• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

The classical music general discussion thread

Mike the Fish

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
Is there a decent immersive Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony out there?

halbroome

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
At the nearly $20 download price, I'd personally opt for the physical disc.

Even cheaper on AmazonUS (and yes, I hit the button):

Kal Rubinson

Reaction score
Pletnev (Pentatone), Kitaenko (Oehms), Gatti (Harmonia Mundi)
I have not heard the latest Noseda/LSO yet.

ubertrout

Reaction score
Interesting suggestions. Sadly Sony didn't use the quad mix for the Bernstein Tchaikovsky 4th when it was issued on SACD.

quoddiophile

Reaction score
Try Ivan Fischer's 5.0 version on Channel Classics coupled with the Romeo and Juliet Overture. I have not
heard my version in some time but as I recall it is quite superb. It has been highly praised online.
as well.

Jim

ubertrout

Reaction score
Try Ivan Fischer's 5.0 version on Channel Classics coupled with the Romeo and Juliet Overture. I have not
heard my version in some time but as I recall it is quite superb. It has been highly praised online.
as well.

Jim
That's a great one. The mix is immersive in the sense that the surround channels give an accurate sonic picture of being in a concert hall, but there's not instruments coming in every direction.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I have been 'rummaging' through my 'unplayed in eons' Classical SACD mch discs and spun this today. Generally speaking, wonderful performances and sonics and if I recall, I used to pay $7 ~ $8 for these MEMBRAN CLASSICS when they were initially released.

ubertrout

Reaction score
I have been 'rummaging' through my 'unplayed in eons' Classical SACD mch discs and spun this today. Generally speaking, wonderful performances and sonics and if I recall, I used to pay $7 ~ $8 for these MEMBRAN CLASSICS when they were initially released.

These were all well-made mid-90s digital stereo recordings by Tring, subsequently reissued on many labels. I have a lot of them because JPC blew them out for $3 or so each. They're nice but I don't usually seek them out.

Is the Conceirto de Aranjuez the only work to have multiple quad reissues but no modern multichannel recordings?

(plus this, which I don't think is actually the quad mix)

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Ubertrout, kind of off topic, but have you ever heard this magnificent jazz interpretation of the 'Concierto' from master guitarist Jim Hall on Stereo SACD from MoFi [also released in Japan as a DVD~A Stereo disc as well]! On the CTI Label.

Last edited:

ubertrout

Reaction score
Ubertrout, kind of off topic, but have you ever heard this magnificent jazz interpretation of the 'Concierto' from master guitarist Jim Hall on Stereo SACD from MoFi [also released in Japan as a DVD~A Stereo disc as well]! On the CTI Label.

I haven't! I need some writing music, will queue it up.

Lute

Reaction score
image.jpeg

Claudio Monteverdi: Vespers

Cantar Lontano
Marco Mencoboni (conductor)

Very nice. The free choice of tempos seems to have ruffled some folks' feathers, but I found the performance to be beautiful and moving. The surround mix is immersive with some discrete elements.

windhoek

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Yesterday I downloaded this 'learn German' Android app (it was free yesterday) so that I can learn German well enough to connect with Mahler's lyrics as much as I do with his music. I mean, there are a few words I already know but the fact is, I'm a long way from being able to follow the lyrics in real-time unless I have a translation in front of me. So far I know how to say yes, no, please, thanks and goodbye in German. Like I say, I've got a long way to go!

Lute

Reaction score
image.jpeg

Georg Friedrich Händel

Parnasso in Festa

La Cetra Vokalensemble Basel
La Cetra Barockorchester Basel
Andrea Marcon (conductor)

Another excellent SACD release from PentaTone. Superb perfromance of this delight work. Surround mix is ambient but good. HERE is an in depth review for anyone interested.