"Unlikely return of Quadraphonic vinyl" -- article

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QS encoded would be a good possibility. Depending on his level of involvement, "good old" Quad Bob was a big Sansui fan. And from what I've read on here in the past, the QS matrix itself was royalty free, but using the name, and especially logo were not, which was why a lot of companies went around that by calling it RM, or Vari-Matrix in the case of Marantz, and some of the record labels that used QS encoding never declared on the LP or sleeve what system it was, just simply "matrix encoded stereo compatable".

And correct me if I'm wrong Overture, but I thought I remember Chucky mentioning that an aspect of the Surround Master was based off of QS, maybe the starting point for TSS (Having a hard time finding the original two threads in the new forum layout. I remember that they earned their own sub-threads)?

Hi

Yes QS is a great solution with the only negative being a contracted stereo image for those losers who insist on listening in stereo. It is for this reason we developed "Involve " format encode (yes you can buy a cheap evaluation board with a full version). It is the first variable matrix 3 band encode system that actively adjusts the matrix parameters to suit the music content ......so that at all time the stereo sounds like stereo and the quad sounds like quad. Only issue is conventional test do not produce 40 db separation numbers but on real music the perception is 40 db. - Long story.

Fortunately Involve decode is 100% compatible with both.

Regards

Chucky

QS encoded would be a good possibility. Depending on his level of involvement, "good old" Quad Bob was a big Sansui fan. And from what I've read on here in the past, the QS matrix itself was royalty free, but using the name, and especially logo were not, which was why a lot of companies went around that by calling it RM, or Vari-Matrix in the case of Marantz, and some of the record labels that used QS encoding never declared on the LP or sleeve what system it was, just simply "matrix encoded stereo compatable".

And correct me if I'm wrong Overture, but I thought I remember Chucky mentioning that an aspect of the Surround Master was based off of QS, maybe the starting point for TSS (Having a hard time finding the original two threads in the new forum layout. I remember that they earned their own sub-threads)?

Ok so the answer to the previous release question is.....YES - the album will be made available on all digital platforms next month, and the hardware and vinyl set will be released once it's ready.

Overture just set it straight on this thread too:

Involve encoding confirmed

Does that make it the first recording using your Involve Studio Encoder?

edit: There's the man himself, while I was typing!

Ahoy! Also for the record, in this new age of gender fluidity and non-binary, I've decided I identify as a pirate.

Anyway, yes - it will be the first recording released in our encode. So the limited nature of the physical run is both a good thing and a bad thing in some ways, but at least it will be available through other media.

Cheers
~David (Captain)

"Ahoy! Also for the record, in this new age of gender fluidity and non-binary, I've decided I identify as a pirate."

Must make it easy when looking for a bathroom, as a pirate you can simply take any bathroom you want! Although, I'd be a bit hesitant about passing through a door that has a sign with a figure holding a cutlass... "men's room, women's room, get rolled (mugged) by a pirate room..."

I just have to ask.

Do you lads intend on "Encoding " in quad other music releases ? That includes current or older titles . Anything else in the near future ? (or in the pipeline so to speak )

Quad Encoding can be a lot of fun , or so I've experienced . Some older rock, prog, etc genre titles most needed I think anyways.
Even if it's just a good enhancing of a 2ch source, provided the artist is popular , or needs a quad reissue to perk up their musical art.

Anyways , perhaps someone can elaborate.

And congratulations on your first encode.

I just have to ask.

Do you lads intend on "Encoding " in quad other music releases ? That includes current or older titles . Anything else in the near future ? (or in the pipeline so to speak )

Quad Encoding can be a lot of fun , or so I've experienced . Some older rock, prog, etc genre titles most needed I think anyways.
Even if it's just a good enhancing of a 2ch source, provided the artist is popular , or needs a quad reissue to perk up their musical art.

Anyways , perhaps someone can elaborate.

And congratulations on your first encode.

Thank you :)

As it stands we don't have any plans to encode pre-existing surround material - there is at least one other band whose material is being worked with to see if it will work well as a quad release. It would / will be a re-mastering / production process however, there isn't a surround mix yet. More to come.

Speaking of unlikely returns of things.....

https://entertainment.slashdot.org/...s-returning-to-sale-for-first-time-in-decades

Having said that----I would love to and we are available!!

Regards

Chucky

Thank you :)

As it stands we don't have any plans to encode pre-existing surround material - there is at least one other band whose material is being worked with to see if it will work well as a quad release. It would / will be a re-mastering / production process however, there isn't a surround mix yet. More to come.

Speaking of unlikely returns of things.....

https://entertainment.slashdot.org/...s-returning-to-sale-for-first-time-in-decades

Back