"Unlikely return of Quadraphonic vinyl" -- article

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t wait until the next great format after quad vinyl. Get ready for the return of the DVD-A!

In the mean time I’m going to invest in atomic clocked turntables with laser (contactless) cartridges and unobtainium analog cables. :smokin

an INVOLVE DECODER???? Well, that's not new news...at least for us,,,BTW, did not know Quad Bob lived in Osaka!!!

Well, I certainly won't be one of those 200 "lucky" people purchasing the Suzanne Ciani LIVE QUAD 45 rpm LPs with an Involve Surround Master included but it would be nice if the Ciani LPs would also be released in a Digital Surround format since Ciani made a number of very quality new~agey recordings for the Windham Hill Label none of which were ever released in surround.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...8EDC5B7ED597EE6DCA138EDC5B7ED597&&FORM=VDRVRV

Last edited:
Though I do enjoy quad vinyl from a collecting perspective, it seems kind of ridiculous to issue a new surround mix in a matrix format.

I think that in addition to the limited run vinyl, they should look at issuing the discrete mix on DVD-A, Blu-Ray, or whatever format suits them.

Still a fun read though...thanks for posting.

Very interesting....if they sell 200 that's a 200 unit Involve order for our Aussie buds, and a Buchla synsth recording at that. QBob- Osaka, beyond the reach of US jurisprudence, brilliant!
Funny though, Mr. Kamran could have just done a google and found QQ, instead he finds Quad Bob! Oh my....

Don't forget they're also creating the software plug-in to encourage more people to create in quad. Although the idea behind initially working with moogfest and KamranV isn't to necessarily promote the format as much as promote an idea - those people get together and just futz with technology because they can, for the love of art and the love of creation. Getting some hardware and encoding software into the hands of a few hundred nutters who love the medium is worth doing imho.

I think releasing her album in discreet might undermine that purpose to a degree. Plus it's a live album, so it really is a high-level concept to match the release concept. I've listened to it, it's synthesized sound-scape, amazingly surround, It's not traditionally melodious but it is fun and engaging (to my ears anyway)

The unit we're supplying is a modified version of the dev kit board rather than a fully cased surround master, so it really is aimed at the tech-head enthusiast who loves to tinker, which is what this entire group of people are about, and I love it.
I mean, even David Byrne was releasing quad material in the late 90's when he remixed Talking Heads material - he just didn't really promote the fact. It's still around.

Oh, and for what it's worth, we're talking / discussing quad with other artists as well. Also open to suggestion if you think any particular artist should do something like this for quad's sake.

Yours, in a white wine sauce,
~D

So then, why NOT revive QUAD Open Reel Tape.........15 ips on custom Aluminum Reels with embossed titles on the reels retailing @ $800 each? At least there wouldn't be any matrix/turntable/cartridge decoding issues....it would be the REAL DEAL and on OPEN REEL! And none of those pesky ticks and pops!

And realistically, how many titles would be available on either/or the new SQ Matrix custom pressed LPs @ 45 rpm/QUAD Open Reels to make these ventures worthwhile?

The past IS past.....let sleeping dogs lie!

Last edited:
I mean, even David Byrne was releasing quad material in the late 90's when he remixed Talking Heads material - he just didn't really promote the fact.

Wait...what? Is there some interesting stuff out there in the underground or do you just mean some of the content on the official DVD-As is quad?

Wait...what? Is there some interesting stuff out there in the underground or do you just mean some of the content on the official DVD-As is quad?

Not so much - it was the third remix album of theirs - while most stereo mixes have some surround / ambient component to some degree, decoding this album with the Involve decode - there's no way there wasn't at least some deliberate attempt to create surround content. AFAIK there wasn't a discreet mix. I can't talk to the two previous remix albums but I might go ahead and try to obtain them. They didn't review well so they're a little harder to find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12x12_Original_Remixes

[QUOTE="4-earredwonder, post: 369577, member: 7670"
The past IS past.....let sleeping dogs lie![/QUOTE]

If we'd done that, the future Involve would never have happened, so you'll excuse me if I politely disagree :p

Anyway, a great deal of future technology comes from looking to the past. Electrostatic speaker technology was developed in the 1920s/30s, but it wasn't really utilized until the late 50s / early 60s and even then it took many years to get it really right.

Not so much - it was the third remix album of theirs - while most stereo mixes have some surround / ambient component to some degree, decoding this album with the Involve decode - there's no way there wasn't at least some deliberate attempt to create surround content. AFAIK there wasn't a discreet mix. I can't talk to the two previous remix albums but I might go ahead and try to obtain them. They didn't review well so they're a little harder to find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12x12_Original_Remixes

You're confusing the heck out of me: You mentioned Talking Heads and David Byrne, but the link is to a Talk Talk remix album...but there's a Talking Heads remix album in that same 12x12 series (I have both). My brain hurts!

As for Talk Talk, I think the biggest complaint with one of the remix albums is that the band wasn't consulted at all. EMI just hired remixers and released it without anyone's consent. It's now out of print but (last I checked, anyway) doesn't fetch much on the used market, which probably tells you a lot right there.

I have some of the original 12" Talk Talk vinyl, some day I should compare what it does vs. the CD versions to see if they really did make changes.

You're confusing the heck out of me: You mentioned Talking Heads and David Byrne, but the link is to a Talk Talk remix album...but there's a Talking Heads remix album in that same 12x12 series (I have both). My brain hurts!

As for Talk Talk, I think the biggest complaint with one of the remix albums is that the band wasn't consulted at all. EMI just hired remixers and released it without anyone's consent. It's now out of print but (last I checked, anyway) doesn't fetch much on the used market, which probably tells you a lot right there.

I have some of the original 12" Talk Talk vinyl, some day I should compare what it does vs. the CD versions to see if they really did make changes.

Apologies - I did mean the Talking Heads 12x12 but it doesn't have its own Wiki page.

Back