Welcome Bruce Soord from The Pineapple Thief - Q&A Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Robert!
The new album will likely get a 5.1 but as Bruce said not sure if we'll get a chance to put that onto a DVD-A or V. Maybe download only but we'll see.
The first album as you rightly have gathered is indeed delayed to December (it's been finished since December last year!). Currently no plans for Bruce to remix that although incidentally our second album includes a couple of tracks from the first one which have been 'reimagined' and rearranged.
hi Umair, can you give an update on the band and release plans? Thanks.

We actually just did an album launch gig 2 weeks ago in Karachi, Pakistan, for the first album, where we had live Quadrophonic sound (a first for Pakistan). That performance was pro shot and recorded so we plan to release that as a live album with quadrophonic / 5.1 sound - but lots of work to do before that's ready.

No current plans to release the first album as a 5.1, but the 2nd one will definitely have a Bruce Soord 5.1 mix - again, release plans TBD.

Bruce can you lay off the compression please?

Geez, why don't you lay off this obsession of knocking Bruce Soord?
And anyway, how on earth do you know that Bruce is the one that's adding too much compression? YOU DON'T!

Credits for the Katatonia "Sanctitude" and Anathema "A Sort of Homecoming" Blu-Rays:
2.0 Stereo & 5.1 Surround Sound Mixed by Bruce Soord
Mastered by Steve Kitch at Audiomaster.co.uk

Credit from the Opeth "Deliverance/Damnation" release:
Mastering by Jaime Gomez

I don't have the 5.1 downloads, but it's also well-known that Bruce worked from mixed stems for the TesseracT release, so he could not control the processing that had already been added to the stems he was sent.
So what am I trying to get at? Unless you heard Bruce's raw mixes before mastering, you don't know whether he is the one adding too much compression or not, so stop throwing stones at him!

And anyway, how on earth do you know that Bruce is the one that's adding too much compression? YOU DON'T!

Credits for the Katatonia "Sanctitude" and Anathema "A Sort of Homecoming" Blu-Rays:

Mastering by Jaime Gomez

I don't have the 5.1 downloads, but it's also well-known that Bruce worked from mixed stems for the TesseracT release, so he could not control the processing that had already been added to the stems he was sent.
So what am I trying to get at? Unless you heard Bruce's raw mixes before mastering, you don't know whether he is the one adding too much compression or not, so stop throwing stones at him!

I emailed Steve, he did NOT touch the Blu Ray.

Bruce can you lay off the compression please?

I know this is not going to be popular but I agree with keenly in that I wish Bruce S. mix's would not have as much compression as they do.
Even Bruce S. solo album had compression it was not terrible as I love his solo album, the songs are amazing but I think if it had been mixed/mastered more like Steve Wilson's solo it would have been a 10/10 for his solo album in my books. I knocked off one point for it not being lossless but I would still have given it a 9/10 due to the compression applied.
If you check out Pineapple Thief's cd's they are all compressed quite a bit as well, that's Bruce's band.
All the mix's Bruce has been involved in so far have been compressed, I think it is something he likes to do as part of his sound.
As long as doesn't go over board then it shouldn't be a issue.
I am happy Bruce Soord is doing 5.1 mixes, he definitely has a good ear for putting music into surround field.

peter

Yep, looks red, http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year/desc?artist=Pineapple+thief definately something to think about for Bruce when he starts on the TPT catalogue. More dynamic range. And if he is working on the Riverside catalogue, a more dynamic master would be appreciated as well :)

Addition: it would make the mixes even better, as it brings out the quality even more.

Mastering by Jaime Gomez

Grow up and stop taking things personal. People on here bitch and moan over petty things like packaging and you have the nerve act offended by me expressing a genuine gripe?

I speak the truth. I have said nothing bad about Bruce, I am sure he is a great guy. Nearly all of his mixes have been very compressed. That is a fact, not an opinion.

I never complain when discs are DTS and not lossless, unlike most people on here(maybe you you tell them if you hate complaints). I never complain about packaging, art work etc. I voice the truth on compression. There is NO reason to make 5.1 files or discs super loud. It is futile, serves absolutely no purpose.

A sort Of Homecoming.

Sanctitude has a tame surround mix but is not compressed to death.

Oh ok. I don't have "A Sort of Homecoming" yet so I was just going off of the credits on Discogs.com, but this is usually an unwarranted attack on the mixing engineer when most can't even name the mastering engineer for any given surround release.
In this particular instance, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I have actually heard "A Sort of Homecoming".

I think this is the kind of situation where everybody is right, at least to some extent.
Traditionally, the most likey point in the processing chain where compression is applied to an entire mix is mastering. However, it certainly can be applied during the mixing stage. IMO, the ideal volume for a modern recording is where the loudest peaks are somewhere near zero, and if any limiting has been applied, it has been done very gently, maybe lightly taming a few fly-away peaks. But I don't want the peaks all evened out across an entire song (and much less an entire album).
As has been well-discussed on this site, Tusk 5.1 has been significantly limited. Thankfully, the engineer stopped short of obvious clipping, but, it is very unnatural that human musicians would all play exactly at 0db for a solid hour. This "machine gun" sound does not benefit music that should be so organic.
While the loudness of Bruce's mixes might not be his fault (or not all the time), maybe he can begin to take the Steven Wilson approach, as he more or less forbids limiting on his mixes now (to wonderful effect).

Grow up and stop taking things personal. People on here bitch and moan over petty things like packaging and you have the nerve act offended by me expressing a genuine gripe?

I speak the truth. I have said nothing bad about Bruce, I am sure he is a great guy. Nearly all of his mixes have been very compressed. That is a fact, not an opinion.

I never complain when discs are DTS and not lossless, unlike most people on here(maybe you you tell them if you hate complaints). I never complain about packaging, art work etc. I voice the truth on compression. There is NO reason to make 5.1 files or discs super loud. It is futile, serves absolutely no purpose.

So you are a wonderful person who speaks the truth and have nothing bad to say about Bruce Soord.

I quote your post #7 in the thread 'Riverside in 5.1'

"I hope Bruce is not doing this one! He will butcher it like the others he has done". Very respectful indeed in expressing your opinion.

And speaking of truth, I still await some hard data (like Dynamic Range measurements) to support your claims the 5.1 audio mix (by Bruce Soord) on Anathema's "A Sort of Homecoming" is 'compressed to death'. Please post some 'facts' to back up your 'truthful' statement on compression for this Blu-ray release.

Hey Bruce,

You've probably been asked this a million times lol, but how are things progressing with Abducted at Birth? Could this album be the first of the reissues to warrant a Hi-Res version perhaps?

And your solo debut is very good too btw. I've yet to check out the 5.1 though. And your remix of Opeth's Deliverance too was fabulous. :)

I think Bruce Soord must have taken some of our comments to heart, what a great guy as look at his tweet sent out today about the Pineapple Thief album coming out soon:

"The new @pineapplethief album will have lossless 5.1 and fully dynamic mixes for all formats. But remember it's a rock album, not Mozart."

Love seeing that he says "Lossless" and "fully dynamic", thats music to my ears as his writing and playing is already stellar so with those 2 added plus's, this should be great.

Looking forward to getting this.

I think Bruce Soord must have taken some of our comments to heart, what a great guy as look at his tweet sent out today about the Pineapple Thief album coming out soon:

"The new @pineapplethief album will have lossless 5.1 and fully dynamic mixes for all formats. But remember it's a rock album, not Mozart."

Love seeing that he says "Lossless" and "fully dynamic", thats music to my ears as his writing and playing is already stellar so with those 2 added plus's, this should be great.

Looking forward to getting this.

Excellent!!

And, hopefully the 5.1 isn't relegated to some pre-order FLAC download code, and we can get a physical copy. I'd assume TPT has enough clout to warrant an actual DVD... (I'll take it either way, at this point, honestly...) Very stoked for this. I've waited a very long time for TPT 5.1:banana:

Back