DVD/DTS Poll Thomas, Ray - FROM MIGHTY OAKS [DD DVD+3CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD Disc of Ray Thomas - FROM MIGHTY OAKS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters
I listened to From Mighty Oaks in 5.1 the other evening along with ISOTLC (faked 7.1 of course) in memory of Ray. I really like this solo effort from Ray. He has a great baritone voice and the songs are all good without what I would call filler. The surround sound mix is good although not earth shattering...and thankfully not gimmicky like some quads of the era. I knocked it down a notch from a 9 to an 8 because of the Dolby fidelity. However, I will admit that just a little bit of EQ is helpful in dealing with the typical Dolby 5.1 "graininess;" enough to make it quite an enjoyable listen.

As of yet I have not listened to the second album that comes with the set.

RIP Ray. Glad that you lived long enough to hear that The Moody Blues are being inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame. The induction show will seem a bit empty without you.

I revisited this one today, and back in the day I really did enjoy this album. I was making a version for the car, and I don't know how I missed it way back when it came out, but the rears are WAY TO LOW!!

Here is "Love is the Key" as is:

Love is the Key Ray Thomas DVD.jpg

I messed around with different levels, and found that upping the rears by 6.5 db works well for me. Here's what it looks like. It sounds INCREDIBLY BETTER and really quad.

Love is the Key Ray Thomas DVD 2.jpg

And as I have posted earlier, you can just nuke the center and sub if you like.

Addendum. Not all tracks work well with 6.5db. The first couple only need about 4 db.
You have to do them one by one and tune them to your ear, I'm afraid. But if you like this album, it's worth futzing with the rear levels.

Back