Unlocking SRS in M-Audio Delta Series Cards?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Key

I know this is possible but you have to know C+ to do it. There are some instructions on how to do it in the software developement kit that you can download from http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.sdk
but it's all chinese to me.

Maybe I should find a better forum to post this. But is this any different then the "virtual 6.1" , "virtual 7.1", and "Sub Mode (LFE+Main)" in the bass managment tab on the Delta control pannel.

In the developement docs it lists
SRS TruSurround C.
SRS TruSurround L/R.
SRS TruSurround L/R/Cs.
SRS TruSurround L/R/Ls/Rs.
SRS TruSurround L/C/R.
SRS TruSurround L/C/R/Cs.
SRS TruSurround L/C/R/Ls/Rs.
SRS TruSurround L/C/R/Ls/Cs/Rs.
SRS TruSurround L/C/R/Ls/Rs (PLII decoded).
SRS TruSurround CSII decoded material.
SRS CircleSurround CSII encoded material. (cinema mode)
SRS CircleSurround stereo material. (music mode)
SRS CircleSurround mono material.

Ok all that aside. My thing is I want to be able to reference (in real time) my stereo mixes on as many matrices as possible. So it would cool if I didn't have to buy a whole new card to reference for CSII.

Anyone know of anyone one developeing real time CSII, DPLII, SQ, QS etc.. decoder plug ins - that will work with ASIO?

I think if someone was good enough at code and really wanted to, they could just do it within the software for there soundcard. I guess anything with logic would be a pain to implement though.

Last edited:
THere is now a VST Plugin version of SurCode's Dolby ProLogic II encoder/decoder.
To my ears, it sounds a whole lot better than the SRS plugin I bought. The SRS seems to raise the level of the rears far too much in decoding.

As far as developing goes, the biggest impediment is that it is ALL licensed technology. Even SQ/QS.

yeah i ran across another thread while running a search where you said as much. I'll have to look into SurCode. How does it actually decode? Do you have to set you project to stereo or 5.1? I guess I'll be using Acid, since thats the only thing I've installed since recently reinstalling XP.

"Even SQ/QS"

Yeah I figured they'd sit on it. Although it seems the trademark for SQ has been abandoned/expired - have a link somewhere but can't seem to find it. Not that it would help with licensing agreements.

Just curious. Do you have to get an agreement to release something in a matrix format? I'm not planning on indicateing a specific matrix - instead putting something like Stereo Quadraphonic if I do indicate at all. Similar to "illadelph halflife" by THE ROOTS - which says "In Around Sound" on the cover.

anyway, will look into the DPLII decoder and I guess My Sansui and Lafayette will have to do for my SQ/QS needs. Eventually I'll get around to contacting Quad Bob about something better and with a smaller footprint.

*edit I contacted someone listed i the docs but he basically told me to learn C+ :) . Neil, isn't CSII 6.1? or 7.1? If you are listening in 5.1 could the decoder possibly be summing the back signals giving you that 3dB boost?

Last edited:
SRS Circle Surround can be in 6.1, but it's not forced. It's like DTS-ES in that respect, and can be in either mode.
There shoukldn't be any summing going on - it looks & behaves like a decoder bug to me.
The SurCode DPL II Encoder/decoder has both functions in one interface.
To decode a stereo matrix (Or even attempt a decode from 2.0 to 5.1) simply insert the plugin in a 5.1 bus, and feed it wirth the stereo track.
Make sure it's in decode mode, set to desired operation (Music, Movie, etc) and if in music, tweak the panorama & width parameters until you get the sound you are after.

To release in the matrix format no agreement is necessary unless you want to use the DPL II logo on the packaging.
At this point you would need a TMA with dolby Labs. It's free, and you need one per release. All Dolby will want is a sample of the encoded material to confirm the technology is being used correctly (as with Dolby Digital and even if they reject a file, they will tell you why it was rejected so you learn from it. I did when learning DD encoding as the first 3 samples I submitted all failed. never made the same mistake twice though)
Once Dolby are happy they will also send you the EPS HIgh Rez logos to use.
They'll also want to know what encoder is being used, as not all "DPL II" encoders are actually licensed by Dolby. SurCode all are so no problems there.

JUst drop me a line if I can help

Back