[YouTube] This guy could have used our help here at QQ - hopefully he drops by

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That video was a follow up to this video

He is aware of us, there's a screenshot of the forum at 2:20.

I briefly had the same model of Panasonic quad receiver that he picked up for the above video. It sucks, awful sounding receiver. Looks cool, though.

Too bad he didn't know about the Audio Fidelity SACD of Muscle of Love to add to the comparison. He's not followed up on any of the comments I've left him updating him on some of these things, so he seems to be done with surround/quad and onto the next thing, early PDAs.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for techmoan to do a video devoted to quad, or a quad format.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan

Techmoan is great! i'm surprised he hasn't done a video on Quad already..

I am right there with you MCDave. I prefer SACD because once you set the player to play the multi-channel layer by default, all you have to do is put the disc in and away you go. My systems always caused an interrupt in the playback when I shut the television off after navigating the menu of a DVD-A or BD-A. But also being right there with you, I'll take a multi-channel release in any modern format!

just a side note on this guys , I play DVD -A in my car all the time and I never use my screen. You just push enter Twice and it goes right to the play all 5.1 stream. (enter,enter).

Short answer is, because loud and compressed music sounds better on playback systems consisting of cheap earbuds and tiny amps built into smartphones.

Longer answer...millennials are now the largest demographic in the U.S., and by far the biggest purchasers of music. Furthermore, file downloads and streaming together make up about 90% (my estimation) of all music purchases today. And how are the majority of millennials listening to music? On smartphones or portable players, with crappy earbuds and wimpy onboard amps. These things have very little capability as far as dynamic range, which means if you listen to something with a wide dynamic range on them, you're constantly fiddling with the volume control, as soft sounds disappear beneath the noise floor and loud sounds distort badly. Add to this the problem that music is usually consumed on the go, in noisy environments, with earbuds that do little to block it. Under these circumstances, music that is severely compressed and made louder just works better. Same goes for music in a car, though to a lesser extent because car stereos have better dynamic capability. Ever try to listen to a classical symphony while driving around town? You have to keep adjusting the volume control as it fluctuates from too soft to too loud.

For the rest of us who listen to music on proper playback systems, this sucks. You could wonder why they don't make CDs with normal dynamic range like they used to for people with home-based playback systems, while compressing and "loudening" the files and streamed music for iPhones. The answer is probably because it costs more money to make multiple masters, and streaming appears to be the future of music delivery.

Audiophiles like us are a dying breed, and a niche market. Very little music is being mixed and mastered for us anymore. Companies follow the profits, and apparently the major profits are in loud, compressed cloud-based music.
I work with audio files all the time, and it takes exactly 30 seconds to compress a file. It takes maybe 5 seconds to save an uncompressed copy first. So I don't buy the expense thing. It would be practically free to make one master for streaming and another for CD. Are you sure the reason they do this isn't so they can sell you a MFSL copy of that album you've already bought four times? I'm not.

I work with audio files all the time, and it takes exactly 30 seconds to compress a file. It takes maybe 5 seconds to save an uncompressed copy first. So I don't buy the expense thing. It would be practically free to make one master for streaming and another for CD. Are you sure the reason they do this isn't so they can sell you a MFSL copy of that album you've already bought four times? I'm not.

Okay, why don't you research the issue and report back on the real reason then.

I think I did that. Planned obsolescence. I don't see the need for the condescension. Aren't we each entitled to reach a conclusion?

BTW, you didn't answer the question.

The only way this would work is if enough listeners notice the quality issues and a significant subset care enough to re-buy. I question the likelihood of the former and flat-out disbelieve the latter. The audio degradation is no doubt intentional but I don't credit Them with the ability to think ahead that far when it comes to looking for profit.

Like giving away the "crown jewels" as described here. It is interesting reading that discusses the downfalls of MQA and how it is really a disguised DRM system that was created to avoid giving away Hi Res audio.
Yes, when the industry started bricking CDs, I don't think they foresaw all of this.

And, ironically, AmazonUS [among others] are literally blowing out hi res titles [like the Doors, XTC, Yes [DVD~A], etc] for under $16 each......in the case of the Doors Greatest Hits BD~A 4.0 $12.99. On occasion, Deep Discount has been blowing out hi res boxsets [like their recent sale on Tull's Aqualung w/ BD~A] for under $30.

Hope he does become a QQ member and we can all enlighten him about the latest deals/sales.

Wish there were more Jazz/World titles in hi~res surround on physical disc!

He did a fantastic professional video and he could actually buy a Universal SONY X800 UHD 4K player, BRAND NEW, for way under the list price of $300 although I would concur an OPPO UHD 203 would be a better choice.

BTW, Brother Snood, besides being an astute moderator [who pressy (y)LIKEY on EVERYTHING:SB] you're also an excellent PR man for QQ and are truly worth your weight in RUM [RED RUM, RED RUM] https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...2E3754BECA4203E706692E3754BECA4203E&FORM=VIRE

Hi All,

Am new here too (and am not the video guy), any help on buying some quad / 5.1 mixes would be great, looking to add to the 75 M-C discs i have. Do you have a link to the Doors disc - is it the audio fiedlity sacd or is this it https://www.amazon.com/Singles-2CD-...&qid=1524189489&sr=1-5&keywords=doors+blu+ray
(am also looking for the aqualung disc too).

Hi All,

Am new here too (and am not the video guy), any help on buying some quad / 5.1 mixes would be great, looking to add to the 75 M-C discs i have. Do you have a link to the Doors disc - is it the audio fiedlity sacd or is this it https://www.amazon.com/Singles-2CD-...&qid=1524189489&sr=1-5&keywords=doors+blu+ray
(am also looking for the aqualung disc too).

Heya Vaaaaaaaaan1 - Awesome and welcome to the QQ club - glad ya caught the surround bug :SB and yes that is the one - make sure ya select the bluray version - if ya look at the back you will see the 3 discs listed 2 cds and a Bluray. It is an Awesome disc and super cheeeeeeeeeap :SG

Heya Vaaaaaaaaan1 - Awesome and welcome to the QQ club - glad ya caught the surround bug :SB and yes that is the one - make sure ya select the bluray version - if ya look at the back you will see the 3 discs listed 2 cds and a Bluray. It is an Awesome disc and super cheeeeeeeeeap :SG
Thanks, will go hunting, is there a recommendations or bargain section here?

[VIDEO]

Video is only 3 weeks old

I left him a message in the responses mentioning QQ forums and also went to his Facebook page and dropped him some information about us. Man we could have saved him a lot of hassle - seems he loves multichannel, but seems to think it is kind of a hassle. He also thinks that Pink FLoyd DSOTM and NIN Downward Spiral are one of the only few popular and affordable titles on SACD.

He showed some pics of prices on Aerosmith ,Bowie and Meatloaf SACDs and how expensive they are....

I dropped him a note on some popular artists on SACD that are still very affordable along with bluray, dvd-a etc

How weird is this? I saw this yesterday on the tube. I agree he should have saved himself a few bucks by not buying crummy players. He did not mention much about his amp. I left our link.

Huge and grateful thanks to Snood and 4-earredwonder for support, encouragement and sharing bargains.

Enjoying my sunday morning listening to quad and patiently waiting for my doors to arrive from the UK (about A$25). I'll get back to you guys if i need any windows too :)

Back