UK "Night After Night" CD/Blu-Ray set (with Bob Clearmountain 5.1 mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe for once the words "limited" are actually true...now if you really want a copy...I know a place...just saying...but it's not going to be as cheap as the primary outlets...it's going to take $35.98 which includes shipping...and if you are "lucky" enough to live in Bruce's State(New Jersey)..you will have to pay tax.....So if anyone want's to know...just say so on this thread and I'll divulge the source....I personally wasn't interested in this title...UNTIL I realized it was a Clearmountain mix...so I saw the error of my ways and just ordered one....they claim it's in stock...but I've never dealt with these people....I wonder if they are "connected"....oh well...I've already ordered...so if anyone else wants to jump in the deep end of the pool with me...just say so on this thread:unsure:o_O:ROFLMAO::dance

I just talked to them on the phone...and I ordered the right version and they do have it in stock....

I just talked to them on the phone...and I ordered the right version and they do have it in stock....
'Limited' shouldn't apply to a release one week after its release. Appreciate the tip, but I'm not going to succumb to this potential money-grab situation. Ordered mine on backorder at a nice price. I can wait.

'Limited' shouldn't apply to a release one week after its release. Appreciate the tip, but I'm not going to succumb to this potential money-grab situation. Ordered mine on backorder at a nice price. I can wait.

I understand completely...and it looks like it's not that popular because nobody has inquired about the source I offered in my post....I would imagine that the bulk of the sales will be in the UK...not the US...the reason that the supplies are limited is that these copies might just be leftovers from the big box set that was offered in 2015..

I just logged into zealots lounge (Eddie Jobson's website) and it is a self-release.

I'll say that this mix very likely got singed a bit in mastering. Probably just because it was a surround mix it didn't get pummeled like the stereo content in this set. (Maybe we got lucky that someone maybe treated it as a novelty with regards to that?) No deal breakers there. This is the real deal and a good mix. It's just still the weakest recording this band ever released. And again, everything else in this set is volume war destroyed low budget hash. You'll listen to this once or twice and then go back to the radio shows and boots from 1978. (That you already had in better quality than the copies in this set.)

er...allow me to offer a somewhat alternate opinion.

The Ultimate set is worth it if only for the amazing "pre-vocals" version of the first UK album included as a bonus. It sounds fantastic, and is absolutely revelatory as music, with some quite different mixes and previously unheard parts and solos. The Bruford/Wetton rhythm section is a monster and sounds much more raw and live than on the final mix.

The 'Abbey Road' remaster of the first UK sounds OK, I would not say it's ruined by compression; it's not brickwalled. I would guess it has been re-EQed too. It's a case of compare and decide, not automatic rejection (I have at least 3 different masterings in my collection). It's certainly different from the standard version in one way : reverb has been added to the famous dry intro of 'In the Dead of Night'. Why? Ask Jobson.

Never been a big fan of Danger Money, so I'll pass on passing judgement. The live versions from broadcast UK Mark I concerts were always more interesting to me.

Speaking of those broadcast concerts: in this set they sound like garbage. EJ ruined them, which is a damn shame if he really had access to the master tapes (it's not clear that he did). There are vastly better versions available in circulation. Seek those out.

I found the NAN surround mix disappointing; for example, on the original stereo mix, the Hammond solo on 'Night After Night' leaps out of the mix thrillingly. In the surround mix, nah. I listened once and haven't since. Maybe revisit in a a year or three.

Why the hell is this title so damn difficult to obtain from any of the normal outlets which either reflect a protracted delivery date or that it's on backorder. It was just released, wasn't it!!!!?????

I know how you feel; my copy of Night After Night got delayed too. Maybe it's something about the way that Eddie Jobson's Globe Media label does business (fans also had trouble getting their Ultimate U.K. Box Set when it came out a few years ago). Oh well, I can wait.

So, he's not really offering "upgrades" for free; there's still a revenue stream associated with those downloads. It's just that they aren't individually monetized. Still, it's a nice thing to do.
That's what it looks like, as I ordered the Box Set via the zealots lounge I can log in, but I don't get access to anything other than the News pages.

Any thoughts on this one yet?

I started to listen the other day but I got sidetracked.....just from the very brief segment...the fidelity was good..but it was more like background music for me as I was involved online.....but any surround evaluation will have to come later....I have to warn you that I have never heard this band before so I have no real feel for them

Lucked out and found this at a local retailer today. I went there thinking there's no way, but was pleasantly surprised. This is my first exposure to the band and I'm digging it. When Night After Night started, I wondered if I was listening to Zappa (not surprising I guess considering the lineup), but it rapidly changes direction.

The 5.1 is really good compared to other live shows I've heard. It has some nice rear speaker activity, i.e., not just shouting and clapping.

Back