Very basic question about Quadraphonic Systems.. Help!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

static_ohm

Hello! I'm considering purchasing a Quad system that's popped up locally.. Pioneer QC-800A with a QM-800A + 4 Pioneer CS-99As, a PL-61 Turn table and an Akai 280D-SS reel to reel. Guy selling is the original owner and purchased it all new as a set in '73 or '74. Well cared for, it all looks to be in great condition and presumably all works (guy says he fired it up last June and it all worked as intended. No reason to believe that anything's changed.

SO- I've been collecting records and cassette tapes for a number of years. I've been interested in putting together a 4 speaker set up for a very long time. A quadraphonic system is obviously different than just having 4 speakers hooked up for a front and rear stereo set up sort of thing. Since learning more about quadraphonic systems, I'm very interested in exploring the mediums and records made for a quad set up, but what I can't seem to figure out is how a quadraphonic system treats regular stereo tapes and LPs. If I set this monster up, and throw on a normal LP, will I get the stereo sound coming out of the 2 pairs of speakers to achieve the Front / Rear stereo set up I've been interested in putting together? Or does a system like this only work with quadraphonic LPs/Tapes and it acts or sounds funny with standard stereo releases/equipment (like a turn table that's not equipped with a quadraphonic cartridge. I want to be able to casually explore quadraphonic life, but I don't want to lose my general ability to enjoy all the stereo records and tapes I have..

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

That sounds like a sweet system - I’d snap it up if the cost isn’t out of this world. A quad reel to reel as well - wow! I’m sure there are many members here who can give you the right advice... I’ve read about a rather nifty gadget called Surround Master that might be an additional help on your proposed system?

I’m pretty new here too and have become a massive fan of quad. :love:

I also wouldn’t rule out the more modern (ish) releases, however. There are some great albums released on SACD/DVDA/BLU RAY AUDIO but for that I’d guess you’d need to throw in an AVR... A lot of them have been mixed for 5.1 surround sound though. But a lot of the old quads have been remastered on the newer formats so it might be something to consider?

Anyway I’ll leave it to the experts but glad we’ve got another convert to the cause...

Hi Static Ohm, and welcome to QQ! I hope you will consider buying the system if you can. Stereo records will sound just as good on it, if not better with quad synthesis, should you choose to do so. I won't claim to be a Pioneer fan boy, but I am a fan of Akai tape decks and the turntable will be better than many affordable models of new tables available today. I suspect the decoders won't be the greatest, but you can buy outboard decoders, either vintage or the new Surround Master, and it will be a start that can let you know if you feel like upgrading as your record and tape collection increases in size. My first working quad setup was a very basic Toshiba all in one. It was modest and the decoders were very poor, but it gave me the flavour to want better. It had a nice sound, but separation was lousy. Now, I have to admit that I like my Sansui receiver, but I AM a fanboy of my JVC receiver, your tastes may differ. Please let us know if you decide to grab that system. And again, welcome to the QQ family.

Back