The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Senior Acts Getting Iffy....
My better half had tickets to see Fleetwood Mac last month (with a friend, I had little interest with no Lindsey Buckingham) and it ended up being cancelled due to Stevie Nicks having an illness. Last night her and daughter headed out to see Cher. After the opening act, there was a one hour gap when it was announced that Cher was ill and could not perform. It was very last minute so I expect she was quite sick unfortunately. No word yet this morning on the cause but of course we wish her well. As someone who is also approaching senior years, it's hard to believe how some of these acts can climb up on stage and belt out songs from younger days. One of my favourite musicians in the world, David Gilmour, comes under that umbrella. How impressive was that when, at over 70, he was touring for his Rattle That Lock album and still putting his voice and fantastic guitar playing to Pink Floyd songs of days gone by? Geez, I'm about a decade younger than him and I consider it a success if get the blu ray of Rattle That Lock in the player right side up. Of course there are a myriad acts still performing, The Stones, McCartney, Clapton, Jeff Beck etc....but it's getting to be that time, if you're taking in a senior act consider yourself lucky if all goes well. ;)
Robert Fripp comes to mind (with Tony Levin and Mel Collins who are also 70+)...yes, it is a bit daunting but.. age is a number..

Senior Acts Getting Iffy....
My better half had tickets to see Fleetwood Mac last month (with a friend, I had little interest with no Lindsey Buckingham) and it ended up being cancelled due to Stevie Nicks having an illness. Last night her and daughter headed out to see Cher. After the opening act, there was a one hour gap when it was announced that Cher was ill and could not perform. It was very last minute so I expect she was quite sick unfortunately. No word yet this morning on the cause but of course we wish her well. As someone who is also approaching senior years, it's hard to believe how some of these acts can climb up on stage and belt out songs from younger days. One of my favourite musicians in the world, David Gilmour, comes under that umbrella. How impressive was that when, at over 70, he was touring for his Rattle That Lock album and still putting his voice and fantastic guitar playing to Pink Floyd songs of days gone by? Geez, I'm about a decade younger than him and I consider it a success if get the blu ray of Rattle That Lock in the player right side up. Of course there are a myriad acts still performing, The Stones, McCartney, Clapton, Jeff Beck etc....but it's getting to be that time, if you're taking in a senior act consider yourself lucky if all goes well. ;)
It makes me wonder if I should stop passing on the "insurance" the ticket brokers offer when purchasing tickets for "senior" acts! (The "senior" acts tend to be pretty pricey, as well)

You are quite right, many shows get postponed/canceled due to the wear on our favorite artists.
I am amazed that so many still bring it every show, Buddy Guy, Fripp, Levin, McCartney, Stones (usually).
The shame is when you see an artist that shouldn't play live anymore. (hint Ian Anderson whose can play but his voice is gone)

As a (no good) bassist, my musical favorites have been taking a beating the last few years. Lemmy, Squire, Wetton, Lake. Maybe Spinal Tap needs another movie with the bass players taking the beating the drummers used to.

You are quite right, many shows get postponed/canceled due to the wear on our favorite artists.
I am amazed that so many still bring it every show, Buddy Guy, Fripp, Levin, McCartney, Stones (usually).
The shame is when you see an artist that shouldn't play live anymore. (hint Ian Anderson whose can play but his voice is gone)

As a (no good) bassist, my musical favorites have been taking a beating the last few years. Lemmy, Squire, Wetton, Lake. Maybe Spinal Tap needs another movie with the bass players taking the beating the drummers used to.

Mmm yeah, Buddy Guy is just so impressive at 82, eh?

Went to see The Strokes in London (ahem) last night - great bloody gig!! Awesome back up with Jarvis Cocker, Johnny Marr and The Raconteurs...

The Strokes were awesome but seeing Johnny Marr play ‘How Soon Is Now?’ has to be one of my best moments ever!!

Plus seeing Jack White come on stage and literally slam his microphone to the floor was one of the most rock’n’roll moments I’ve ever seen! 😍

The Strokes were awesome but seeing Johnny Marr play ‘How Soon Is Now?’ has to be one of my best moments ever!!

Wow! That had to be a moment!

How does he do that slide (you know the riff: da-DOOOM) -- just going down the frets? Or does he use some electronic device? Or does he bend the whole chord?

I was only fortunate enough to see the original Queen band in 1978 and it is one of my favorite concerts of all time.
I saw the next best thing about 6 years ago when seeing Queen Extravaganza which was band put together by Roger Taylor and featured Marc Martel as one of the main singers.
So saw Marc Martel's current Queen show called "The Ultimate Queen Celebration", it was awesome, loved the show.
Marc has put together a good band and Marc's vocals are totally amazing.
Then as well if you have checked out "Bohemian Rhapsody" movie well they used both Freddie M. and Marc's vocals for it. Marc is not allowed to say how much of the movie used his vocals so just as reason that he has had to sign a disclosure statement makes me think it must have been quite a bit.
If anyone has a chance to see this show go for it, you won't be disappointed if you like Queen music at all.
Here is a article for show done here, says Friday but they did a Saturday show as well which I attended.

https://www.tourismvancouver.com/event/the-ultimate-queen-celebration-starring-marc-martel/19575/

Wow! That had to be a moment!

How does he do that slide (you know the riff: da-DOOOM) -- just going down the frets? Or does he use some electronic device? Or does he bend the whole chord?

I think that must have been done by another guitarist at the gig? Or an effect added? I know he goes through the amp for that ‘wom wom wom wom’ sound... He played ‘This Charming Man’ as well! 😎

This video is quite good...

Was in Vegas this weekend; it was a PACKED 4 day stint.
On Friday we went to the Mirage to see "Love".
OK , so I had never seen a Cirque Du Soleil show. Can I say I was EMOTIONALLY DRAINED by the end of the show? Not only because of the really LOUD Surround mixes (I have had the DVDA for almost 10 years and I LOVE it!) and the speakers on the chair's headrests(YES!) but the sheer precision and artistry of the personnel involved, its incredible accuracy and the MONTHS that it must have taken them to perfect this "BEYOND INCREDIBLE" show...most definitely a MUST SEE!
On Sunday night we saw Juanes in the Mandalay Beach venue; he put on a great , albeit short (less than 90 minutes) show... and , yes, it was raining and an unseasonably COLD weather but we all had a blast!

Oh , and on Saturday I married my High School sweetheart in the oldest chapel in Vegas. (yes, I know, but my ex-wife behaved terribly when I moved to the US after our divorce in 2017 and I had a horrible time getting over that.. luckily enough , the Universe gave me back my first love very recently and this time we mean it...can you hear violins playing in LR and RR?).

Oh , and on Saturday I married my High School sweetheart in the oldest chapel in Vegas. (yes, I know, but my ex-wife behaved terribly when I moved to the US after our divorce in 2017 and I had a horrible time getting over that.. luckily enough , the Universe gave me back my first love very recently and this time we mean it...can you hear violins playing in LR and RR?).

Wow! Sounds brill! Congratulations Mr & Mrs Krunch! 🍾🥂

OK , so I had never seen a Cirque Du Soleil show. Can I say I was EMOTIONALLY DRAINED by the end of the show? Not only because of the really LOUD Surround mixes (I have had the DVDA for almost 10 years and I LOVE it!) and the speakers on the chair's headrests(YES!) but the sheer precision and artistry of the personnel involved, its incredible accuracy and the MONTHS that it must have taken them to perfect this "BEYOND INCREDIBLE" show...most definitely a MUST SEE!
On Sunday night we saw Juanes in the Mandalay Beach venue; he put on a great , albeit short (less than 90 minutes) show... and , yes, it was raining and an unseasonably COLD weather but we all had a blast!

So happy for you Kap’n; and the true mark of a Surround fanatic by posting your marriage as an afterthought to a Vegas surround show :ROFLMAO: :love:🤩

So happy for you Kap’n; and the true mark of a Surround fanatic by posting your marriage as an afterthought to a Vegas surround show :ROFLMAO: :love:🤩
Thanks Pupster...
Well.. this is not a "SOCIAL MEDIA" Forum so I thought I'd post it as an afterthought but, don't get me wrong, I am really in love here and for me there's no comparison...I do love my MCH stuff but , alas, REAL LOVE..ahhhh yes!!!

Thanks Pupster...
Well.. this is not a "SOCIAL MEDIA" Forum so I thought I'd post it as an afterthought but, don't get me wrong, I am really in love here and for me there's no comparison...I do love my MCH stuff but , alas, REAL LOVE..ahhhh yes!!!

Well this site is the closest I get to Social anything! So feel free as long as I’m concerned; hopefully my QQ brothers and sisters can tolerate some LOVE 💗

Congrats on your LOVE WEEKEND, Alberto.

Totally agree with you about Cirque Beatles Love show. It is a amazing visual and audio feast,has to be seen and heard in person. Saw for the first time on our 25th wedding anniversary going to Vegas and went this past January and saw for the 2nd time and totally enjoyable again.

Congrats on your LOVE WEEKEND, Alberto.

Totally agree with you about Cirque Beatles Love show. It is a amazing visual and audio feast,has to be seen and heard in person. Saw for the first time on our 25th wedding anniversary going to Vegas and went this past January and saw for the 2nd time and totally enjoyable again.

Hey Peter! Thanks a lot.. I guess we will be joining you in the "Vegas Wedding Anniversary Club".. I will make it a point to see this show every time we go back, I am sure I missed a bunch of things this first time around...I think one of the many highlights was the HUGE white sheet that was spread on top of the stage and the bottom half of the audience during the "Octopus' garden" number.. we were in the perfect place : right where it ended...!!!

Last edited:
Back