The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio killed it at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland last night. If any of you have the opportunity to catch their show on this tour, do so. You won't regret it!

Fourplay & I were lucky enough to take in Nick Mason in NYC tonight. This tour is absolutely amazing, but tonight was made extra special because of a surprise appearance by Roger Waters!!!!

This was a Holy Grail moment for Floyd fans, and particularly for two long time veterans of the Floyd wars... and for Roger and Nick. Us meets Them!

The National last night at Roy Thompson (small, beautiful, acoustically great) Hall. Started with premiere of their half-hour film produced by Mike Mills (not the REM MM). Hmmm. Then a question and answer with Fiest moderating, Matt, Aaron and Mike participating. This was initially very informative about how the album evolved from a number of extant songs, stems sent to MM, then with his feedback to the band, revisioning of songs, etc. It was good to hear MM clarify his creative process. When the question and answer was turned over to the audience, a couple of people misused the opportunity a bit to highlight themselves, and that ended pretty quickly.

The performance itself was wonderful. On first listen...the new album (performed in its entirety) will need repeated listenings...a couple of songs seemed not up to the rest, but will need to delve in more deeply. Wonderful set of encore tunes.

Props to the string septet. They sadly got no mention from the band (unless I missed it). Bravo to them--seamlessly integrated.

Okay, at least a couple of fellow quad old dawgs out there would have appreciated the Strawbs 50th anniversary celebration/concert which started Friday evening and ended Sunday afternoon in Lakewood NJ. Pretty amazing integration with a 30 piece orchestra for a portion of the performance. Annie Haslam singing Sandy Denny's parts to perform a few tunes from "All Our Own Work". The United Nations singers joining at another point. Acoustic Strawbs. Full-on electric Strawbs. Former Strawbs. Current Strawbs. Tributes to Strawbs. One irrelevant mis-step with Sophie Hawkins singing her one big hit :mad: Finishing Sunday with a brunch with the band, with music and stories.:rocks

Many of the songs take a bit different cast and the band (and its fans) grow older...lots of memories, cold chills, and some tears

I went to see a blues band at my local public library called Mississippi Heat they're worth checking out if they come to your area.

Reactions: GOS
The Flaming Lips are coming to my area this summer. They are performing the entire The Soft Bulletin for its 20th anniversary. Nice. I hope Wayne still does the bubble walk.

But what I really found interesting is the opening act called The Claypool Lennon Delirium . This is Les Claypool from Primus teaming up with Sean Lennon, son of John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

Quote from the band: Les Claypool and Sean Lennon, have combined their abstract talents into a project called The Claypool Lennon Delirium. Their efforts thus far have spawned three official releases and numerous world tours. “Sean is a musical mutant after my own heart,” said Claypool. “He definitely reflects his genetics--not just the sensibilities of his dad but also the abstract perspective and unique approach of his mother. It makes for a glorious freak stew.”

if nothing else, its gonna be interesting.

The Flaming Lips are coming to my area this summer. They are performing the entire The Soft Bulletin for its 20th anniversary. Nice. I hope Wayne still does the bubble walk.

But what I really found interesting is the opening act called The Claypool Lennon Delirium . This is Les Claypool from Primus teaming up with Sean Lennon, son of John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

Quote from the band: Les Claypool and Sean Lennon, have combined their abstract talents into a project called The Claypool Lennon Delirium. Their efforts thus far have spawned three official releases and numerous world tours. “Sean is a musical mutant after my own heart,” said Claypool. “He definitely reflects his genetics--not just the sensibilities of his dad but also the abstract perspective and unique approach of his mother. It makes for a glorious freak stew.”

if nothing else, its gonna be interesting.

I just saw the Claypool Lennon Experience on April 26th at Thalia Hall in Chicago and was quite impressed. Sean Lennon surprised me with his guitar playing. They also did a great version of Sean's father's song "Tomorrow Never Knows". The original songs were nicely composed and have a great psychedelic edge to them. Choice covers included King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King" and Pink Floyd's "Astronomy Domine". Highly recommended!

The National last night at Roy Thompson (small, beautiful, acoustically great) Hall. Started with premiere of their half-hour film produced by Mike Mills (not the REM MM). Hmmm. Then a question and answer with Fiest moderating, Matt, Aaron and Mike participating. This was initially very informative about how the album evolved from a number of extant songs, stems sent to MM, then with his feedback to the band, revisioning of songs, etc. It was good to hear MM clarify his creative process. When the question and answer was turned over to the audience, a couple of people misused the opportunity a bit to highlight themselves, and that ended pretty quickly.

The performance itself was wonderful. On first listen...the new album (performed in its entirety) will need repeated listenings...a couple of songs seemed not up to the rest, but will need to delve in more deeply. Wonderful set of encore tunes.

Props to the string septet. They sadly got no mention from the band (unless I missed it). Bravo to them--seamlessly integrated.
You must be from TO as well!! How's the weather up there treating you these daze😀

Anyone know if and where and when Nick Mason's "Saucerfull of Secrets" is coming to the Tampa, Florida area?

The American leg of the tour just wrapped up. Don't know if they're planning on coming back. They're doing another run of European shows right now. Worst case scenario, Nick mentioned in a recent interview that a live album & video will be forthcoming. So if he doesn't come back to the States, at least you will be able to see it on Blu-ray.

The American leg of the tour just wrapped up. Don't know if they're planning on coming back. They're doing another run of European shows right now. Worst case scenario, Nick mentioned in a recent interview that a live album & video will be forthcoming. So if he doesn't come back to the States, at least you will be able to see it on Blu-ray.
Thanks for the info..... appreciate it

Joe Jackson tonight in Northampton, MA. 64 years old and still at the top of his game. Lots of faves like "You Can't Get What You Want", "I'm the Man", "Sunday Papers", "Is She Really Going Out With Him" and "Steppin' Out". Cool stuff from his new album and a couple of excellent covers, Steely Dan's "King of the World" and The Beatles' "Rain." His piano playing is still flawless and his new band kicks some serious butt. (And it's about time we got some of Joe's albums mixed into 5.1!)

Just saw California Guitar Trio and Montréal Guitare Trio. MGT played ~25 minutes, CGT ~35 minutes and then another ~40 minutes as a double trio. It was a great show, maybe 120 people in the venue.
They all came out to the merch table to chat and sign stuff afterward.
https://cgtrio.com/2019/05/10/headliners-music-hall-louisville-ky/

Senior Acts Getting Iffy....
My better half had tickets to see Fleetwood Mac last month (with a friend, I had little interest with no Lindsey Buckingham) and it ended up being cancelled due to Stevie Nicks having an illness. Last night her and daughter headed out to see Cher. After the opening act, there was a one hour gap when it was announced that Cher was ill and could not perform. It was very last minute so I expect she was quite sick unfortunately. No word yet this morning on the cause but of course we wish her well. As someone who is also approaching senior years, it's hard to believe how some of these acts can climb up on stage and belt out songs from younger days. One of my favourite musicians in the world, David Gilmour, comes under that umbrella. How impressive was that when, at over 70, he was touring for his Rattle That Lock album and still putting his voice and fantastic guitar playing to Pink Floyd songs of days gone by? Geez, I'm about a decade younger than him and I consider it a success if I get the blu ray of Rattle That Lock in the player right side up. Of course there are a myriad acts still performing, The Stones, McCartney, Clapton, Jeff Beck etc....but it's getting to be that time, if you're taking in a senior act consider yourself lucky if all goes well. ;)

Last edited:
Back