The Resurgence of the CD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe if they made a turntable style vertical CD player where you could see the disc spinning, the sales would start again. And, they could add some color to the label side. :D:giggle:

Maybe if they just started [again] to remaster them from the original masters with NO compression the public wouldn't be so wary of purchasing them again. I used to have a gorgeous, tank like Krell top loading CD player with a clear 'damped' lucite cover which came with a metal 'damper.' It cost mega bucks and ironically, any OPPO would probably blow it out of the water today, sonically!

Perp, I know you were joking .... or were U?

krell_10.jpg

Or, Perp you could always 'invest' in a CD jukebox :ROFLMAO:after all, Perfect Sound FOREVER comes at a price!

nsm-hypebeam-100-cd-wall-jukebox-610-p.jpg

• And ALL those flashing psychedelic lights after smoking a bowl of ganja!
    tumblr_n4yj5jpTr51tzvkxco1_500.gif

Last edited:
My entire collection of RBCDs. I think I may have a problem, LOL.

RBCDCollecion.jpg

I think I have a bigger problem because my collection of archaic relics like Laserdiscs, Beta, VHS, Hi 8, Blu Ray/4K videos, DVDs, RBCDs, SACDs, DVD~A's and BD~As would require probably 10 images from ultra wide fish~eye lenses.

And I'm still getting emails everyday of NEW shipments.

Whoever said possession is 9/10ths of the law didn't take into account that it can also be construed as a malady which if left unchecked can be truly unsettling.

And there are still days and nights when I can't decide on what to watch or listen to.........which is even MORE UNSETTLING!o_O

I bought my first cd player in 1986 and have been collecting cds pretty heavily ever since. They never went out of fashion in my home. I personally don't understand this new rage for vinyl. I won't argue about whether it sounds better or not because I haven't listened to one in at least 20 years so I have no reference. I agree with all the complaints people make about how cds are being produced these days with excessive amplification and compression. But other than the possibility of vinyl sounding better I cannot find any other reason to want to buy one. And I can find many reasons not to. The funny thing is, the people I know personally who are buying vinyl don't really have decent enough equipment to make it sound better than cds. The cds I bought in 1986 still sound exactly the same way they did when I bought them unlike vinyl which degrades every time you play it. Well, my cds do sound better now because I have better equipment. There was a rumor in the early days of cd that they would start rotting after 10 years of so. Didn't happen and usually won't if you take care of them. I'm sure the record industry wishes they would rot. The cd has been an incredibly successful music format and I think it will be around for quite some time. After having said all this I have no idea whether there is a resurgence because I never gave up on it even while I embraced sacd, dvd audio, blu-ray audio et. al.

I bought my first cd player in 1986 and have been collecting cds pretty heavily ever since. They never went out of fashion in my home. I personally don't understand this new rage for vinyl. I won't argue about whether it sounds better or not because I haven't listened to one in at least 20 years so I have no reference. I agree with all the complaints people make about how cds are being produced these days with excessive amplification and compression. But other than the possibility of vinyl sounding better I cannot find any other reason to want to buy one. And I can find many reasons not to. The funny thing is, the people I know personally who are buying vinyl don't really have decent enough equipment to make it sound better than cds. The cds I bought in 1986 still sound exactly the same way they did when I bought them unlike vinyl which degrades every time you play it. Well, my cds do sound better now because I have better equipment. There was a rumor in the early days of cd that they would start rotting after 10 years of so. Didn't happen and usually won't if you take care of them. I'm sure the record industry wishes they would rot. The cd has been an incredibly successful music format and I think it will be around for quite some time. After having said all this I have no idea whether there is a resurgence because I never gave up on it even while I embraced sacd, dvd audio, blu-ray audio et. al.

Good to see you posting:LB..I'm finding more and more excellent sounding CDs by research and with the help of members on here..... Ebay and Discogs are my versions of importcds and deepdiscounts for older titles..

The cds I bought in 1986 still sound exactly the same way they did when I bought them unlike vinyl which degrades every time you play it. There was a rumor in the early days of cd that they would start rotting after 10 years of so. Didn't happen and usually won't if you take care of them..
Unless you are abusing them, vinyl records shouldnā€™t degrade. Same as CDā€™s, if you take care of them.

Unless you are abusing them, vinyl records shouldnā€™t degrade. Same as CDā€™s, if you take care of them.
In a perfect world, yes. :)
Discs are prone to manufacturing defects that can lead to corrosion even if properly cared for (people call it disc rot). Vinyl requires a significantly expensive cartridge and properly calibrated for pro results without damage. (Those DJ turntables don't even get honorable mention.)

Kind of a catch 22 situation to me. As much as I love the digital age with the ability to perfectly capture and preserve audio (and for a fraction of the cost of vinyl), 1000 years after the armageddon I expect intact vinyl to be unearthed while any digital storage formats will have long corroded away. Someone would have to reverse engineer the data too. First you'd have to realize all the varying data values were originally supposed to be ones and zeros for digital data. Then figure out that every 24 bits of data was a 'word'. And on it goes...

I'm not a scientist, I only play one on ......... sorry. I'm pretty sure that regardless of the quality of your cartridge the needle is still creating friction and heat while traveling the grooves of vinyl and that creates degradation. But that's only one reason I don't buy vinyl. Both cds and vinyl use plastic and will probably survive the end of mankind on earth but you may be right that the vinyl will still be playable while the cd may have digital rot. Perhaps the synthetics that replace us will enjoy the next resurgence of vinyl.

I'm not a scientist, I only play one on ......... sorry. I'm pretty sure that regardless of the quality of your cartridge the needle is still creating friction and heat while traveling the grooves of vinyl and that creates degradation. But that's only one reason I don't buy vinyl. Both cds and vinyl use plastic and will probably survive the end of mankind on earth but you may be right that the vinyl will still be playable while the cd may have digital rot. Perhaps the synthetics that replace us will enjoy the next resurgence of vinyl.

This entire conversation reminds of of those special discs called Desert Island ones which you'd take to that special Shangra La only to find out there's NO ELECTRICITY on a Desert Island!
desert_island3.jpg

I started seriously collecting music around 1967. I bought a Teac 3340s in 1972 and from that point on, the first thing I would do when I bought a new album was to transfer it to my R-R. That seemed to be the only way to listen multiple times and not have eventual degradation. Plus, so many albums right out of the sleeve would have tics and pops.
Anyway, I hope cds never disappear.
Every vinyl album has static electricity caused by removal from sleeve. One can have the finest equipment, yet there is still wear on the LP from each play. It is a physical medium after all.
And the compression in the inner grooves was always most annoying to me. When I replaced my albums with cds, I heard such a difference with those tunes that had unfortunately been inner grooves.
I know cds are not perfect, especially when it comes to reproducing strings, but a properly mastered cd sounds damn good and will not deteriorate over time.
Those who are into vinyl, I say more power to them, but for myself, I'll take cds anytime, Not to mention the Hi-Rez and multi-channel possibilities of the dics formats. Now, let's put some great music on (either vinyl or disc) and party.....:smokin

I started seriously collecting music around 1967. I bought a Teac 3340s in 1972 and from that point on, the first thing I would do when I bought a new album was to transfer it to my R-R. That seemed to be the only way to listen multiple times and not have eventual degradation. Plus, so many albums right out of the sleeve would have tics and pops.
Anyway, I hope cds never disappear.
Every vinyl album has static electricity caused by removal from sleeve. One can have the finest equipment, yet there is still wear on the LP from each play. It is a physical medium after all.
And the compression in the inner grooves was always most annoying to me. When I replaced my albums with cds, I heard such a difference with those tunes that had unfortunately been inner grooves.
I know cds are not perfect, especially when it comes to reproducing strings, but a properly mastered cd sounds damn good and will not deteriorate over time.
Those who are into vinyl, I say more power to them, but for myself, I'll take cds anytime, Not to mention the Hi-Rez and multi-channel possibilities of the dics formats. Now, let's put some great music on (either vinyl or disc) and party.....:smokin

Just a few years behind you Mike. What I wouldn't give to have the ears of a 20 year old again with the music collection I have now. I used to do the same thing with my vinyl except I didn't have the reel but I did have a pretty good cassette recorder.

Back