The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RICHARD THOMPSON SHOULD BE HEADLINING!!!
I think he is, its not until you arrive that they give the running order, and which day they're playing - the real **** is when 2 bands you want to see are on at the same time. Mind you he will be in the Big Top which is a good place to be in the rain, and it always rains whenever and wherever he plays!

I think he is, its not until you arrive that they give the running order, and which day they're playing - the real **** is when 2 bands you want to see are on at the same time. Mind you he will be in the Big Top which is a good place to be in the rain, and it always rains whenever and wherever he plays!

Curious to who the mystery headliner is on Friday?! Manic Street preachers are pretty tough to beat! Think you’ll have a great time Duncan... :SG

Curious to who the mystery headliner is on Friday?! Manic Street preachers are pretty tough to beat! Think you’ll have a great time Duncan... :SG
It is The Hives. And I usually do have a good time, there are plenty of Tents selling Otter Beer! and if the weather is to much (and the rainmeister Mr. Thompson is playing) its not far to get home

Steven Wilson just announced a fall North American tour:

SW-NA-TOUR-2018-724x1024.jpg

I saw a pretty good band called the Mosquitos tonight at my local fair.......one of the more interesting songs they played was Stuck In The Middle With You by Stealers Wheel[with a washboard to boot].

I have a slightly different take on what a gig is…..

The BBC Proms are the largest music festival of any sort anywhere in the world and living close to London I try and go to half a dozen or so of the concerts every year. I had my first couple of visits to this year’s season earlier this week, here are the programmes:

P1.jpg

“A concert of sonic scope and spectacle from the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and its Principal Guest Conductor Ilan Volkov climaxes in Strauss’s dramatic An Alpine Symphony, which paints a vivid picture of a day’s hiking in the Bavarian mountains.
The Alps also make their way into Georg Friedrich Haas’s Concerto grosso in the form of four alphorns – enormous wooden horns, whose other-worldly overtones also inspired Rossini and Berlioz.
The concert opens with Mozart’s Notturno, an unfinished Salzburg carnival serenade, whose four separate instrumental groups will be dispersed around the Royal Albert Hall for maximum acoustic drama.”

P2.jpg

“Triumphant horns and a flirtatious, vivacious solo violin set the tone for Strauss’s vivid autobiographical tone-poem Ein Heldenleben – ‘A Hero’s Life’, outwardly inspired by ‘an ideal of great and manly heroism’.
The orchestra is also at the forefront in Dvořák’s Cello Concerto, sounding as an equal partner to the soloist – German cellist Daniel Müller-Schott, who returns to the Proms under tonight’s debut conductor Otto Tausk – in an intensely personal work that marries a pervasive sense of longing with real passion.
In the centenary year of British women gaining the right to vote, Ethel Smyth’s evocative Act 2 Prelude from The Wreckers celebrates a key British composer who, as a suffragette, spent two months in Holloway Prison.”

As I was putting these programmes away (I always keep them) I found this one from one of the first Proms I attended back in 1977 (Mozart 41 & Bruckner 4 btw):

P3.jpg

The sharp-eyed will have noticed that as well as the art work having improved, the cost of the programme has increased from 20p to £4 (!) and that makes me feel very old – but that timespan has resulted in decades of glorious musical memories of performances by the world’s greatest musicians for which I feel very lucky to have been able to have experienced. I’m looking forward to my next visit in a week’s time.

Now, THAT IS A SHOW!!! Looks like you had a great time!!! RW always puts on a real show...saw him in Barcelona in 2007 and it was kickass!!!
You missed nothing, kap'n, his concert in Madrid was not worthy, in my opinion. I went on the same week after seeing Nick's in London and I wish I hadn't gone. I even did not write a review at the moment to check if I have just had a bad day, but no, in retrospective it was a terrible show.
I arrive quite early to the venue to get a good spot and, to my dismay, the VIP zone occupied a huge area. The best place I was able to get was at the middle of the central screens, close to one of the prism pillars. I was around 50 meters away from the scenario, and that really pissed me off. Anyway, blame the promoters and not Roger.
I entertained myself reading a copy of In the Pink book I bought for 20€, glad I did that. The first half is quite boring and a bit pretentious, but the second half focused on DSoTM tour is worth a read.
Back to the concert, the show started with DSoTM songs and definitely something was missing. Sound quality was good, but my position on the floor was not optimal form the surround effects. The rendition of the songs was soulless and the visuals a bit dire. The saturated colours they used were a bit too much and they butchered the original movies by overimposing shots of the live musicians. One of these days and Great Gig were the most inspired renditions of the classics, in my opinion. The rest of the songs were just that... songs played by the book by a tribute band. I was far enough not to see Roger lipsyncing, but for the first few songs the video in the huge screen was completely out of sync with the music.
People were the worst. Spanish guys and gals are known for singing to the songs without knowing a single English word. I was surrounded by drunk people, "singing" and talking all the time. A couple of guys were in a kind of contest to name the exact brand and type of the amps on stage. A girl became violent trying to push me out of my place.
All the anti war imaginery being displayed and I was feeling more and more upset. I could not understand what all these people were doing here. Kap'n knows me and I guess he would reckon I'm a very calm person, but I was really about to kick a guy on his face (repairing the spitting incident would have been very appropriate).
The Animals songs were just ok, they lacked the punch and bile of the 77 boots. The moment Battersea station was built wasn't the highlight of the show though.
Violence continued as a group of girls tried to get the better place close to the VIP area fence and were violently moved back by the rest of the people.
I felt so disconnected from the audience and the music I decided to fall back to the rear of the venue for the encores. And what a show back there! I could not believe the number of drunken people that had to be treated by the emergency units over there. People almost unconscious after having spent more than 70 euros.
Comfortably Numb perfectly represented my state of mind after I left. I could not believe I had not enjoyed a Floyd related concert. Everything about the show seemed false and hypocrite to me.
Weeks later I still feel the same and I can't believe how much enjoyable Roger's previous tours were.
The musicianship on In the Flesh was superb, Dark Side tour fantastic and The Wall, from a visual point of view, insuperable. This last one, sadly, forgettable.
I'm really glad for all the people that enjoyed it, honestly.
By the way, today I manage to grab a copy of Is this the life that we want (limited green vinyl) in Amazon Spain for 15 euros. Same mastering as the black one, but even more silent, recommendable.

I'm going to see Mr Blotto at my local fair tonight.........they were very good btw[they played for almost 2 and a half hours......the encore was Kashmir by Led Zeppelin.......they also played 2 Grateful Dead covers....Jack A Roe and Scarlet Fire as well as a Bob Marley cover Lively Up Yourself].

Last edited:
Just got tickets for Steven Wilson's start of NA tour, right here in sunny Vancouver,well not in November when he comes but is sunny here today.
Only second time for SW to come here so should be fun and same venue.
I think I'll get one on Monday for him too, as he plays again in Madrid this next January. I sadly missed him playing at a big venue this year, so going back to the shitty sounding La Riviera where I saw PT many years ago (and Steven with Kap'n) should compensate for that

I think I'll get one on Monday for him too, as he plays again in Madrid this next January. I sadly missed him playing at a big venue this year, so going back to the shitty sounding La Riviera where I saw PT many years ago (and Steven with Kap'n) should compensate for that

ahh La Riviera.. it IS a shitty venue..but I think it has its charms.. maybe I'm waxing nostalgic because of not being there anymore...saw many great concerts there!!! Enjoy it, brother!!!

Tonight I saw Tributosaurus becomes the Police........for the encore they played Tommy Tutone's 867-5309 Jenny Jenny followed by AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long[they're becoming AC/DC at the end of the month at Skokie's Backlot Bash btw].

Tonight I saw Dick Holiday and the Bamboo Gang at the local fair.......they Covered Spanish Moon by Little Feat,Me and Mrs Jones by Billy Paul,Dreadlock Holiday by 10cc and Six Strings Down by Jimmy Vaughn among many others.

Back