it took me about 5 minutes if not more to properly come back to reality as I'd been transported to another dimension, such was the quality of the composition and performance.

Sadly, there were only about 30 people in the audience in a venue that could have accommodated a few hundred: I can only imagine it didn't draw a bigger crowd as Pergolesi isn't as well known as Beethoven or Mozart and being students, the performers didn't have the promotional gravitas of an established orchestra. Either way, anyone who thought about going but chose not to lost out big time.

I haven't bought it yet, so any recommendations (the one by Abbado/LSO sounds good to my ears)?

Listening to this new purchase today; thanks windhoek, gorgeous music indeed.

Listening to this new purchase today; thanks windhoek, gorgeous music indeed.

View attachment 41794

Glad you're enjoying it and glad you've bought it as you can perhaps answer the thing that's so far stopped me from buying it myself: does the CD sound unpleasantly loud or harsh in any way? One reviewer at Amazon UK says the high notes are grating and harsh on the remaster, which I admit, I don't know whether this is the remaster.

Glad you're enjoying it and glad you've bought it as you can perhaps answer the thing that's so far stopped me from buying it myself: does the CD sound unpleasantly loud or harsh in any way? One reviewer at Amazon UK says the high notes are grating and harsh on the remaster, which I admit, I don't know whether this is the remaster.

Derek, it WAS an early PCM DDD Recording probably recorded 16/44.1. Unfortunately, a lot of those early all digital recordings were criticized for their harshness, especially shrillness of the string sections.

Derek, it WAS an early PCM DDD Recording probably recorded 16/44.1. Unfortunately, a lot of those early all digital recordings were criticized for their harshness, especially shrillness of the string sections.

Yeah, you can see the DDD marking on the pic of the back cover. Admittedly, there's only one reviewer saying it sounds harsh so maybe that's a reflection of that particular ear-hifi combo being too bright. I've ordered a copy anyway and I guess I'll find out sooner or later whether it's harsh-sounding or not... but if J Pupster can enjoy it then I'm pretty sure I can enjoy it as well :)

Back