The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t like IPA’s but I do like an Arrogant Bastard every once in a while. Does that count? Wait! That sounds.... :LOL:
I was tempted to try Arrogant Bastard when in Coronado a few years ago. There was a bit of a Fawlty Towers moment in my brain when I mused to myself, "I'll have an Arrogant Bastard please!" I thought I may have to reply, "You call THAT an Arrogant Bastard?"

Anyway, a few days later I bought a bottle in San Diego and wasn't that keen. It always seemed a little strange to me that you could buy a six pack from almost any store. In Australia it's only available from liquor outlets. But I took advantage of it and bought a different six pack every day (some mentioned in this thread for sure) for a few weeks. My son in law had plenty of beer to hand when I returned home.

Actually I'd never tasted a pale ale before landing in SF. The first day down at the pier, the waiter asked me if I'd like a drink. I said, "Seeing as I'm in America I should have a Budweiser I suppose?" He replied, it won't match up to what you're accustomed to. Allow me to get you something else. He returned with a Sierra Nevada and I was sold!

If you ever venture north of Cessnock (NSW), there's a nice little brewery at Nulkaba that makes a wonderful ginger flavoured beer

Arrogant Bastard has too much grain bitterness, for my taste.
Enjoying a Rogue Dead Guy tonight. Maybe an Old Rasputin after the kiddo conks out.

Love Rogue brews like "Dead Guy" - picked up a couple seasonal this week that we'll try out in the next few weeks. Been out to the brewery in Newport (OR) a few times, really cool place that often has a line-up much like posted earlier in the thread.

Had a local strawberry gose (La Cumbre Brewing) earlier, now having something hoppier - one of Stone Brewing's collaborations, "Mojay" a very citrusy IPA (7.6% abv, 100 ibu). Like this one, must try to get another bottle while they're still around.
Stone-Mojay-IPA.jpg

For years, I drank Stella Artois and then Heineken during 2017. For the past couple of years, I’ve been back to drinking Porters and Stouts, which are really one in the same. One of my favorites right now is the 200th Anniversary Edition for Guinness in America. It contains Black Hops and makes the flavor chocolate like with a bit of burnt coffee flavor. I love regular Guinness too. Actually, all the flavors. Fullers London Porter is another one I drink quite frequently. Love the chocolate taste. Milk Stouts I do not like, at all.

For years, I drank Stella Artois and then Heineken during 2017. For the past couple of years, I’ve been back to drinking Porters and Stouts, which are really one in the same. One of my favorites right now is the 200th Anniversary Edition for Guinness in America. It contains Black Hops and makes the flavor chocolate like with a bit of burnt coffee flavor. I love regular Guinness too. Actually, all the flavors. Fullers London Porter is another one I drink quite frequently. Love the chocolate taste. Milk Stouts I do not like, at all.
If you can get it you may like Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout, North Coast Old Rasputin, Great Lakes Brewing Blackout Stout.
I think you mean Black Patent (malt) not hops (sorry for being pedantic).
A little bit goes a long way. The debittered version is a great way to get that dark ruby red in Irish Reds without the bitterness.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...lackMalt.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3DCwnoiWPR5fRL6RNWkhme

Ew too much Rogue for my tastes... ;)

They are so mediocre when compared to most other Portland/Oregon breweries. I often find that people who love Rogue beer are from elsewhere in the country. I do have to say I DO like their Hazelnut Brown Nectar. That's a good beer. But they tend to be jack of all trades, master of none. They make a TON of different beers and most all of them are just okay...

And for the folks who said they like sours and fruit beers, has anyone tried anything from Cascade Brewing? They're my favorite Portland brewery and basically the creator of the American Sour beer movement. They make the best sours in the business.

Favorites in order;

Deschutes - Fresh Squeezed IPA
Bell's - Two Hearted Ale
Dogfish Head - 90 minute IPA
Great Lakes - Nosferatu Imperial Red Ale
Great Lakes - Chillwave Double IPA
Great Lakes - Lake Erie Monster Imperial IPA
Phoenix - Embalming Fluid Imperial IPA

By the way, I am officially retired (for the second time). So I may be around here more often, and have a bit more time to investigate the above list while enjoying all the great new 5.1 releases.

Favorites in order;

Bell's - Two Hearted Ale

By the way, I am officially retired (for the second time). So I may be around here more often, and have a bit more time to investigate the above list while enjoying all the great new 5.1 releases.
I also enjoy the Great Lakes brews......easy to buy in Illinois. Also love Bell's and Dogfish......

If you can get it you may like Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout, North Coast Old Rasputin, Great Lakes Brewing Blackout Stout.
I think you mean Black Patent (malt) not hops (sorry for being pedantic).
A little bit goes a long way. The debittered version is a great way to get that dark ruby red in Irish Reds without the bitterness.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&ved=2ahUKEwiowdyQs5XfAhWO8oMKHcfBAWsQFjAMegQIBBAC&url=http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_BlackMalt.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3DCwnoiWPR5fRL6RNWkhme
Haha...you’re right! BPM it is. I will try to find the others you mentioned. (y)

Favorites in order;

Bell's - Two Hearted Ale

See now Deschutes is great Oregon beer. I love their stuff, just not their IPAs... :LOL:

Ew too much Rogue for my tastes... ;)

They are so mediocre when compared to most other Portland/Oregon breweries. I often find that people who love Rogue beer are from elsewhere in the country. I do have to say I DO like their Hazelnut Brown Nectar. That's a good beer. But they tend to be jack of all trades, master of none. They make a TON of different beers and most all of them are just okay...

And for the folks who said they like sours and fruit beers, has anyone tried anything from Cascade Brewing? They're my favorite Portland brewery and basically the creator of the American Sour beer movement. They make the best sours in the business.

Heheh....Rogue. I like some of their beer - that hazelnut brown is indeed very good. I like some of their IPA's but they do so many that are hit and miss. We were out in Newport a few years back for a wedding and the B&B we stayed in was a houseboat in the harbor, just a little stroll from the brewery (on the south side, not the taproom on the north side of the harbor). I bought the glassware as I needed(?) an IPA glass and they had 'em on sale - bugs me that our local breweries are so big on IPA's and win all sorts of awards for them but none make a proper IPA glass, at least not yet.

I like the Cascade sours but they're pretty expensive around here - minimum $20 a bottle, so it's a special treat when we get one. Last time I was up in Oregon we stopped at a few places - Breakside was pretty good, and Klamath Basin (down in K Falls) wasn't too shabby either. I got 2 or 3 bombers from Pelican Brewing that were very good too....too many good breweries and not enough time!

Got my blood test this week, all perfect, except cholesterol was 215, no beer tonight.

Oh, gotta get that number back in line! I had bloodwork done at my annual a few weeks ago, doctor said she call if anything was out of whack otherwise I'll just get a copy of the results in the mail....I guess I must be doing okay!

Back