DVD/DTS Poll Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee [DTS CD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTSCD of Toy Matinee - TOY MATINEE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Bought this disc on the bay for $9.99 sealed. I had never heard of Toy Matinee before and all I can say is WOW... Easily one of my favorite discs...If only I could find more "dated" music... An easy 10 for the quality of the recording and 10 for the music.

DVD-A Mix is a 10 very good use of surround all around I dont know if its a diferent mix on the DTS disc.

Music is quite dated though give that a seven.

overall presentation is a solid 8 (disc menus play options etc..)

total 25/30 so i suppose thats an 8 overall.
Let me get this straight, you deducted 2 points because the music is dated--on a website devoted in major part to quad of the 70s where people talk about the doobie bros as if captain and me just came out last year and they haven't broken up and reformed 10 times. that type of criticism doesn't really make sense here. Besides, if you go back to when this album was created it sound ahead of the time in which it was made. If this is dated, then give me more dated, please!!!.

A 10 all the way.

I can clarify :
1) I brought this album blind based on the reviews on varios web site i thought I would give it a go.
2) Dated in this case is that horrible 80s sound. I did not like it then i still dont like it now.
I could enjoy this album more if it did not have that dated (nearly 30 year old) sound. Possibly a poor choice of words on my part but an expression of feeling none the less.

Hello, I gave this a high mark, also, mostly due to the mix and the sound quality. Whilst I agree the songs are a bit dated (but no more than my earlier dated titles!), it is generally a great listen, IMO. The title track is absolute demo quality and is worth buying for that alone. Thanks.

I can clarify :
1) I brought this album blind based on the reviews on varios web site i thought I would give it a go.
2) Dated in this case is that horrible 80s sound. I did not like it then i still dont like it now.
I could enjoy this album more if it did not have that dated (nearly 30 year old) sound. Possibly a poor choice of words on my part but an expression of feeling none the less.

probably the difference is I like 80s music, but actually, I thought it sounded at least 3-4 years ahead of its' time. Of course you're entitled to your opinion (didn't mean to sound like a prick ;))

Can anybody please confirm whether mix used DTS 5.1 CD & DVD-A are exactly same?

Just voted on this.
I've had the DTS DVD-A disc since around 2006, the cd 2001 remaster and the original disc when it was released in 1990.
I first heard "Last Plane Out" on the radio back in the day and decided that I had to have this album regardless of the other tracks.
While playing the rest of the album, I was surprised by how good the music was (is) and how a few of the tracks had a Steely Dan sound (JMO).
I don't know why people think this record sounds like 80's music, far from it.
If anything, sounds rather retro 70's, bands similar to Steely Dan.
A perfect score (10).
Again, JMO.

I don't think folks are referring to the 80's for its song writing content or mix of instruments...more so for its production values. A hard thing to explain, but listen to clips from 10 1970-75 records and then 10 from 1982-1990 or so, and you'll generally notice a diifference....help me out here you studio types..."slickness" (anything hinting at a musical error being edited out), less bottom end, compression, "sameness" as everyone adopted the same techniques. That's just my imprecise description of 80's production, but I'll add that I gave this disc high marks.(y) John S.

Love this album, thrilled to have DTS then DVD-A. CD was my demo disc selling gear.

Watch for Kevin Gilbert - The Shaming Of The True live DVD recorded in Los Angeles in June 2012. All musicians played with KG at some point.

A good sounding disc with terrific 5.1 mix. The material is very solid but not quite A-list for me overall. I prefer Kevin Gilbert's solo work, particularly the brilliant "Thud" and the posthumously-released "Shaming of the True". Nonetheless, this a very enjoyable disc with some very clever songs and arrangements. 8

I didn't realise there was a DTS CD of this one (I presume it came earlier than the DVD-Audio?)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 235
Back