We need a Quad First/Surround First reissue label

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done some investigating into licensing quad mixes, and "quadblocking" only negates releasing such titles for the US market, often the same titles are available for licensing in the EU or Japan, and it doesn't matter if the work is done in the US as long as the product is not released in the US. Of course, imports can't be kept out if customers know how to get them.

This is a very interesting piece of information you have discovered, thank you Quadwreck.

We may just get thngs like Janis' Pearl fresh from the Quad Masters someday after all.. :)

Well if that's the case, why can't we do more of them? I myself did some underground/unauthorized Quad albums much in the same vain where I picked 12-15 classic Quad titles within a certain genre and shared them via the internets. I had a Rock title, a Soul/R&B title, Country and I was working on a Pop and Rock #2 when life gave me lemons.

But, those just being basic DTS CD-s were some of the most downloaded discs I'd ever posted on Demonoid.

So, why not invest in something like that? License a bunch of songs within a Genre and go for broke! If it was a business plan that did well - fuckin' run with it, baby!! To be honest, some of those full albums were only purchased for the one or two good songs on 'em. I'd much rather have a compilation or Greatest Hits package with some really rippin' tunes.

This is a fantastic idea!!

If albums for certain artists are non-starters and compilations do good business for AF,
why not do a series of Themed Collections as suggested!

So many artists to choose from in each genre, you'd be spoilt for choice!

Hard Rock: Aerosmith, Allman Brothers Band, Argent, Azteca, Black Sabbath, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Blue Öyster Cult, Buddy Miles Band/Buddy Miles Express, Deep Purple, Doobies, Eagles, Edgar Winter, Grand Funk Railroad, James Gang, Janis Joplin, Jeff Beck, Johnny Winter, Mountain, Poco, Reo Speedwagon, Rick Derringer, Santana, Steve Miller, Ted Nugent, Ten Years After, Three Dog Night, West Bruce & Laing

Soul/R&B: Al Green, Ann Peebles, Average White Band, Billy Paul, BT Express, Curtis Mayfield, Diana Ross, Donny Hathaway, Earth Wind & Fire, Four Tops, Graham Central Station, Harold Melvin, Hues Corporation, Isaac Hayes, Isley Brothers, Jackson 5, Johnnie Taylor, Labelle, Manhattans, Marvin Gaye, MFSB, Miracles, Ohio Players, O'Jays, Roberta Flack, Rufus Ft Chaka Khan, Spinners, Staple Singers, Stylistics, Temptations, Tower Of Power, Van McCoy, Wild Cherry

Rock & Pop: America, Andy Williams, Art Garfunkel, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Billy Joel, Bread, Blood Sweat & Tears, Bob Dylan, Burton Cummings, Byrds, Carly Simon, Carole King, Carpenters, Credence Clearwater Revival, Dan Fogelberg, Dave Mason, David Essex, David Gates, Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks, Eric Carmen, Gordon Lightfoot, Grass Roots, Guess Who, Hot Tuna, Janis Ian, Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Jim Croce, Johnny Mathis, Johnny Nash, Jose Feliciano, Lee Michaels, Liza Minnelli, Loggins & Messina, Minnie Riperton, Moody Blues, Mott The Hoople, Neil Diamond, New Seekers, Pure Prairie League, Raiders, Redbone, Seals & Crofts, Sergio Mendes, Stardrive Ft Robert Mason, Steely Dan, Synergy Ft Larry Fast

Jazz: Billy Cobham, Brecker Brothers, Buddy Rich, Chase, Chuck Mangione, Deodato, Don Ellis, Don Sebesky, Gato Barbieri, Grover Washington Jr., Herbie Hancock, Larry Coryell, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Maynard Ferguson, Miles Davis, Percy Faith, Quincy Jones, Ramsey Lewis Trio, Return To Forever, Weather Report

Country: Arlo Guthrie, Charley Pride, Charlie McCoy, Charlie Rich, George Jones & Tammy W., Johnny Cash, Lynn Anderson, Kris Kristofferson, Mac Davis, Michael Murphey, New Riders Of The Purple Sage, Tammy Wynette

..that should keep us going for a few years :D

Read my post again! I think we're in violent agreement. All I know about your buying habits is that you'd support a subscription model. I would not. Hence, our buying habits ] to differ.

I don't think many would support a subscription model, I might not if I did like enough of the picks. Then you have what I described, one fan likes Jim Croce and Bette Midler, the other much prefers Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, and BOC.

So the quad albums that need to be resurrected and re-presented as new masters are too varied, and no longer universal evergreens.

The in-fighting would begin quickly. :music

And your $1,000 would likely cover one day of mastering which is nice.

Last edited:
I don't think many would support a subscription model, I might not if I did like enough of the picks. Then you have what I described, one fan likes Jim

And you $1,000 would likely cover one day of mastering which is nice.

Two things: (1) I didn't mean to imply that $1,000 would solve anything, but that a bunch of us nut-cases each ponying up a chunk of change could result in a successful Kickstarter campaign. I know this to be true, as I've participated in several Kickstarter campaigns that succeeded in bringing niche products to life. One example that fellow QQers might appreciate is Elliot Landy's The Band Photographs: 1968-1969. I copyedited this book, as well as backing it:) About 900 backers put together about $200,000 to make this happen. Why can't we do the same thing for Pretzel Logic or Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player?

(2) As for "a day of mastering" I don't need or want any stinking mastering, or authoring for that matter. Just give me a flac file of the ES 5.1 channel mix of Pretzel Logic, as it currently exists, and I'll be a happy man. I'm can't be the only one who feels this way. Whatever format music is sold in, I just rip it and transcode it to flac anyway, and put the media in a box under my bed. (One exception: if it's lossy, e.g., DTS, I leave it as DTS, as it would make little sense to waste more space on my NAS with a much larger flac file.)

Always stymied me as to what ATLANTIC RECORDS did for quad in the 70's.?:rolleyes:

I don't mind some, well very few really, of their quad picks at the time. An awful lot of Jazz, R&B, Soul centric releases and yet they had the WHO'S WHO of Progressive Rock.!!

YES, ELP, KING CRIMSON, GENESIS and LED ZEPPELIN (I'm sure I'm missing some).All very much iconic and great sales no doubt, but yet no quads ?? (ok one Q8).

I think the term at the time was well suited-"never trust anybody over thirty".:violin

But now, well we have a change of mind of sorts with Atlantic DGM, good and great thing really.But it is ARTIST driven for the most part.
Profit be dammed, this seems to be the only way we see our faves in surround today.
Maybe it's the only way, or the "main" way.

As to the Collection,

I'm really getting into my copy.And sorry Fredie but I like the Friends Of Distinction track and I don't dig much soul and R&B.Also love the O'Jays quad mix but still studying others.The Dylan is top notch and so is The Miles Davis, the Davis is an excellet quad mix, I think, and like this as new music to me.
I hope we do get a WEA sampler but not a fan of AWB but maybe that's just me.Had that CD-4 disc but not liked the tunes/style.But well, we get what we get.They do have a large number of artists I do like though.

Oh before I forget, THE ROLLING STONES were also on Atlantic during the quad years ! So they gave us Monkey Grip ?? Perhaps good for the title track only.

Always stymied me as to what ATLANTIC RECORDS did for quad in the 70's.?:rolleyes:

I don't mind some, well very few really, of their quad picks at the time. An awful lot of Jazz, R&B, Soul centric releases and yet they had the WHO'S WHO of Progressive Rock.!!

YES, ELP, KING CRIMSON, GENESIS and LED ZEPPELIN (I'm sure I'm missing some).All very much iconic and great sales no doubt, but yet no quads ?? (ok one Q8).

I think the term at the time was well suited-"never trust anybody over thirty".:violin

But now, well we have a change of mind of sorts with Atlantic DGM, good and great thing really.But it is ARTIST driven for the most part.
Profit be dammed, this seems to be the only way we see our faves in surround today.
Maybe it's the only way, or the "main" way.

As to the Collection,

I'm really getting into my copy.And sorry Fredie but I like the Friends Of Distinction track and I don't dig much soul and R&B.Also love the O'Jays quad mix but still studying others.The Dylan is top notch and so is The Miles Davis, the Davis is an excellet quad mix, I think, and like this as new music to me.
I hope we do get a WEA sampler but not a fan of AWB but maybe that's just me.Had that CD-4 disc but not liked the tunes/style.But well, we get what we get.They do have a large number of artists I do like though.

Oh before I forget, THE ROLLING STONES were also on Atlantic during the quad years ! So they gave us Monkey Grip ?? Perhaps good for the title track only.

Ah well.. this illustrates perfectly why a subscription wouldn't work, even just taking two people at random who both love their Quad..

- Fizzy's not into Soul/R&B.. generally speaking I love it (and would love for almost all of the Soul/R&B Quads ever made to be reissued in the long run!).

- Fizzy likes the Friends Of Distinction. I hate them (really. awful.).

- Fizzy hates AWB, I LOVE them (superb group and one of the best Warner & assoc label Quad mixes imho.. shame it was never on Quad Reel back in the day or I'd have sold a kidney to pay for one.. and then bust the other kidney lugging the required RTR machinery around to play it on! :eek: ).

Now one thing we DO agree on in all this Quad malarkey = Monkey Grip SUCKS monkey ass.
Please God I hope that old Quad never gets reissued, ever.. :D

Two things: (1) I didn't mean to imply that $1,000 would solve anything, but that a bunch of us nut-cases each ponying up a chunk of change could result in a successful Kickstarter campaign. I know this to be true, as I've participated in several Kickstarter campaigns that succeeded in bringing niche products to life. One example that fellow QQers might appreciate is Elliot Landy's The Band Photographs: 1968-1969. I copyedited this book, as well as backing it:) About 900 backers put together about $200,000 to make this happen. Why can't we do the same thing for Pretzel Logic or Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player?

(2) As for "a day of mastering" I don't need or want any stinking mastering, or authoring for that matter. Just give me a flac file of the ES 5.1 channel mix of Pretzel Logic, as it currently exists, and I'll be a happy man. I'm can't be the only one who feels this way. Whatever format music is sold in, I just rip it and transcode it to flac anyway, and put the media in a box under my bed. (One exception: if it's lossy, e.g., DTS, I leave it as DTS, as it would make little sense to waste more space on my NAS with a much larger flac file.)

I agree a Kickstarter/crowdfunding type thing could totally work for us to get some of the unreleased 5.1's released at last.. and some of the old Quads out there again too.

I also agree, at this point, the format they ultimately end up getting released on, almost seems irrelevant.. so long as it's a Lossless Hi-Res Surround presentation. I'd settle for 96/24 5.1 FLAC if that's the most economical way to do it and keep the sound quality levels acceptably high.

As regards mastering & transfers (I feel all that will be necessary, we want these to sound better than ever after all.. :) ).. we have a number of extremely talented QQ Members in these areas of expertise.. maybe one or two of them might consider doing these projects for the QQ community, they might even be willing to waiver their usual fees and/or do it for less than their gong rate, etc.? Mmm...Maybe.. :eek:

There are sites with Multichannel downloads today, mostly track by track vs. ISO.
Give them a try. After all, more Multichannel download sales is what gets their attention. :)

• Native DSD - 790 Multichannel downloads
  • Primephonic - 228 Multichannel downloads
  • Pentatone - 228 Multichannel ISO downloads
  • Spirit of Turtle - 108 Multichannel downloads
  • HD Klassik - 99 Multichannel downloads
  • 2L - 80 Multichannel downloads
  • Cybele - 58 Multichannel downloads
  • Channel Classics - 19 Multichannel downloads
  • Acoustic Sounds - 10 Multichannel downloads
  • Downloads Now - 4 Multichannel downloads
  • David Elias - 2 Multichannel downloads
  • High Definition Tape Transfers - 2 Multichannel downloads
  • Blue Coast - 1 Multichannel download
  • HDTracks - 1 Multichannel download

In addition to these, eClassical.com has many multichannel downloads of BIS releases, priced the same as stereo. As far as I know the multichannel downloads they offer aren't available elsewhere. As you can guess, it's all classical.

Ok.. I'll try again..

"What Non-Classical/Popular music is currently being offered in Multichannel form for download and where?"

Can anybody tell me, please??

Ok.. I'll try again..

"What Non-Classical/Popular music is currently being offered in Multichannel form for download and where?"

Can anybody tell me, please??

ji eff set up a site of freebie stuff. Did you get a chance to check that out?
I know it's not reissues of classics, but I really think it's some strong stuff (not to toot my own horn - there is a teaser of the album I'm trying to finish and I really think it's coming along really well)!

http://www.surround4life.com/

I know it's not reissues of classics, but I really think it's some strong stuff (not to toot my own horn - there is a teaser of the album I'm trying to finish and I really think it's coming along really well)!

I did! Thank you very much! :)

tbh I only gave it all a cursory listen through just the once, there was so much of it.. and all for nuffink guv'nah! :yikes
but I greatly enjoyed what I heard.! :upthumb

..once I'm off me old Quad vinyl trip (won't be long) I'll get stuck back into all the new 5.1 goodies out there, with a vengeance :D

I think ol freddie means "a label or leading label" but I may be wrong ?

And to:

Freddie, I've come a long way in my musical tastes.Would never have given most R&B SOUL JAZZ much of a spin way back but now.......well I'm kinda enjoying the Collection, it's growing on me and that includes the Soul R&B tracks.Wish there was more RCA content.But there's always a next time.(y)

I like Eclectic's suggestion:

A DTS CD (or Dvd) would be just fine with me.

btw Cool job with that book for The Band !

Sorry though and I regret it now, I passed on the Rock Of Ages DD DVD-TOO PRICEY 4 me.I hope but well it may be too late, that they re-issue that disc set.

I think ol freddie means "a label or leading label" but I may be wrong ?

And to:

Freddie, I've come a long way in my musical tastes.Would never have given most R&B SOUL JAZZ much of a spin way back but now.......well I'm kinda enjoying the Collection, it's growing on me and that includes the Soul R&B tracks.Wish there was more RCA content.But there's always a next time.(y)

Of course I do, Fizzy! Its the big Quad elephant in the room..!! Who is selling the downloadable music in surround so many of us here and elsewhere want..??

Glad to hear it! (Not least because there's tons of fabulous Soul & R&B Quads still left languishing in the vaults! :D )

yes..surround's been quite the eye opener (and ear opener) for me too..

fwiw and purely imho, almost all the best R&B/Soul Quads were on labels other than RCA or Warner & its associated labels.. :eek:

Oh, doubtless! But it did honestly answer his question. It is a site, right now, with multichannel, well-mixed, downloadable content and not all of it is classical.
Technically, none of it is popular, but it could be some day! :mad:@:

Very true, Baggsy Boo, it did answer his question! :upthumb

No music has any chance of becoming "popular" without exposure..

(even indecent exposure can be helpful.. there's no such thing as bad publicity! :D )

I like Eclectic's suggestion:

A DTS CD (or Dvd) would be just fine with me.

btw Cool job with that book for The Band !

Sorry though and I regret it now, I passed on the Rock Of Ages DD DVD-TOO PRICEY 4 me.I hope but well it may be too late, that they re-issue that disc set.

Thanks! I passed on the set too, for the same reason. Of course I have the old stereo version.

I think we would be best off by financing the surround layer on AF product. But I don't think anyone would go for it.

Like if their costs for stereo SACD is $19,000 printing and pressing costs, stereo mastering and authoring another $6,000, and the quad licensing, mastering, and additional authoring costs $5,000. I'd be willing to bet we would need to cough up $5,000 per title for AF to go ahead with that additional layer.

$19,000 licensing fees, pressings with printing costs
$6,000 stereo mastering costs with authoring
$5,000 additional licensing & mastering costs for quad
-----
$30,000 to get one SACD to market with quad layer.

I'm not that far off, I am somewhere in there, these reissues are somewhere in the ballpark of 30k to go from idea to shipping out to those folks who "got their's but haven't listen yet" or got theirs, love the stereo, but are confused by an additional surround layer. LOL

I don't think members here would go for that. You would have some that want that other BOC album, and others who want Doobies, and some Mystic Moods Orchestra. When it came time to collect the cash, the forum might turn into a ghost town.

Are there 50 members here with an extra $100 in their checking accounts willing to go for "Tyranny and Mutation"? Or is "Billion Dollar Babies" more your thing? Or is there 100 members who would go $50? Hey you get a free copy of the SACD for your pledge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(standing by... with checkbook in hand)

I can't answer for anyone else but I would have pledged something extra for Musicmagic and Tale Spinnin' to have happened in Quad.. nobody else will ever do them in Surround now :(

I can't answer for anyone else but I would have pledged something extra for Musicmagic and Tale Spinnin' to have happened in Quad.. nobody else will ever do them in Surround now :(

"Something extra" is not really coughing up $100 USD X 2. We need you to be our trailblazing role model here!

You can live on 1/2 the food you normally eat you know, and stash away $25 a week.

Back