The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
19 year old me never did. I pretty much "hatched" as a beer drinker fully formed, disliking bitter beer and loving Hefeweizen, etc.

Here is a sample of what I picked up today on my birthday from Treehouse Brewing. Showing great restraint, I spent less than $200. Also took a picture of Treehouse "Treat" in a West Coast brewer's IPA glass. Finally a picture of part of the canning process, while I was waiting in line. Smells so good...

Attachments

• 8 treehouse.jpeg
    8 treehouse.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Treehouse treat.jpeg
    Treehouse treat.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 76
  • canning.jpeg
    canning.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 87
But back in 1983, as a 17 year old, I thought Mickeys was pretty good!
[/QUO
But back in 1983, as a 17 year old, I thought Mickeys was pretty good!
Uh, same here...or I should say......in 1980 as a 17 year old......I drank MIckeys. Not because they tasted good, but because they were fun. We drank to get as drunk as possible on as little money as possible. That was our goal. We couldn't afford premium beer back then......everyone was broke.....

19 year old me never did. I pretty much "hatched" as a beer drinker fully formed, disliking bitter beer and loving Hefeweizen, etc.

See what two extra years of maturity got you! Mickeys is terrible! But man can it go down quick. To the post about pounding one in 2.3 seconds. I never timed myself and would not claim to beat that. However, I can say that I won a chugging contest in Amsterdam at the Heineken brewery, beating both the other tourists and the staff. The incentive was the beer would be free.

Now as a 53 year old, my Yuppie IPAs average $4 in a can (retail) and $8 on draft (bar). I sometimes miss the $30 kegs we used to get at Illinois. Quantity has its own quality...

Reactions: GOS
Uh, same here...or I should say......in 1980 as a 17 year old......I drank MIckeys. Not because they tasted good, but because they were fun. We drank to get as drunk as possible on as little money as possible. That was our goal. We couldn't afford premium beer back then......everyone was broke.....
Exactly! Pretty good meant "value". Premium beer for me was Moosehead, and sometimes Labatts. Typically it was Milwaukee's best, Keystone, or whatever was on sale.

Reactions: GOS
Not a loss when I drank stuff that tasted good.

We obviously had different perspectives/goals as teenagers when it came to drinking. Are you sure you're not from California (sorry, my wife said to write that)!

We obviously had different perspectives/goals as teenagers when it came to drinking. Are you sure you're not from California (sorry, my wife said to write that)!

Hard to say. All I know is, throughout the midwest, in the late 70's through mid 80's....if you were a teenager....there was no such thing as premium beer. No one could afford it...plain and simple. Most kids didn't have jobs and their parents certainly were not going to give them spending money......jobs were far and few between during that time. If we were so lucky as to pool together $15 bucks between 2 of us......we'd put $5 in the tank and $10 towards 2 cases of cheap beer. Oh, and a bag of ice for the trunk........money was hard to come by.

Now, fast forward to my kids. They were born in 1990, and they had it all......my wife and I gave them money to spend, so they pretty much could "afford" whatever. Different times. For sure. :)

Well at least they are pint cans(16oz)😐

I quite like the 4x16oz format. All too often when I had a 12oz can I'd want more, but another whole can.

Mrs D is on her way home from the home-brew club "wort share" brew they did up at Bomb's Away Brewing today. It's a belgian dubbel and she has had the yeast started here since Thursday night, all ready to pitch. She opted in for 5 gallons but there was a couple no-shows so she's ended up with two 5 gallon carboys, and is stopping on the way home for more yeast. I think she's going to get a different one than the first so we'll end up with a couple of slightly different versions when all done - should be fun to compare.

Back