The QuadraphonicQuad Wine Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just getting back home from a week conference in Indianapolis. Last night, I took a good client to a super steakhouse (the name escapes me). I was in charge of ordering wine for our group of 6. I knew I wanted Napa Valley Cabernet. Found a 2021 Frank Family.... $139 per bottle. So, I bought 2. They decanted both into some nice glassware, the wine truly was super.

But, I know these places mark them up a bunch. I found the exact wine at my favorite liquor store in Champaign, IL (Binny's) for $49.99.

So, there you have it. lol

Just getting back home from a week conference in Indianapolis. Last night, I took a good client to a super steakhouse (the name escapes me). I was in charge of ordering wine for our group of 6. I knew I wanted Napa Valley Cabernet. Found a 2021 Frank Family.... $139 per bottle. So, I bought 2. They decanted both into some nice glassware, the wine truly was super.

But, I know these places mark them up a bunch. I found the exact wine at my favorite liquor store in Champaign, IL (Binny's) for $49.99.

So, there you have it. lol

That is a crazy mark up! That's like buying wine at Discogs. Hurray for Binny's. I guess you bought two?

I am a big believer in the value of letting wine breath when enjoying. Whenever I've ordered a full bottle at a restaurant all I can think is: hmmm. Pretty good. I wonder how it would taste in an hour or two.

Someone who knows wines from Spain please chime in. I want a high quality red, same level as a Napa Valley Cab. This one sure tastes thin.

IMG_8082.jpeg

Well, tempranillo is a different grape than cabernet so different flavor profiles. There are separate quality levels of rioja which are based somewhat on aging time before release. Grapes of Spain (importer) brings in good Spanish wines if they are available in your area or online. WTSO.com has deals on Spanish wines and they ship everywhere.

Last edited:

ENJOY! I love Argentina, and I love drinking their Malbec when I visit on business. :love:

Explore the country & wines of Argentina​

Argentina’s first recorded vineyard dates to the 1550s and Argentina is now the largest wine-producing country in South America. While we know it best for its production of Malbec, the country’s wine industry is flourishing, offering a great diversity of both grape varieties and wine styles thanks to its suitable climate, varied landscape, and range of soil types.
The wine producing areas of Argentina stretch for over 930 miles and the influence of both latitude and altitude play an important role in viticulture. In fact, Argentina is home to the world’s greatest concentration of high-altitude vineyards. With the exception of Patagonia in the south, the vineyards sit in the foothills of the Andes in the western part of the country.
Cafayate Fields

GRAPE VARIETIES GROWN

Red Varieties Distribution
Argentina’s signature grape variety, Malbec, has seen a 350% increase in plantings from 1995. In Argentina, it produces wines with deep color, full body, and high soft tannins. It tends to have high alcohol with flavors of blackberry, raspberry and plum. Fresher styles, often grown in higher altitudes, also display floral and herbal aromas with more acidity.
Malbec Grapes

Its second most planted variety, Bonarda, is grown on warmer sites and produces wines of deep color, red and black fruit aromas, and medium tannin and acidity. It’s fruity qualities make it a popular blending partner with Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec.
Cabernet Sauvignon in Argentina is full in body with high, ripe tannins. With aromas of ripe blackberry and blackcurrant, spicy notes and an herbaceous character, Cabernet drinkers will thoroughly enjoy the Argentine expression. Cabernet Sauvignon is used in blends with Malbec and can increasingly be found as a high quality, single varietal wine.

White Varieties Distribution

REGIONS

Argentine Wine Growing Regions Map
Salta: ituated between the 24-26th parallel, this low latitude region is situated at extremely high elevations with some vineyards close to 10,000 feet. It’s famous for the white variety, Torrontes, producing wines with pronounced aromatic intensity and floral, ripe citrus, and peach aromas. The region also produces high quality Malbec, often with a richer, spicier profile and high, firm tannins thanks to its high elevation and more direct UV light.
Mendoza: The province of Mendoza is the center of wine production in Argentina. From inexpensive, everyday wines to premium, high-quality bottlings, Mendoza has 75% of the country’s plantings and produces two-thirds of its wine. The base of production sits at the foothills of the Andes and winemakers are continuing to experiment with higher elevation sites to produce increasingly fresh red and white wines. The most prestigious GI within Mendoza is the Uco Valley, home to the highest elevation vineyards in Mendoza.
Mendoza Vineyards

Surely Argentina produces some great wine, but when the dominant restaurant cuisine there is between the choice of Barbecue, or Barbecue, or even Barbecue, not surprisingly the dominant choice of wine is a powerful Malbec, or a powerful Malbec, or even a powerful Malbec.

Last edited:
In fact, all the countries with climate zones around latitude 35 South produce some great wines with some regional specialties:
Australia with Shiraz, Chile with Cabernet Sauvignon and Carmenere, Uruguay with Tannat, South AFrica with Pinot Noir, not to forget New Zealand with some fresher cool climate specialties.

So finally, Argentine wines are indeed great, but it is wonderful to venture out into the big wide world of so many great southern hemisphere wines ... beyond Malbec ...

Big fan of Achaval Ferrer wines. We visited the winery and totally enjoyed the experience. Thanks for the article!

Back