.wav DTS from a Mac

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopTip

Is there a way to get a lockable .wav DTS signal from a Mac SPDIF output?

I tried iTunes, Quicktime, Real Player and all I get is hiss. Using the SPDIF output locks the system volume control but volume still works on these programs. So I suspect these programs are requantizing/reclocking the bit stream.

48kHz .dts signals work fine when using the Apple DVD Player (it has a check box in preferences to disable volume to let DTS/DD out).

But DVD Player does not play .wav files. .

Hoping you're still interested in the solution (only seen the question now). You need to open Utilies/Audio-Midi-Configuration and set the output freq matching to your file. so if you've got a dts-cd-file set it to 44,100, for a dts or ac-3-wav file from a dvd set it to 48,000. unfortunately you have to adjust this each time when you've got a lot of both cd and dvd-dts files. also, some programs automatically change those setting upon launch (dvd-player, soundtrack pro and others) and don't reset them, so you better check before playing your files.
this, plus the link from apple above should do it.
and maybe quit quicktime before changing things in audio-midi-configuration.

Back