this one's for you

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
hi

Each Monday night I get to play just about anything I want - the only catch - it needs to be an LP that was released.
as a result, I've been focusing on matrix quad - as at least there is some surround effect retained through stereo
playback, and the exact mixes are only out on those LPs - so far, I've been picking the play lists - but I'd like to open it
up to this forum - what SQ, SQ, EV4 or RM LP would you like people to hear?

Based upon previous posts, what I'm going to do with CD-4 is encode them for QS - what I think I'll do with those
is play one CD-4 and one Matrix per show. Considering the number of people who are actually listening (which
is both gratifying, and just a little surprising) - I'm being given a lot of latitude.

So have at it - if you want me to shout out if I use your suggestion, I certainly can, if there is a reason
beyond "it's a favorite" you'd like me to tell my listeners about - just say the word.

This coming Monday I'm thinking of Chicago II - my reasons;
great album, great quad mix, extra drum and guitar tracks, wrong vocals, and - it broke the mold. By that
I mean, Columbia (an outfit that never wanted to offer Rock and Roll - or Stereo for that matter) would
compress the dynamic range so badly on their LPs, that watching meters during playback was almost
funny. The story was; they did this so that the records could be played much louder and, after all, AM
radio would compress the life out of them anyway.

When they remixed and re mastered Chicago II - the compression was off, and they actually brought
the recording up to the level of "High Fidelity".

you get the idea

so - what would you like me to play (BTW, I will get around to This Ones's For You - but it is a tough one)

Thanks

hi

Each Monday night I get to play just about anything I want - the only catch - it needs to be an LP that was released.
as a result, I've been focusing on matrix quad - as at least there is some surround effect retained through stereo
playback, and the exact mixes are only out on those LPs - so far, I've been picking the play lists - but I'd like to open it
up to this forum - what SQ, SQ, EV4 or RM LP would you like people to hear?

Based upon previous posts, what I'm going to do with CD-4 is encode them for QS - what I think I'll do with those
is play one CD-4 and one Matrix per show. Considering the number of people who are actually listening (which
is both gratifying, and just a little surprising) - I'm being given a lot of latitude.

So have at it - if you want me to shout out if I use your suggestion, I certainly can, if there is a reason
beyond "it's a favorite" you'd like me to tell my listeners about - just say the word.

This coming Monday I'm thinking of Chicago II - my reasons;
great album, great quad mix, extra drum and guitar tracks, wrong vocals, and - it broke the mold. By that
I mean, Columbia (an outfit that never wanted to offer Rock and Roll - or Stereo for that matter) would
compress the dynamic range so badly on their LPs, that watching meters during playback was almost
funny. The story was; they did this so that the records could be played much louder and, after all, AM
radio would compress the life out of them anyway.

When they remixed and re mastered Chicago II - the compression was off, and they actually brought
the recording up to the level of "High Fidelity".

you get the idea

so - what would you like me to play (BTW, I will get around to This Ones's For You - but it is a tough one)

Thanks

Bill, fredblue is starting a thread trying to expose FAKE QUAD remixes from the 70's that either utilized double stereo, echo in the rear or were 'polite' QUAD remixes. Since you're adept and obviously have the equipment/software to seek out those phony QUAD discs, do you have any that deserve to be listed in the QUAD HALL of SHAME https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/quad-mix-hall-of-shame-a-list-of-fake-and-or-very-conservative-quad-mixes.25164/page-2#post-379477

I'd have to give it some thought. I wondered if Carole King's tapestry fits this mold, or if they just mixed it poorly. Certainly the Capitol collector series is kind of a waste.

I'd have to give it some thought. I wondered if Carole King's tapestry fits this mold, or if they just mixed it poorly. Certainly the Capitol collector series is kind of a waste.

In the newly remastered Japanese QUAD SACD of Tapestry [in the 7" packaging] there are some subtle discrete elements in the rears, just not that crazy discrete hit you over the head type that some of those 70's QUAD mixes were known for.

Back