• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Tom Waits

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I was checking out tbis artist's releases and odds and ends and so forth.

TOM WAITS-BIG TIME (Island Visual Arts )

Make a long story short......I noticed that there was a release on DVD of his super performance Concert..BIG TIME. This was released for a short time so it's oop, no doubt.
I had this concert on both Beta hifi and VHS hifi decades back .

Anyone who can getme a copy of this DVD which was in surround btw (well the beta/vhs were dolby matrix) I'd really appreciate it.

This is the concert movie fr 88 or 89 which brought me into the strange world of Wait's music----WHAT A CONCERT !!!!

Even a copy is ok by me. Not fussy, just fizzy.

-thanks

It doesn't appear to have ever had an official DVD release

Now, that would be a diverting project for someone: get a nice transfer from a VHS (or preferably, Beta) in good condition and convert it to 5.1 DVD...

I was into Waits well before Big Time (not braggin', Fizzy), but I too saw that tour--at the Orpheum Theater in Minneapolis, yet (9th and Hennepin!), before it was renovated. Great fun. Would love to hear that classic string of albums--Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Frank's Wild Years--mixed for surround.

Now, that would be a diverting project for someone: get a nice transfer from a VHS (or preferably, Beta) in good condition and convert it to 5.1 DVD...

I was into Waits well before Big Time (not braggin', Fizzy), but I too saw that tour--at the Orpheum Theater in Minneapolis, yet (9th and Hennepin!), before it was renovated. Great fun. Would love to hear that classic string of albums--Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Frank's Wild Years--mixed for surround.

Hate to break the news, but Tom Waits entire catalogue has just been remastered for RBCD on the Anti label: https://www.deepdiscount.com/search?cr=Tom Waits|849584&mod=AP

I've always admired Waits and it would be nice to have some of his old Elektra/Asylum albums remixed into 5.1 but doubtful that'll ever happen.

Further info: https://thevinylfactory.com/news/tom-waits-reissues-albums-closing-time/

Hell...I'd brag. His Concerts seem to me to be the ultimate Waits experience .
Yes would be nice to get a trans o his concert movie , h-prof.

BTW QQ member Fourplay seems to be one of the reigning experts on all things TOM WAITS . Just thought I'd slip that info into our collective.

Hate to break the news, but Tom Waits entire catalogue has just been remastered for RBCD on the Anti label: https://www.deepdiscount.com/search?cr=Tom Waits|849584&mod=AP

I've always admired Waits and it would be nice to have some of his old Elektra/Asylum albums remixed into 5.1 but doubtful that'll ever happen.

Further info: https://thevinylfactory.com/news/tom-waits-reissues-albums-closing-time/
Yes thanks 4 ear.

I too noticed that ad via some mag. All his albums (Electra/Asylum)--that'd be his first 5 or 6 albums , all being remastered on his current label...ANTI Records .
may have to pick em up fwiw.

Quad Linda.....should take note... her fave Waits album "Closing Time " is now out and about . Should/Could
sound pretty fine being remastered and all.

Yes thanks 4 ear.

I too noticed that ad via some mag. All his albums (Electra/Asylum)--that'd be his first 5 or 6 albums , all being remastered on his current label...ANTI Records .
may have to pick em up fwiw.

Quad Linda.....should take note... her fave Waits album "Closing Time " is now out and about . Should/Could

It's funny you mention Closing Time as QUAD Linda's fav TW album. I've always been crazy about Closing Time, as well but read somewhere that its Wait's LEAST favorite album. Think I'll pick up a remastered copy, too. And Nighthawks at the Diner is another must purchase.

Two weeks ago, Deep Discount had ALL Wait's remastered albums for $9.99 each + a 15% off coupon sale. Should've bought them ALL @ $8.49 each, delivered!:(

Last edited:
...........found a few that all say on DVD-R

Tried to provide a link yesterday, Duncan.........but my ability to do so has disappeared with this new QQ format.

FWIW I may just get one even if it's some sort of off handed type of transfer from tape to dvdr. This Concert movie is just so very damn good.

This Concert movie is just so very damn good.

There is a great Letterman interview with the following exchange:

DL: ...how is the movie 'Big Time'? How is it being received?
TW: Well, it's kind of an action/ adventure film...
DL: Heh, heh, heh...
TW: It's eh. I think it's doing alright. It's eh. The reviews are coming in and eh.
DL: What kind of things are people saying about it?
TW: Well, a guy in Chicago said: "Piano teachers will be shocked." And eh, that was one of the good ones.
DL: Why is that, what in there will be shocking to piano teachers?
TW: I don't know. I eh, something with my technique. I don't know. Another guy said eh: "It looks like it was filmed in the belly of a very sick animal." [laughter].
DL: Well now, does that eh, does that please you. I mean is that what you were hoping to achieve, or is that... ?
TW: Well, it's pretty close eh.. Surprised they caught it [laughter].

By the by, for those of you in Colorado, there will be a screening of a 35mm print of the film Big Time (apparently borrowed from a collector) next Wednesday, 4/25/18, at 7:30pm in the Muenzinger Auditorium, on the CU campus in Boulder. I plan to attend. QQ meetup anyone?

EEYOW!! IF I said that Closing Time is my favorite Waits album, I didn't mean to.

Small Change is actually my fave Tom Waits album. Especially with the original Jayne Meadows & Revlon lyrics on the title track. Did I smell litigation threats?

For all you Waits fans, here's a bit of trivia: I went to school with Kathleen Brennan and lived in a town that may sound familiar: Johnsburg, Illinois.

"Ain't got no spare, ain't got no jack. You don't give a shit, you ain't never comin' back!" - TW

...Quad Linda.....should take note... her fave Waits album "Closing Time " is now out and about . Should/Could

EEYOW!! IF I said that Closing Time is my favorite Waits album, I didn't mean to.

Small Change is actually my fave Tom Waits album. Especially with the original Jayne Meadows & Revlon lyrics on the title track. Did I smell litigation threats?

For all you Waits fans, here's a bit of trivia: I went to school with Kathleen Brennan and lived in a town that may sound familiar: Johnsburg, Illinois.

"Ain't got no spare, ain't got no jack. You don't give a shit, you ain't never comin' back!" - TW
I probably got my titles mixed , no problem .

K.B. puts a wonderful shine on Tom's UMG years , me thinks.

Yeah, I passed on that title sorry to say.
I found Crystal was too prominent in her vocals..kinda drowning out Tom.

But if I get a chance I should do a redo and aquire that movie .

Yeah, I passed on that title sorry to say.
I found Crystal was too prominent in her vocals..kinda drowning out Tom.

But if I get a chance I should do a redo and aquire that movie .

One From The Heart is ONLY available as part of the 4~disc Francis Ford Coppola Collection which is actually probably cheaper than just buying the RBCD of One From The Heart: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Francis-Ford-Coppola-5-Film-Collection-Blu-ray/56236/#Review

Unfortunately, regarding the BD~V review of OFTH, the BD VIDEO transfer was done VERY poorly but the audio is fine and in 5.1: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/One-From-the-Heart-Blu-ray/56237/#Review

Depending on your taste, I find One From The Heart almost unwatchable today* [I have an older DVD copy] but the other films in the Coppola Collection are highly recommended....IF you want to go that route.

*a SNOOZEFEST....definitely style over substance

Last edited:
One From The Heart is ONLY available as part of the 4~disc Francis Ford Coppola Collection which is actually probably cheaper than just buying the RBCD of One From The Heart: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Francis-Ford-Coppola-5-Film-Collection-Blu-ray/56236/#Review

Unfortunately, regarding the BD~V review of OFTH, the BD VIDEO transfer was done VERY poorly but the audio is fine and in 5.1: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/One-From-the-Heart-Blu-ray/56237/#Review

Depending on your taste, I find One From The Heart almost unwatchable today* [I have an older DVD copy] but the other films in the Coppola Collection are highly recommended....IF you want to go that route.

*a SNOOZEFEST....definitely style over substance

YEAH, I had the Columbia/CBS cd.
not that great, but I think the movie has an isolated ST option ?

In looking over the extras on the BD~
YEAH, I had the Columbia/CBS cd.
not that great, but I think the movie has an isolated ST option ?

In looking over the extras on the BD~V disc, it does contain some alternate takes and isolated vocals [audio only] but since I don't have that disc I can't comment on the quality and/or whether it's 5.1 [IMO, probably NOT].

Back