VIDEO COLLECTION DVD's with true 5.1 mixes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eminem Videos 4.1. Real mixes, not great but decent. Stan has great sounding bass!

Forgot to add this to the thread:

Freddie Mercury - The Video Collection

Dolby Digital 5.1, most if not all are true 5.1 mixes of varying quality. "Time" is the standout mix, it's nothing short of fantastic. All other mixes are quite enjoyable as well. Sound is very good throughout and all the music is, well, it's Freddie Mercury. You gotta love it.

This is one great sounding DVD! Great job by the mastering engineer. 5.1 mixes OK as you say but overall great sound. This DD release actually sounds better than some high resolution titles!

Pretty sure I have the Savage Garden and it's an upmix, I'll check over the w/end.

Did you check? Some times the music in rears is so low you can think it is an upmix when in fact it is a true 5.1. Example would be Helloween video collection. I turn the rears up +4db on that one. Stupid mixing choice! Why put music in the rears so low that one can not hear it?

Savage Garden claims to be in DD 51 as well. Not heard those yet.

image.jpg

I just picked this one up. Actually, I don't have many of these DVDV collection discs, so I don't know how helpful this will be. It's probably an upmix, but this one sounds pretty good to me. The vocals are in the center channel. The rears aren't totally discrete or anything. But, they add to the overall soundstage. SQ is on the bright side, but it's a nice listen. One complaint is that it's short...only 6 songs.

Oh, cool! Nice catch, Lute! I've been trying to get a hold of this to test, but no dice so far. Have you tried turning down invididual channels to see what's left in the others? If you turn off the center, are there still vocals?

The INXS Live Baby Live concert from Wembley (previously released on DVD in DTS 5.1) has recently been released on iTunes in digitally remastered HD (from original 35mm film source). Hopefully that may find its way to a Bluray release in lossless 5.1.

I always enjoyed that concert on DVD. Sounds great but not discrete, mainly crowd noise and ambience from the old Wembley Stadium. Great gig though and the sound field really does make you feel you are in the crowd.

Oh, cool! Nice catch, Lute! I've been trying to get a hold of this to test, but no dice so far. Have you tried turning down invididual channels to see what's left in the others? If you turn off the center, are there still vocals?

I turned off the center speaker and... Yes, the vocals are clearly audible in the front L/R speakers. And the center has pretty much the same information as the Front L/R. There is plenty of reverb of the vocals and other instruments in the rears. I can't really say that I hear anything discrete going on. So, I'd say this is an upmix. Hope I didn't get your hopes up with my post above. The music is still a lot of fun. Just wish there was more of it.

An interesting article on the approach to mixing the INXS disc. It would be a shame if there was never a hi-res version.

Thanks for the link. Afterwards I looked for it on amazon uk, and there was a review that suggested the mix isn't very discrete.

The INXS Live Baby Live concert from Wembley (previously released on DVD in DTS 5.1) has recently been released on iTunes in digitally remastered HD (from original 35mm film source). Hopefully that may find its way to a Bluray release in lossless 5.1.

I always enjoyed that concert on DVD. Sounds great but not discrete, mainly crowd noise and ambience from the old Wembley Stadium. Great gig though and the sound field really does make you feel you are in the crowd.

I remember Molly Meldrum blasting this album when it came out for extensive studio overdubbing. I think he gave a groveling apology the next week.

Oh man! This brings back a lot of memories and is just too good to resist. I'm a big fan of INXS. The DVD should be on its way. Thanks for the tip! :brew

Back