The Prince Blu-Ray Movie Collection

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
From blu-ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19580

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced that it will release on Blu-ray Prince Movie Collection. The release will be available for purchase on October 4.

The Collection features Prince's only three acting performances: the Academy Award winner Purple Rain with newly remastered audio and video, along with the unofficial sequel Graffiti Bridge and Under the Cherry Moon, both available for the first time on Blu-ray.

The Prince Movie Collection will be available for $24.98 SRP and each film will sell individually for $14.97 SRP. Instead of the traditional blue Blu-ray casing, each film will be packaged in Prince's signature color of purple (while supplies last).

Purple Rain

Winner of Grammy and Academy Awards for its pulsating song score; Purple Rain marks the electrifying movie debut of Prince as The Kid, a Minneapolis club musician as alienated as he is talented. The Kid struggles with a tumultuous home life and his own smoldering anger while taking refuge in his music and his steamy love for sexy Apollonia Kotero. Prince and the Revolution scorch with "Let's Go Crazy", "I Would Die 4U", "When Doves Cry" and the title song in what Rolling Stone calls "the smartest, most spiritually ambitious rock-'n'-roll movie ever made."

Special Features and Technical Specs:
NEW 2016 1080p HD master
Audio Commentary by Director Albert Magnoli, Producer Robert Cavallo and Cinematographer Donald E. Thorin
First Avenue: The Road to Pop Royalty: Visit the Nightclub Where Prince Started
Purple Rain Backstage Pass: Behind the Scenes
Riffs, Ruffles and a Revolution: The Impact and Influence of Purple Rain
MTV Premiere Party Original Broadcast
8 Music Videos: Let's Go Crazy, Take Me With U, When Doves Cry, I Would Die 4 U/Baby I'm a Star, Purple Rain, Jungle Love, The Bird and Sex Shooter
Original Trailer

Under the Cherry Moon

His Purple Rain took the movie and music worlds by storm. Now Prince stars – and makes his directorial debut – in his lavishly playful second film, Under the Cherry Moon. He plays an American musician living with his pal (Jerome Benton) on the French Riviera and on the bank accounts of bored divorcees. The next object of his affection is a lovely and spirited young heiress (Kristin Scott Thomas in her movie debut). He doesn't count on confronting the girl's enraged father (Steven Berkoff). And he certainly doesn't count on falling in love. But with Prince in charge, you can definitely count on exciting music, shimmering costume, production design and style to burn. This Moon shines!

NEW 2016 1080p HD master
Trailer

Graffiti Bridge

It's got that Purple Rain feeling through and through. And it's got The Kid, too! For the first time since Purple Rain, Prince is back as The Kid. And where he goes, there's music! With "Thieves in the Temple", "New Power Generation", "Elephants and Flowers" and more red-hot Prince tunes from the Platinum-selling Graffiti Bridge soundtrack. What time is it? Party time! Morris Day and the Time play "Release It, Shake!" and more. And you'll also see and hear George Clinton, Tevin Campbell, Robin Power, Mavis Staples and other hot performers, too. Graffiti Bridge is where the movie meets the music. Cross over on it now!

NEW 2016 1080p HD master
Trailer

7316.jpg

nothing like a death to light a fire under a studios ass to grab even more cash

I always think of Steve Albini's quote in the Foo Fighters Sonic Highways episode in Chicago where Steve says (not verbatim) "It's not like a plumber gets royalties. The plumber doesn't come back to your house 20 years later and says "Oh your toilet is working great, pay me more for that"

wikipedia said:
Albini does not receive royalties for anything he records or mixes at his own facility, unlike many other engineer/record producers with his experience and prominence. At Electrical Audio in 2004, Albini earned a daily fee of US$750 for engineering work, and drew a salary of US$24,000 a year. Azerrad referred to Albini's rates in 2001 as among the most affordable for a world-class recording studio.

nothing like a death to light a fire under a studios ass to grab even more cash

I always think of Steve Albini's quote in the Foo Fighters Sonic Highways episode in Chicago where Steve says (not verbatim) "It's not like a plumber gets royalties. The plumber doesn't come back to your house 20 years later and says "Oh your toilet is working great, pay me more for that"

Steve Albini loves to use plumber analogies, including in his letter to Nirvana that eventually got him the gig producing their 1993 album "In Utero". :)

Graffiti Bridge and Under the Cherry Moon* are devastatingly BAD Prince indulgences but hell, for $25 list (and w/further discounting) why NOT? I just paid $45 for the Japanese BD~V of Sign O' the times but at least that's a great concert video. Hopefully, Warner will do Purple Rain's remaster justice with an improved soundtrack.

[*recipient of the 1986 Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture and Worst Actor]

Washington Post Review for Graffiti Bridge: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-sr...ideos/graffitibridgepg13harrington_a0aaf8.htm

Last edited:
I just saw Purple Rain on tv in stereo (DD 2.0) and it's the first time I've heard it since the 80's and it sounded fantastic so I can only imagine what the newesh blu-ray that has 5.1 DTS-HD MA is gonna sound like when I receive it from amazon.

Prince was so much more talented than I ever gave him credit for in the 80's

RIP

I just saw Purple Rain on tv in stereo (DD 2.0) and it's the first time I've heard it since the 80's and it sounded fantastic so I can only imagine what the newesh blu-ray that has 5.1 DTS-HD MA is gonna sound like when I receive it from amazon.

Prince was so much more talented than I ever gave him credit for in the 80's

RIP

I have that BD~V and while it's a vast improvement over the original in terms of PQ and SQ, sadly, Prince, like Michael Jackson were NO actors. Their magic was performing LIVE on STAGE where their brilliance really shone and on their recorded legacies.

Hey rtbluray, thanks for the tip. The movie Purple Rain, like the original Blade Runner exists in my house as VHS>LD>DVD>Blu-Rei. Of course I will get this. I'm excited to hear & see what improvements are made. This is definitely a fall season movie for me. When the leaves of Autumn turn color I've gotta turn on Purple Rain. I also have Graffiti Bridge & Under the Cherry Moon. Like most people I think his first movie was the best.

I have Diamonds and Pearls and 3 Chains o' Gold on LD. The former is excellent & I would buy again if reissued. The latter is awfuler than Cherry Moon but I even enjoy that in moments of cinematic masochism.

What about the legendary Syracuse concert? I would buy that too in high def. So there is more legacy Prince that deserves deluxe treatment. It's not about greedy show business, it's about fan's wanting to enjoy their favorite movies & music in the best way possible.

Back