Their Satanic Majesties Request, 50th Anniversary Special Edition (Stereo SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking very forward for my copy to arrive today or Monday. I feel the same as others with major disappointment without a release in surround. However, as we all have our special moments in time, I would play this record over and over in 1968/69 because I wanted to smoke weed and be with my friends but my parents wouldn't let me out past 9:30. This release with updated packaging and a hybrid SACD mono is going to be great.
I have the SHM SACD stereo, the mono box set in SHM CD and the mono box set in download in 24/192. My added feelings of my youth, the hard disc in mono and the packaging with liner notes makes this a no brainer for me. I'll report back with what I am sure will be a stellar listen.
Would really like to hear your opinion on the mono mix compared to the stereo mix.

Well I put this on pre-order when it came available but hoped it would drop in price, it did no so without surround I decided to cancel, if the SACD in stereo is ever released standalone (doubtful) I will get it but at this price level I won't bite. Besides I have plenty of other pre-orders coming.

Their Satanic Majesties Request, 50th Anniversary Special Edition by The Rolling Stones is also available as a Stereo DSD64 Download from Acoustic Sounds/Super Hi Rez and HDTracks for $36.98 (before sale discounts) - a price far below the full SACD + LP package ($89.98).

That's the edition I'm considering.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...es_Request-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

Well hotdamn CDJapan "Their Satanic Majesties Request [Japanese Original Ver.] (50th Anniversary Special Edition) [Limited Release]" (2 disc SACD only! Stereo/Mono)

"The Rolling Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" is reissued in Hybrid SACD format, commemorating the 50th anniversary of its release. This is a Japanese original edition. Features the latest remastering (2017 stereo / 2016 mono) by Bob Ludwig. Packed in a special 7-inch-sized folded cover artwork, featuring 3D lenticular printing. An obi faithfully replicates the one coming with the Japan first pressing LP. Includes two bonus cover artworks, each replicates Japan first pressing single ("She's A Rainbow," "The Lantern"). Comes with a 20-page color booklet, lyrics, and a description written in Japanese."

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-9707

I listened to both the stereo and the mono last night. For me, being that this is my favorite Stones album it is hard for me to be bias. I listened to both the SACD mono and stereo at 65db, I listened to the stereo first and then mono. I broke them down into what would be side 1 and then listened again, stereo/mono what would be side 2. The stereo version 2017 remaster is flawless and betters my SHM SACD from a few years ago. Super punch, can hear everything, wide sound stage filling all the way to right and left wall.
The mono disc I felt was a little subdued like it didn't have the same big punch. but still great. As a disclaimer I always seem to have a hard time with mono as my brain is trained for stereo and I have to close my eyes, otherwise if I look at the speakers in front of me my brain wants to hear stereo.
Packaging is fantastic, big bummer on the lenticular front as it is muddy and you cannot see The Beatles faces. I wonder if the full LP version came out better?
Very glad I purchased this two disc set from CDJapan.

I listened to both the stereo and the mono last night. For me, being that this is my favorite Stones album it is hard for me to be bias. I listened to both the SACD mono and stereo at 65db, I listened to the stereo first and then mono. I broke them down into what would be side 1 and then listened again, stereo/mono what would be side 2. The stereo version 2017 remaster is flawless and betters my SHM SACD from a few years ago. Super punch, can hear everything, wide sound stage filling all the way to right and left wall.
The mono disc I felt was a little subdued like it didn't have the same big punch. but still great. As a disclaimer I always seem to have a hard time with mono as my brain is trained for stereo and I have to close my eyes, otherwise if I look at the speakers in front of me my brain wants to hear stereo.
Packaging is fantastic, big bummer on the lenticular front as it is muddy and you cannot see The Beatles faces. I wonder if the full LP version came out better?
Very glad I purchased this two disc set from CDJapan.

Markie, I wonder if the Stereo SACD is the same remastering they utilized for the SHM~SACD [now available from Music Direct for $30]. I really don't need the MONO SACD [overkill?]: https://www.musicdirect.com/optical...d-edition-japanese-import-shm-sacd-cjpshm7494

Back