The Next XTC Surround Sound Release...The Complete Dukes Of Stratosphear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three pretty major tracks, obviously. But I’ll take upmixes if that’s the only way to get the other 12 in true surround. :).

I've always imagined that a surround mix of "Senses Working Overtime" would have the "1,2,3,4,5" refrain before the chorus pop up in each speaker. Maybe a little gimmicky for SW, but we do have five speakers! Would probably be tough to do that in an upmix.

I've always imagined that a surround mix of "Senses Working Overtime" would have the "1,2,3,4,5" refrain before the chorus pop up in each speaker. Maybe a little gimmicky for SW, but we do have five speakers! Would probably be tough to do that in an upmix.

Yeah, that’d be fun, but you’re right that probably too gimmicky for SW anyway.

He’s done pretty well with upmixes in the past. I’d hate to see a few tracks being the deal-breaker.

Heck, he used AN ENTIRE DIFFERENT RECORDING for Too Old To Rock n Roll lol

@rtbluray probably has the details, but I remember hearing that’s it’s a sizeable chunk of the album. Maybe half the songs, if not more :(

I've heard different reports honestly, ranging from half the album's missing to only a few tracks.
Either way, they need to remix all the albums that they do have full tapes for and save the others for later on.

Haven't noticed any news since. Andy's been temporarily off twitter for a week now - which, of course, could be a hint itself :)

Looking at the account now I can't remember when it's header changed to English Settlement band logo...
When he had the picture from This is Pop on the account I thought he might be hinting at White Music....or.....Transistor Blast.

He did get adventurous with the percussion in Living Through Another Cuba, so it could happen.

Hey, I didn't know that was an XTC song... cool! (I like that one :) ) (I'm one of the people who only know XTC from their surround output)

B-sides do not concern me. They can be upxmixed if needed.
It's only the album tracks that I care about.

:)

I dunno..... XTC have some pretty great b-sides. "Extrovert" and "Blame the Weather" are two faves that I like a lot more than many album cuts.

The albums are of course the top priority, but I have to admit that I felt a little cheated on Songs From the Big Chair. They had more than enough room to do the b-sides as well. "Pharaohs", "When in Love With a Blind Man" and "The Big Chair" could all sound great with a Steven Wilson 5.1 mix! Who knows, maybe somewhere down the line Tears For Fears will do a 5.1 mix of the Saturnine Martial & Lunatic compilation. (Unlikely I know, bit I can dream, can't I???)

B-sides do not concern me. They can be upxmixed if needed.
It's only the album tracks that I care about.

My first copy of Black Sea was the cd with the b sides inserted in the middle of the album so for me they are album tracks. I wish my blu ray player allowed me to program playlists. :)

I guess I need to rephrase my point of view.
Upmixes within the context of a properly remixed 5.1 surround album can sound a little jarring and out of place (Not all of the time, though. The upmixes on the King Crimson and Gentle Giant releases are exceptions) but they are necessary to help keep the flow and pacing of an album intact.

Extra tracks (for me) don't hold that same weight. Obviously if they have the multitrack tapes available, then they should also be remixed along with the main album, but if multitrack tapes for extra songs are missing, then I don't think that should hold up a remix at all. The extra tracks can be upmixed or they can just be presented in stereo, and that's fine too.

B-sides should concern you! Some of the bands I listen to have released much stronger material as B sides, granted most of them don't do 5.1 mixes, but that's not the point, all material should concern you! :)
But imo, that is not the case with XTC. So I'm not concerned with B-Sides and don't tell me I should be.

Upmixes within the context of a properly remixed 5.1 surround album can sound a little jarring and out of place (Not all of the time, though. The upmixes on the King Crimson and Gentle Giant releases are exceptions) but they are necessary to help keep the flow and pacing of an album intact.

Extra tracks (for me) don't hold that same weight. Obviously if they have the multitrack tapes available, then they should also be remixed along with the main album, but if multitrack tapes for extra songs are missing, then I don't think that should hold up a remix at all. The extra tracks can be upmixed or they can just be presented in stereo, and that's fine too.
Oh, what King Crimson tracks are upmixes? I haven’t noticed any thing ”limited” listening to the KC remixes.

"The Devil's Triangle" is upmixed on "In the Wake of Poseidon", plus "Trio" and "The Mincer" are upmixed on "Starless & Bible Black" but that's it.

I remember in my teens locking my little brother (10 or so) in my room alone while "The Devil's Triangle" was blasting . . . he nearly tore down the door getting out :devilish::LOL:

"Trio" has to be one of the loveliest Crimso pieces. . . .

Haha, yes I agree with you on both points. Upmixes can sound a bit jarring, but it's not as jarring as missing a track off altogether like they did with 'For No One' on BJH 'Everyone Is Everybody Else'. In that case I would have preferred it to drop into a stereo (+sub) mix of the track to maintain the flow of the album if no other was available. Jarring yes, but surely preferable to omitting a track altogether, especially the album closer. If multi-tracks are unavailable then the next best option really should be used to represent the material.

Back