SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpeg

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Concertos 11 - 13

Marie Kuijken & Veronica Kuijken (fortepianos)
La Petite Bande
Sigiswald Kuijken (direction)

Lovely performances of these treasures that Mozart composed shortly after moving to Vienna. Apart from the excellent playing by all involved, the use of a small ensemble of period instruments creates the intimate mood of a concert at a private residence in bygone days. Surround mix is ambient but fairly immersive and well up to Challenge Classics high standards. HERE is another fine in depth review for those interested.

Thank you Lute.

Many years ago I saw the Kuijken brothers tour and I think I met them after one of their concerts. These two women performing must be daughters of one or two of them. How time flies. I will have to look for this disc.

Thank you Lute.

Many years ago I saw the Kuijken brothers tour and I think I met them after one of their concerts. These two women performing must be daughters of one or two of them. How time flies. I will have to look for this disc.
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it. Fortunately, the Kuijken family has and is continuing to release excellent recordings with Challenge Classics and Accent. HERE I've been slowly but steadily adding them to my collection.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Anyone who has enjoyed the PentaTone SACD of the 1972 Quad recording of the percussion ensemble "Les Percussions de Strasbourg" might also be interested in this group's other 2 SACD releases on the Accord (Universal) label. All 3 of these SACDs have discrete surround mixes.

The music is modern classical, abstract not melodic. Despite its name, "le scorpion" is the more mellow of the 2 recordings on the Accord label. The music by Argentine composer, Martin Matalon, was written to accompany Luis Buñuel's film L'Âge d'or. It is for 2 pianos, vibraphones, drums, bongos, timpani, gongs, electronics, etc... It has a slightly free jazz feel to it.

Last edited:
Multi-channel, AFAIK. Reference has issued some world-class symphonic recordings in the last few years. No discrete elements in the rears, but hugely "active." And brilliant performances.
This is part of the "fresh" series which is engineered by the SoundMirror team and not the standard team from RR. IMHO, they are much better. :cool:

Last edited:
Last edited:
BTW, Pupster 🐶 and humprof, Deep Discount's price on Alexander Nevsky is considerably less expensive https://www.deepdiscount.com/alexander-nevsky/030911273521

And lo and behold they gave me a $5 off coupon [for orders over $30] which I took full advantage of!

Let us know what you think of it, Ralph. I've already got the Ormandy/Philadelphia version of this on Dutton, which is hard to beat. And I've got the Slatkin/St. Louis version, besides. And since neither piece is among my favorite Prokofievs, I'm loath to shell out for yet another rendition. But if it's a good mix and a good performance...

Back